03 showing its age, need new vehicle soon

bluestang41505

Established Member
My mustang is a 03' built in 02'. So the pony is over 10 years old and has really just started to show its at the point of needing serious work. Its been my daily driver since I bought it in April of 2004 with roughly 75k miles on it now. The only parts I have had to replace besides normal maintenance parts is a air compressor. I have been through 4 alternators and just put in my third battery. I am still on the original clutch/tranny. I replaced the coil packs and plugs with ngk parts almost 3 years ago and has run like a top since. Well... seems like the years have caught up. Within one week, last week, my blinker goes nuts when turning it on to go left, my headlights went out for some still unknown reason, and my drivers window will no longer go down. :shrug:

To top it off, I have a 9 month old baby and getting him and his sister in the car with his stuff is an absolute nightmare. I always dreamed of keeping my mustang forever, especially considering its considerable personal meaning to me and my family, much less wanting it to be a future project car for me and the kids. Sadly, I need a bigger vehicle and the stang just won't cut it and I can't afford or am physically capable of keeping it, if I get another vehicle. The worst part of it all is I am liking the Ram Express and the deals with new dodge vehicles right now and not any F-150 :shrug:. Any input on a new Truck? Oh and end rant :cuss::(

Kiohtee

Established Member
As long as you've properly maintained it it shouldn't be in need of anything major yet. The things you've listed are minor at best and to be expected. But if you need a new vehicle for other reasons as well, fix what's wrong with it and you could easily sell it for $6-8K.

Really it sounds like all it needs is some bulbs replaced and a driver's side window switch. Let the next owner worry about the original clutch if it's still OK. Another $200 in maintenance, if that, could be the difference between a $5K offer and a $7K offer.

As far as my opinion on a new truck; those Dodge Rams are nice units!

bluestang41505

Established Member
As long as you've properly maintained it it shouldn't be in need of anything major yet. The things you've listed are minor at best and to be expected. But if you need a new vehicle for other reasons as well, fix what's wrong with it and you could easily sell it for $6-8K.

Really it sounds like all it needs is some bulbs replaced and a driver's side window switch. Let the next owner worry about the original clutch if it's still OK. Another $200 in maintenance, if that, could be the difference between a $5K offer and a $7K offer.

As far as my opinion on a new truck; those Dodge Rams are nice units!

Yup you are correct, just having these little things go bad makes me worry like my clutch is going to go out next week and since its so old I know there will be a whole smorgasbord of parts needed to be replaced just because of wear. It happened when I changed my whole suspension. I needed all new ball joints and this and that just because it was old. I know its the price we pay to play but damn.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Yup you are correct, just having these little things go bad makes me worry like my clutch is going to go out next week and since its so old I know there will be a whole smorgasbord of parts needed to be replaced just because of wear. It happened when I changed my whole suspension. I needed all new ball joints and this and that just because it was old. I know its the price we pay to play but damn.

Wait until you actually build a car, if you ever do. :lol:

I had the motor built in my '97 Cobra to the tune of almost $9,000 (including all parts and labor as well as tuning)! Literally two days after I got it back, I bent/broke a shift fork. It was another $1,000 for a transmission and labor. All this for a car that I only paid $6,250 for originally! It just sold for $5,100 in perfect running condition. :nonono:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
You have some sort of electrical fault somewhere.

You're gonna have a tough time selling it with those issues. Imo you might as well have it fixed and keep it, the rest of your issues is hardly enough to deem the car unreliable or "showing it's age"

MissionMan

u mad
Established Member
The worst part of it all is I am liking the Ram Express and the deals with new dodge vehicles right now and not any F-150 :shrug:. Any input on a new Truck? Oh and end rant :cuss::(

I was dead set on getting a mopar truck when reality struck. when you are spending the amount of money you will be spending on a new/newer truck....get THE BEST truck for your money. Because youll be spending alot of it. The fords are the most desirable and hold the best value. Im not saying rams, tundra, titans, gms arent also nice trucks. Im saying the f150s sell like hot cakes and hold value because everyone wants them for a reason.

what size/type of truck are you looking for?

The cheapest 4x4 V8 F150 extended cab will run you $29k after rebates right now. Stepping up to crew cab is another $4-6k. Is this a primary family vehicle? if so, get the crew. Secondary family vehicle? Supercab is fine.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Be really sure you want to sell your Cobra before you actually put it up for sale. My advice is to fix the issues (which you should do anyway, even if you sell it) and then drive it for a couple of weeks. See if at the end of those two weeks if you still think it is showing its age. If you do, then maybe you are ready for a change.

Don't jump to a quick decision that might make you look back and regret it.

Kiohtee

Established Member
be really sure you want to sell your cobra before you actually put it up for sale. My advice is to fix the issues (which you should do anyway, even if you sell it) and then drive it for a couple of weeks. See if at the end of those two weeks if you still think it is showing its age. If you do, then maybe you are ready for a change.

gt.

Stinger2011

Established Member
I felt the same way for awhile with my car. Now the major problems are fixed and I love it again. I couldn't see myself selling it in the future.

If I were in your shoes, I'd try to save up for a cheap, cheap older model car, suv, or truck and keep the mustang. That way you save the mustang and you don't pay $20,000+ on a vehicle. Just what I would do, though.

bluestang41505

Established Member
I felt the same way for awhile with my car. Now the major problems are fixed and I love it again. I couldn't see myself selling it in the future.

If I were in your shoes, I'd try to save up for a cheap, cheap older model car, suv, or truck and keep the mustang. That way you save the mustang and you don't pay $20,000+ on a vehicle. Just what I would do, though.

