03 cobra motor and trans into 96 cobra

cobra_vert03

Established Member
I got a friend with a 96 cobra... he is thinking about purchasing a low milege cobra motor/trans. will come with wiring harness and ECU. I think we will have to take the dash off and run all the wiring from the 03 as well. has anybody done this. I got some questions.

blkvenm97

Established Member
they have diff speedo-s and a digital odometer when the 96s don't...so I think that will all have to be transfered as well....other than that it should be straightforward...

cobra_vert03

Established Member
so if he put an 03 cobra gauge cluster in along with all the wiring should that be solved??

and also. what would be recommended for fuel... should he put the 03 cobra set up in there or upgrade the current 96 one to work?

red9450

Established Member
does he want return style or returnless? how much power does he want to make?

cobra_vert03

Established Member
does he want return style or returnless? how much power does he want to make?

thats what I'm unsure about... its going to be a pullied, maybe ported eaton... so 500 at the most...

But the thing is, my cobra has twin 255 pumps... so it dont seem like upgrading the in tank will be enough on the return style.

TERMINATED97

Established Member
I have a 03 motor with the 97 computer,dash, wiring harness's and coil packs, return style fs..notice where the coil packs are mounted.
018.jpg

Last edited:

cobra_vert03

Established Member
I have a 03 motor with the 97 computer,dash, wiring harness's and coil packs, return style fs..notice where the coil packs are mounted.
018.jpg

can you tell me more about your set-up? did it require some kind of special tune, what kind of fuel components did you use... have any issues? fill me in, that seems like it might be the easier way to go.

leftysmoke

SNK B1TE
Established Member
I'm interested in this swap also. Would be sweet if there was a retailer that specialized in this kit and sold the parts all ready to go haha.

TERMINATED97

Established Member
thats what I'm unsure about... its going to be a pullied, maybe ported eaton... so 500 at the most...

But the thing is, my cobra has twin 255 pumps... so it dont seem like upgrading the in tank will be enough on the return style.

I copy and pasted this from the build of my car.

My setup will include: JLT 12" CAI, SCT Big Air MAF, Walbro 255 LPH in-tank pump, Aeromotive 03 Cobra fuel rails, Aeromotive FPR, and BOSH 42LB injectors (39ers shown in pic). There is no MAF to Injector matching required (most people think that is required), during chip burn MAF and Injector sizing info is given to the Ford Computer, which then calculates fuel metering accordingly. The 03 Cobra fuel system is returnless, where the 97 Cobra uses the superior return-style fuel system. To use the 03 intake with the 97 fuel system I chose to use aftermarket fuel rails and FPR. The in-tank pump sends pressurized fuel through the stock hard line to the engine compartment, fuel is then routed into the back of the rails, return fuel flows out the front of the rails & into the FPR, then back to the stock return line. Expect to pay about $900+ for the fuel system parts required to set up the 03 S/C intake as a return-style system.

95SC

Banned
How about full 03 cobra swap [engine,trans,fuel system ,fuel tank,full interior,seats,dash]
Btw Doug did you get your car tuned yet after the stage 5 port done?

Last edited:

FATPAUL

To The Bat-Mobile!
Established Member
How hard do these two cars pull with this setup? Just curious 3rd to 4th and so on

FATPAUL

To The Bat-Mobile!
Established Member
Gawd it must be a nightmare, nice cars

My buddy(Oscar)talked to you 95sc awhile back about buying it.

Users who are viewing this thread