03 Cobra hat, focus pumps. what to do now? (pics included...)

8liter

Established Member
Ok. I've posted in other threads and read quite a few others. I figured I just start my own and cut to the chase.

I've got the cobra hat and twin pumps with the pprv delete. I've got 01' cobra and I'm putting on a 2.1 IC KB. I haven't got injectors yet but I'm thinking 42's or 60's. I'm thinking 450-500hp.
IMAG0615_zps9889a230.jpg
IMAG0614_zpsecac293e.jpg

My questions are...
Can I run this hat the way it is with one fpdm?
If it's gonna take two, how do I wire it? drill holes in the hat to run new wire?
If one fpdm won't work, will a bap and one fpdm run these pumps?

I'm trying to keep the returnless sytem as close to factory function as possible. Or should I just go with a Stealth or DivX and maybe a bap?

Lots of knowledge here, hope I can get this car up and running without much trouble....lol.

Last edited:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
The Focus pumps draw more current than the stock 03/04's, you risk putting the fpdm in thermal shutdown then failure if kept like this as a permanent setup. Easiest route is one of Derek's (Black306) single modded fpdm's, plug and play, that's what I have...
Also run 8 gauge from the distribution box under the hood back to the trunk with a 40A relay and inline fuse..

snakeraper11b

Established Member
The focus pumps draw too much current for one fpdm. I want to say the focus pumps draw 18 amps per pump and the OEM fpdm goes into thermal overload around 25? You'll need at least a modded fpdm, I would do the twin upgrade, and a wire upgrade. Go with the #60 injectors and give yourself some headroom. All that being said, that list is usually where people start to have the PPRV kink/slip off/degrade, fpdm's burn up, pumps die, etc, etc. I'll go ahead and say it...Have you thought about return?

Brutal Metal

Established Member
The Focus pumps draw more current than the stock 03/04's, you risk putting the fpdm in thermal shutdown then failure if kept like this as a permanent setup. Easiest route is one of Derek's (Black306) single modded fpdm's, plug and play, that's what I have...
Also run 8 gauge from the distribution box under the hood back to the trunk with a 40A relay and inline fuse..

01yellercobra

Established Member
FWIW I'm running twin GT pumps with the wire upgrade and stock FPDM. My duty cycle is in the high 80's, but I also have 80lb injectors.

I'd go 60lb injectors personally. The larger injectors help keep duty cycle down.

2001cobravert

Established Member
As mentioned a single (stock) fpdm will over heat and go into thermal shutdown. You'll either need to wire in a second fpdm or buy a modified one. A modified one is easiest since its as simple as unplugging the stock one and plugging in the modded one. Are you dropping this hat/pumps in your stock 01' tank?
I'd go 60 lb injectors. That will leave you room to grow in the future.

8liter

Established Member
Thanks for the replies guys... I am using the stock 01' tank. I have a return system on my coupe, but I really want to keep the stock system functioning on my cobra.I don't see myself going past the 450-500 point...my wife likes to drive the car every once in awhile..

What about the 290 lph pump/sending unit assembly that leathal offers? Anyone used it?...http://www.lethalperformance.com/catalog/product/gallery/id/48292

Last edited:

MT0911

Established Member
Just grab a modified FPDM and power wire upgrade and run that twin setup you have. I run a stock 03/04 Cobra pump hat - twin DivX 340 Pumps, modified FPDM, and a 8 gauge power wire upgrade from Lethal. No issues for over 2.5 years.

8liter

Established Member
Just grab a modified FPDM and power wire upgrade and run that twin setup you have. I run a stock 03/04 Cobra pump hat - twin DivX 340 Pumps, modified FPDM, and a 8 gauge power wire upgrade from Lethal. No issues for over 2.5 years.

Do you have the pprv delete as well? Did you run separate wiring to each pump or split it under the hat....? Did you have to bust out the strainer basket in your tank? What fuel strainers did you use?

Thanks..

Last edited:

MT0911

Established Member
I am running the pprv delete. I would recommend it especially if you plan on running higher boost. No side effects - except possible harder starts; but it's worth it. I am actually running a stock 03 Cobra tank so I have the 03 cobra harness/wiring and of course the tank is sumped so no basket for me. But since you're running the stock 01 tank - the basket will be more of a restriction with the 03 cobra hat so just remove it and break off the basket brackets in the tank. Then you can just install the 03 cobra hat and let the pumps hang - just remember to stay above 1/4 fuel since your tank is not sumped. There are good writeups for the pprv delete online as well.

Users who are viewing this thread