I would love to do that, but if I get a new vehicle I cannot keep the stang, I have nowhere to keep it or keep up with the insurance on two vehicles.

Be really sure you want to sell your Cobra before you actually put it up for sale. My advice is to fix the issues (which you should do anyway, even if you sell it) and then drive it for a couple of weeks. See if at the end of those two weeks if you still think it is showing its age. If you do, then maybe you are ready for a change.

Don't want to sell at all, I was just saying that a bunch of little things went bad at once and that is irritating, hence why I said I was ranting.

I was dead set on getting a mopar truck when reality struck. when you are spending the amount of money you will be spending on a new/newer truck....get THE BEST truck for your money. Because youll be spending alot of it. The fords are the most desirable and hold the best value. Im not saying rams, tundra, titans, gms arent also nice trucks. Im saying the f150s sell like hot cakes and hold value because everyone wants them for a reason.

what size/type of truck are you looking for?

The cheapest 4x4 V8 F150 extended cab will run you $29k after rebates right now. Stepping up to crew cab is another $4-6k. Is this a primary family vehicle? if so, get the crew. Secondary family vehicle? Supercab is fine.

If I got a truck right this minute it would be my primary vehicle but a secondary family vehicle. The gf has a 2013 Taurus Limited and its awesome, but I want a truck. Back in 04 when I got the stang I looked at a 03 ram hemi and wanted it with a passion, but I got a killer deal on the stang. Been DDing it for 9 years and don't regret it for one second, but I have come face to face with reality and realized I need a vehicle I am comfortable in, not to mention feel safe in toting around the family. If i got to chose a truck right now it be a F150 4 door with the 5.0 or Ecoboost hands down. I definitely need the best quality truck all around because I would have it for probably another 10 years.

You have some sort of electrical fault somewhere.

You're gonna have a tough time selling it with those issues. Imo you might as well have it fixed and keep it, the rest of your issues is hardly enough to deem the car unreliable or "showing it's age"

I guess I should have mentioned that my headlights arent working but Im using DDM Tunings HID Kit. My fogs and headlight ambers work perfect. I think the relay harness box from the HID kit fried from getting wet from all the crazy rain we had a few weeks ago. Had the kit over a year and no problems whatsoever. When I said showing it's age, I really wasn't being critical but rather impressed, i was just ranting at the moment. Having all these problems start on a 10 year old Daily driven ford is amazing since we all know these little things happen on much more expensive cars within a few years of age. Couple hundred bucks and im good to go.

4a7191a

Established Member
Keep it if its paid for and get another DD. Best thing youd ever do in your life. :). The trade in will be crap and it won't cut much from your note. And if you sale it out right you have to fix it regardless.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Don't want to sell at all, I was just saying that a bunch of little things went bad at once and that is irritating, hence why I said I was ranting.

Sadly, I need a bigger vehicle and the stang just won't cut it and I can't afford or am physically capable of keeping it, if I get another vehicle. The worst part of it all is I am liking the Ram Express and the deals with new dodge vehicles right now and not any F-150 . Any input on a new Truck?

I'm confused then. Your thread title is '03 showing its age, need new vehicle soon'. Reading your posts it seemed pretty clear that you were considering getting rid of the Mustang and going with a truck because you needed a bigger vehicle and couldn't afford two vehicles. I guess I totally misunderstood your comments. :shrug:

Best of luck with your decision, whatever you do.

bluestang41505

Established Member
Keep it if its paid for and get another DD. Best thing youd ever do in your life. :). The trade in will be crap and it won't cut much from your note. And if you sale it out right you have to fix it regardless.

This would be the ultimate goal, if possible, right now I don't have that option if I decide to get a new vehicle.

Lol so it's not even the cars fault it's DDM tunings fault.

Get a new relay. Fix the other Shit. Call it a day.

It might be their harness. Its really just a guess since im not getting any power to the ballasts and all my other lights work. I would have had this fixed as a couple days ago, but USPS apparently delivered my relay to the wrong place so now its under investigation by them. This will start my 3rd week with no main headlights and it takes 2 weeks to get anything from ddm/China. :bored:

I'm confused then. Your thread title is '03 showing its age, need new vehicle soon'. Reading your posts it seemed pretty clear that you were considering getting rid of the Mustang and going with a truck because you needed a bigger vehicle and couldn't afford two vehicles. I guess I totally misunderstood your comments. :shrug:

Best of luck with your decision, whatever you do.

No your pretty much spot on, I guess I could have really made two different threads out of it. One about a bunch of issues popping up at once and the other about a looking into another vehicle. Sorry for the confusion. :beer:

Kiohtee

Established Member
75k miles and all that. Hmmmmm

You act like it's got a ton of problems lol. I could be way off here, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't turn signals act up when other bulbs are out/not working? His headlights and turn signal problem could be one in the same if I'm thinking right. And surely all his window needs is a new motor or to be put back on track if it has fallen off.

With 75K miles, as long as it's clean and runs out good, I'd give $7K for it in a heartbeat!

99GTvert

Established Member
I'd wait for the new f150. I'm in the same boat, just did a bunch of work to my truck to hold me over a year or two until the new one comes out.

N93XCHP

Established Member
Just fix it because it seems like you don't wanna get rid of the Mustang. I also have times where I want to sell my Mustang because of the smallest problems overwhelming me at a bad time. All I do is just leave it alone for either a few hours or day then come back fix them and be happy with my car again.

ModMike1572

Established Member
Well, if you do decide to get the Ram Express, you wont be dissapointed.

I have a 2013 with 395 HP, over 400 ft lbs trq, can tow 10,000 lbs.... a lot of truck for the 299/lease I'm paying.

Users who are viewing this thread