MPH: 91.72
1000: 10.157
1/4: 12.114
MPH: 115.28

Snakebitten

5150 SVT Poster
Established Member
Originally posted by n2fords2003
How can that air filter be called a "cool air intake"? It sucks all of its air from the engine bay. A cool air intake is located in the finder. Air there is much cooler
What about that Kyle. The new UPR intake get's the air from the fender well. Isn't the air in the bay too hot for that open K&N?? Is anyone using the UPR set up?? Please chime in.

Silver 03 Cobra

I read an article that said Paul High Performance (I think) did a test and there were almost no gains at all by placing the filter in the fender when the car is traveling down the road.

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Originally posted by Kyle@JDM

Dial: 12.4
R/T: .757
60': 1.847
330: 5.145
1/8: 7.842

NICE run! That's breakin out big time! The guy in the other lane is obviously a bracket racin fool! Looks like he saw the Cobra coming and kept the hammer down but you guys broke out big time :) Were you on the brakes on that run?

Jerry

Snakebitten

5150 SVT Poster
Established Member
I don't know if that's true, I guess we are wondering why the term "Cold Air" is used, if still in the engine bay??

Jeremy@JDM

Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
The Fenderwell Style "Cold" Air Intakes have there pro's and con's. You are blocking off some engine bay heat, but you are using a smaller air filter to be able to stuff it inside the fender opening. A larger open conical near the fenderwell opening will still breath the Cool air exiting from the fenderwell opening thus the term "Cool Air Intake", not "Cold", and that cool air rush will push the hot air away somewhat as you drive, plus the added amount of air being drawn into the engine from the increased filter size over a smaller filter used in the closed fender well style. I have seen test's showing both styles resulting in more HP, so it's hard to say one is better. Don't forget on a supercharged car with an Intercooler, the air will also travel through the Intercooler, which will help cool it down after it's drawn in.

Thanks Silver03Snake- Why let off the gas and win the race, let's see what kind of times these car's are capable of first.

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Originally posted by jeremy@jdm
The Fenderwell Style "Cold" Air Intakes have there pro's and con's. You are blocking off some engine bay heat, but you are using a smaller air filter to be able to stuff it inside the fender opening. A larger open conical near the fenderwell opening will still breath the Cool air exiting from the fenderwell opening thus the term "Cool Air Intake", not "Cold", and that cool air rush will push the hot air away somewhat as you drive, plus the added amount of air being drawn into the engine from the increased filter size over a smaller filter used in the closed fender well style. I have seen test's showing both styles resulting in more HP, so it's hard to say one is better. Don't forget on a supercharged car with an Intercooler, the air will also travel through the Intercooler, which will help cool it down after it's drawn in.

Thanks Silver03Snake- Why let off the gas and win the race, let's see what kind of times these car's are capable of first.

Dumb question? So your cai kit comes with the adapter plate that bolts to the maf?

Snakebitten

5150 SVT Poster
Established Member
A larger open conical near the fenderwell opening will still breath the Cool air exiting from the fenderwell opening thus the term "Cool Air Intake", not "Cold", and that cool air rush will push the hot air away somewhat as you drive, plus the added amount of air being drawn into the engine from the increased filter size over a smaller filter used in the closed fender well style.
Thanks for the explanation Jeremy.

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by Kyle@JDM
As requested, here is the time slip:

cobratimeslip.jpg

In case you have difficulty reading it here are the results:

Dial: 12.4
R/T: .757
60': 1.847
330: 5.145
1/8: 7.842

Was that 60 ft accomplishied with slicks or just a damn good driver?:beer:

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Good Lord, 11's are a tenth and half away.
Sweet

:thumbsup:

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by i8u

Was that 60 ft accomplishied with slicks or just a damn good driver?:beer:
I noticed that too. I wonder how the IRS is going to hold up. With the power some of these cars are making we'll find out soon.

Jeremy@JDM

Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
Yes the Kit comes with adapter plate to the MAF.

That 60ft time was without slicks and the damn good driver I dont' know about either.......just Jim D'Amore.

As far as the IRS goes, I guess we will find out soon if it holds up, but don't forget Corvettes and VIpers have used an IRS for years with out problems.

03DOHC

Established Member
You never said what the cost of the cat-back was. I looked on the JDM website and it says "Coming Soon! JDM Cat-Back Exhaust", with no link or price. A cat-back will be my first mod and I'm leaning toward Magnaflow.

Thanks.

Jeremy@JDM

Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
The P/N is 15644, it's the only Magnafllow Cat-Back available for the 03 Cobra, it has 3.5" polished stainless tips.

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
The P/N is 15644, it's the only Magnafllow Cat-Back available for the 03 Cobra, it has 3.5" polished stainless tips.

Good god Jeremy. I just paid $399 for that same cat-back from Houston Performance.

http://www.houstonperformance.com/body.htm

It is listed at 1999-2000 Cobra but it is the same system (there was no 2000 Cobra BTW).

That is a HUGE mark-up!

Dang..... :(

Last edited:

Evilcartman

Established Member
yup

Originally posted by mjchip

Good god Jeremy. I just paid $399 for that same cat-back from Houston Performance.

http://www.houstonperformance.com/body.htm

It is listed at 1999-2000 Cobra but it is the same system (there was no 2000 Cobra BTW).

That is a HUGE mark-up!

Dang..... :(

I have the same catback that I purchase from Houston Performance. It fits perfect and it's cheap also. I dyno'ed the car at HP last weekend. With a High flow cat, catback and K&N FIPK, I pulled 386 RWHP twice in this Houston crappy heat. Plus, I hear from everyone that HP's dyno is always a little lower than everyone else.

Users who are viewing this thread