03 cobra has overheating problems on hot days in traffic

Banshee06

Established Member
My cobra every gets hot when in stop and go when temps are in the plus 90 degrees.
It has a remanufactured motor with 12,000 miles on it so assume it had a new water pump.
It has had 4 new thermostats, antifreeze changed 5 times. New fluidyne radiator, a Mark VIII , it has been to 6 different shops to fix problem. It has been checked for head gasket leaks 3 times.
Does anyone have advice I am so tired of having to pull over to let it cool off.

01yellercobra

Established Member
What do you mean by overheating? Is it boiling over or is it just hitting a temp you're not comfortable with?

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
If it overheats in stop and go traffic, but remains cool when your driving I would guess it's your fan. Driving normally it's getting enough air to cool it. Sitting it is not. Or it could be your fan thermostat. Meaning it is not turning on the fan at the required temperature. Have you ever had a tune and had the fan thermostat temperature messed with? Could be something else to consider.

lx347cid

Established Member
If it overheats in stop and go traffic, but remains cool when your driving I would guess it's your fan. Driving normally it's getting enough air to cool it. Sitting it is not. Or it could be your fan thermostat. Meaning it is not turning on the fan at the required temperature. Have you ever had a tune and had the fan thermostat temperature messed with? Could be something else to consider.
Agree i would check fan if its ok driving but gets hot when idling after driving.

Banshee06

Established Member
The fan comes on that is also why I gave the Lincoln Mark VIII fan it is supposed to push more air. When my temp gauge start moving past half way if I can't drive at freeway speed it will continue up till it gets all the way to hot and the engine starts running badly. But even with the fan on it wont cool the engine down.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
The fan comes on that is also why I gave the Lincoln Mark VIII fan it is supposed to push more air. When my temp gauge start moving past half way if I can't drive at freeway speed it will continue up till it gets all the way to hot and the engine starts running badly. But even with the fan on it wont cool the engine down.

I hear you, but just because the fan turns on that doesn't mean the fan is moving enough air (You have said it's a different fan. Is it wired properly and pulling the air vs. pushing it?). Also, even if the fan does turn on it might not be coming on at the proper temperature.

I would check the fan and check the tune/ECU to see what temperature the fan is set to turn on at. You mention changing everything (some several times) and it going to 6 different shops. So, it has to be something everyone is overlooking or "assuming" is working properly.

There are 2 things happening at freeway speeds. More air is going through the radiator and the water pump is spinning at higher RPMS vs. idle. So, I think one of those two things may be your issue at idle.

Banshee06

Established Member
I hear you, but just because the fan turns on that doesn't mean the fan is moving enough air (You have said it's a different fan. Is it wired properly and pulling the air vs. pushing it?). Also, even if the fan does turn on it might not be coming on at the proper temperature.

I would check the fan and check the tune/ECU to see what temperature the fan is set to turn on at. You mention changing everything (some several times) and it going to 6 different shops. So, it has to be something everyone is overlooking or "assuming" is working properly.

The tuner has check the template which the fan comes on and it is correct and yes even with the stock fan which was blowing the right direction and coming on it overheated. Even the radiator shops and my tuner cant figure it out.

There are 2 things happening at freeway speeds. More air is going through the radiator and the water pump is spinning at higher RPMS vs. idle. So, I think one of those two things may be your issue at idle.

Banshee06

Established Member
Also the car has a Kenne Bell liquid cooled super charger if that makes any difference.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
My thoughts are there is a coolant flow problem within the motor or your water pump simply isn't up to the task. Is it Ford OEM or a knock off?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
probably a stupid question but the bypass valve isnt hung up and its in boost all the time is it?

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
On mine it turned out the lil controller that raises and lowers the fan speed was toast so it was stuck on just one speed which wasn’t keeping up when stopped in traffic. Replaced and all is good now.

Banshee06

Established Member
On mine it turned out the lil controller that raises and lowers the fan speed was toast so it was stuck on just one speed which wasn’t keeping up when stopped in traffic. Replaced and all is good now.

How do I find out if it is not going into high speed?

hotcobra03

Established Member
I did water test when mine did just this...

get it hot at home..I assume just sitting at idle with ac on it will get past 1/2 on guage..

using tuner I watched temp go well over 220 before guage started to move in hot direction...

I used a garden on radiator..as air wasn't enough..

low and behold
..temp would drop to 180ish..

I replaced radiator..I see under 180 with ac on driving..200,210 in traffic.

but see temp fall fast when you do get to move..

100deg here most of the summer

Users who are viewing this thread