03 Cobra Rear o2 sensors......

PipeHitter

Established Member
So I'm taking off a previous owner installed bassani x-pipe w/the hi-flow cats. All four sensors were plugged in no problem. I purchased a used OEM h-pipe from another member who stated it came from an 03.

Front o2 plugs in fine. No way the rears are going to reach. I called local dealer and he said they didn't have extenders from Ford in 03. But the sensors that I swapped from the bassani to the oem are stock sensors, just not long enough. Why are they too short?

My guesses:

1.)The rear sensors I have are Ford but not the correct 03 Cobra rears that maybe someone put in because they fit better length wise with the bassani setup...Looking on Autozone they list sensors for 03 that are around 18" long. These are not that long.

2.)I dont have an 03 OEM h-pipe...which would suck as I've already installed it!!

Any other ideas? I guess I'm just going to splice the lines and add wire so they will reach. I guess my biggest question is IF I do have an 04 OEM h-pipe, should I be worried about any running issues?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Most likely a 04 pipe,they had a different cat set-up.I know alot the 04 require extensions when going to a different mid-pipe.

PipeHitter

Established Member
Just did some searching and turns out the member I bought the pipes from had at one time a 04 Mach and a 03 Cobra.

I reeealllly don't want to take them off and deal with finding another h-pipe. I wonder if the ECM will care if these came from a Mach? I'll be running stock tune.

PipeHitter

Established Member
ok, some more info in case someone else finds themselves in this situation: According to my dealer the 04 Mach and 04 Cobra take the same mid-pipe (part# wise, manual tranny).

So now the only thing left is has anyone ever ran a 04 mid-pipe on an 03? Is there anything to be worried about tune wise?

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
So why not install the rear sensors, leave the wiring unconnected, and turn off the rear sensors in the tune? I had my rear sensors turned off and then used one of the bungs to install my wideband sensor...:beer:

PipeHitter

Established Member
Well, the sensors are not really a problem as I can add longer wires or buy extenders. Tune wise I'm stock with no programmer.

I've been in contact with the seller and he assures me they were not from his 04 Mach, and that he got them from his seller when he purchased his 03. He bought the car at 4500mi. Which would make no sense for the original owner to have the wrong pipes as he just took them off! So evidence points toward these being 03, and maybe I just have the wrong length sensors for some reason. I'm going to try and find some pics to compare.

Only thing I'm really worried about at this point is IF these are 04 pipes, or heck some other model pipes, should I be concerned running a stock tune? Thanks for any input.

Added: Oct 13 2009
Just wanted to complete this thread in case someone else should search/find it in the future.

04 cobra/mach1 cats did bolt up fine to my 03, but rear sensor location is different. I've had the pipe on for about 100mi or so with no CIL and no apparent running issues.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread