'03 Cobra Driveway Oil change write up

MVD

Established Member
Hmmm... I've never pre-oiled an oil filer before install:shrug:

I fill the oil filters on my two other cars but that is because the filter mounts vertically. Filling one to use on a Cobra is pointless because as soon as you turn it horizontally to screw on the oil will come pouring back out.

apollo7

Established Member
I fill the oil filters on my two other cars but that is because the filter mounts vertically. Filling one to use on a Cobra is pointless because as soon as you turn it horizontally to screw on the oil will come pouring back out.

Not really, most of it soaks into the filter paper. You lose an ounce or two out of the pint they hold. Cheap insurance, so you don't (further) starve your engine of oil during start-up post oil change.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
Not really, most of it soaks into the filter paper. You lose an ounce or two out of the pint they hold. Cheap insurance, so you don't (further) starve your engine of oil during start-up post oil change.

I'm changing my oil in the next couple days, we'll see how this pre-oiling goes

zeus201

Established Member
GREAT WRITE-UP

Don't know if it is actually worth it but I've always pre-oiled the filter. Just be careful you don't overfill or once again you'll be cleaning.

Only once did I have to bust out the hammer and nail trick to get off the filter. I had oil EVERYWHERE and it was a pain in the ass.

Jroush08

Established Member
I just changed my oil today. Not so happy. I first changed the oil in the blower as per the write up from another thread. Then I changed the actual engine oil. Now I have an annoying tick coming out of the engine. I cant tell if its coming from the heads or the blower itself. I cant hear it inside the car, but once I pop the hood and listen, I can def. hear it.

I used mobile one 10W-30 for the blower, drained the oil out , filled it up with new oil. Oil started to pour a little out of the hole, so I wipe it out, and plugged it back up with the nut.

I then changed then engine out with mobile one 5W-20, did everything correctly, even used a mobile one filter. Checked and rechecked everything to ensure I was good to go. Checked the oil level, it was good. Cranked the car up and I heard the ticking noise. Any idea guys?

Im taking the car to a buddy's house tomorrow to take a look at it more in depth. The tick def. wasnt there before, if it was I never noticed it. :??:

solidsnak3

NOVA STOCK
Established Member
I just changed my oil today. Not so happy. I first changed the oil in the blower as per the write up from another thread. Then I changed the actual engine oil. Now I have an annoying tick coming out of the engine. I cant tell if its coming from the heads or the blower itself. I cant hear it inside the car, but once I pop the hood and listen, I can def. hear it.

I used mobile one 10W-30 for the blower, drained the oil out , filled it up with new oil. Oil started to pour a little out of the hole, so I wipe it out, and plugged it back up with the nut.

I then changed then engine out with mobile one 5W-20, did everything correctly, even used a mobile one filter. Checked and rechecked everything to ensure I was good to go. Checked the oil level, it was good. Cranked the car up and I heard the ticking noise. Any idea guys?

Im taking the car to a buddy's house tomorrow to take a look at it more in depth. The tick def. wasnt there before, if it was I never noticed it. :??:

did you use a motorcraft oil filter? is your oil synthetic? how much oil did you put in it?

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
this is all I got.,., now how am I gonna change my oil :shrug:
Sorry, the page you were looking for could not be found.
Suggested Actions

* Check the URL that you have typed and retry.

That's how we do it. lol
No really it costs $64.00 for 7 quarts of Mobil 1 and filter @ Jiffy lube.
I used to work on cars, now I talk myself out of it looking at all the scares I have on my hands from doing everything.
Open the hood and all you see is motor.
Kind of a deterrent for me. Besides the front is so low I can't even use a low profile jack.
Frustrated? Yep..
Hey Dog.
Jeff

COBRA_ESQ

Established Member
Here is an alternative method to change your oil :lol:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_b2xIEfj2Y]YouTube - The Red Green Show - Changing your Oil[/ame]

03mgmcobra

Established Member
what about post-oil change, recording date oil change accomplished and mileage so you can gauge when to do it all again? also, some go 3 months/3,000 miles, some 6 months/5,000 miles or whatever. i go 3/3K. my $.02

Users who are viewing this thread