03 cobra starter issue

dgwatkins0990

Established Member
I got my dad's 03 cobra awhile back and decided to do some upgrades. I put kooks long tube headers on and when I went to put the starter back on it won't fit between the header and engine. I believe the only option is to drop the k member back down and go in from the side between the header pipes. just seems like a ton of work just for a starter does anyone have any ideas or other options I can consider?

Murderedsvt

Established Member
Maybe loosen the header bolts to squeeze the starter in, if the k member has to be dropped I would get a tubular one just to make things easier in the future.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
I have the Steeda K member, I put the starter in before I put the Kooks headers on. I don’t think I could get the starter out without dropping the k member or loosening off the headers,

dgwatkins0990

Established Member
These headers have been one big headache but it's almost over. after the kennebell supercharger, kooks headers and McLeod clutch. not sure I can convince the wife on a tubular k member at the moment may have to wait till next yr for that lol.

vr4

Established Member
this is one of the 2 reasons i ditched my kooks for ARH. starter access (mine was starting to intermittently fail) and ground clearance.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I have the Steeda K member, I put the starter in before I put the Kooks headers on. I don’t think I could get the starter out without dropping the k member or loosening off the headers,

same set up here. I did the install with the motor out of the car and I remember looking at that and thinking I'd be ****ed if the starter went. If I could do it over I would have gone with ARH

Bullitt1448

Established Member
same set up here. I did the install with the motor out of the car and I remember looking at that and thinking I'd be ****ed if the starter went. If I could do it over I would have gone with ARH
Much the same thought here. I did put a new reman starter in before I put the kooks on or installed the engine, hoping I didn’t get a dud.

TP03

Established Member
Unfortunately having Kooks with a stock K-member you’ll need to drop the K-member to replace the starter. Don’t sweat it though, if you use the Harbor Freight support bar to hold up the engine it’s really not bad at all. You’ll probably be kicking yourself after you drop the K-member once you see how much more room you have for installation of the headers.
IMG_6395.png
IMG_6394.png
IMG_6393.png
IMG_6392.png

dgwatkins0990

Established Member
So the harbor freight support bar worked amazingly no complaints. but my new issue the o2 sensor extensions kooks sent. the tab holes on harness don't match the o2 sensor plugs so do I cut the tabs off and plug them in anyway. or get different o2 sensors I don't know much about those sensors.

dgwatkins0990

Established Member
So car started idled great let it idle for 10 maybe 15 minutes. then tapped the throttle it reved then idled high about 1200 for 30 seconds then died. won't idle anymore it starts then dies I think it may be because I deleted the EGR. and haven't gotten to the tuner yet on top of all the other mods but I'm not sure. Any thoughts? It has fresh gas,new fuel pumps,2.8 kennebell,single blade throttle,long tubes,x pipe,and bassani exhaust all 3"

MG0h3

Established Member
Go over your work real quick but yes, I’d imagine the pcm is wigging out with all the extra air it sees coming in

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

01yellercobra

Established Member
Is the throttlebody new? Is the inlet designed to work with the single blade set up? Same MAF and injectors?

hotcobra03

Established Member
Any luck today,,

Have you checked the fuses for any blown ones ,,both engine and in car.

Something that does happen after work not expected.

Users who are viewing this thread