'03 Cobra Break-In Recommendations

stangfan

When in doubt.. Floor it!
Established Member
As I'm anxiously awaiting the production/availability of my new '03 Cobra, I'm starting to compile the plans for picking up my new car! (I know it could be 6 months from now but I'm psyched!!!!! )

Here's the story... I live in Atlanta GA but I ordered my '03 Cobra from a dealer in western PA. (appx. 700 miles). Currently, the plan is to drive my '96 GT up to PA, sell the car to my dad, pick up my Cobra, and drive back home to Atlanta.

I'm wandering if driving for 10+ hours at high speeds (55-75 mph) is a 'good' way to break the car in? Or, would it be better to take a couple of days, cruise around town (for about 500-1000 miles), and then make the long trip?

Any advise would be appreciated!

01svtcobra

Established Member
that thing (03 cobra) will be a beast! i don't think u will have to worry about hurting it on a all day drive. it may even speed up the break in period since you will be on the interstate at a steedy rmp and mph!!

Black Cobra

Established Member
Cobra Break-in

I have a '98 and there are only two things that the owners manual lists under "Breaking Your Vehicle In". 1) Because of new brake linings, Avoid sudden stops for the first (100 miles City or 1000 miles highway) and 2) Use only the type of engine oil that Ford recommends. Thats it. There was no engine break-in for the '98 just the brake linings.

You'll have to checkout the '03 owner's manual when you pick it up. However, I would expect the '03 to be similar to previous Cobras.

kwiksnake

Established Member
My dad had been a muscle car guy from as far back as I can remember and from photos, long before that. Every car he has ever driven he has broke it in the same way. He told me when I got mine to break it in the way you plan on driving it. If you are going to beat the hell out of it at every stop light, break it in that way. If you just want a daily cruiser and are going to waste all that hp, drive it that way.

JagcLightning

Established Member
I did the same thing when I picked up my 2000 Lightning. I drove it 5 hrs from Western PA back to Virginia and had no problem. I varied the speed a little just in case. What dealership are you getting yours from and do you mind stating how much. I was very please with the price and availability of my dealer. Seems the dealers up in PA have better access to SVT vehicles than others.

NXCobra

Established Member
Every engine rebuilder, and the Ford mechanics I talked to say that there is no break in period at all. In fact, they recommend going out and tearing it up. That way if something is going to break, it will break now rather than later.

So drive it like you stole it. Dont be a pu$$y.

I plan on leaving the dealership sideways and testing the rev limiter with my '03

CatchMeCopper

Established Member
muhaha. Im driving from mass to florida with my friend who is getting a 400 small block in his firebird at the same time. Im gonna romp on the thing and tear him up.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
When I bought my Saleen the manual had break in rpms.

do not exceed 2500 rpm for the first 500 miles.
oil change at 600 miles.
do not exceed 3000 rpm for another 500 miles.
do not exceed 3500 rpm for another 500 miles.
do not exceed 4000 rpm for another 500 miles.
oil change at 3000 miles.

not following the break in procedures would void your warranty blah blah blah stated the manual.

I don't know if that is Saleen being anal, or they want to be very careful with the motor seals with the blower.

It almost the same eaton blower on the 03 cobra, lets see what ford says.

stangfan

When in doubt.. Floor it!
Established Member
Thanks for the info fellas;-) I'll let you all know what the '03 cobra manual recommends.

Hopefully, I can drive away from the SVT/Ford dealership like a bat outta hell... Without worrying about a 'proper' engine break-in!

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
A friend had a 01 BMW M3 Cabriolet(the one with the 333 hp inline 6) on the windshield was a sticker stating keep it below 5000 rpm for the 1st 1300 miles, change the oil, below 7000 rpm for 2500 miles change the oil then break in was done..

If BMW with their ultra high performance engine 333 hp from 3.2 liters and they use Synthetic from the factory is this careful about breaking in their engines, I'd be careful on how you break ANY new engine in..

fangstang

Established Member
I was told by my salesguy last summer when I bought my cobra from him that I should not baby the car. He said if you drive it like a pussy from the beginning, then it will always be a pussy. I personally think that you should drive the car smoothly up untill 500-700 miles then gradually raise the rpms higher, and higher. When I got my cobra, I drove it like that, even though it was my first stick car and I was learning at the same time. When I had like 700 miles I raced an SS up to like 115MPH, that really broke it in nicely! Being that the new cobra has a supercharger, I'd say drive it carefully for the first 500 or so miles, then gradually raise the rpms untill redline, or near it. The blower will put a lot of stress on the engine, but..............I forgot, we now have forged internals! Just drive it like you stole it!:coolman:

Cobra'03

Established Member
There are some engineering realities to both opinions int his thread:

1) Varying the engine speed will help the rings seat well and given better oil control later in engine life. I would recommend normal highway speeds and rowing the shifter now and then - run in 4th for a while, then 6, then 5, even 3rd. Mix it up.

2) Brakes definitely need break-in. They "out gas" volatiles in the first few hundred miles, and if you heat 'em up too fast, these gases will condense on the rotors, leaving a slippery film. I recommend suburban stop and go - cruise a mile, then a moderate stop, let em cool at the light, then repeat. Within 50-100 miles, they will be perfectly good to go.

3) The run it like you plan to drive it means the engine will losen up faster, but may affect long-term reliability. Racers want the car to be loose, as they need every bit of power, and re-build frequently. Modern cars have many disimilar metals - chrome on the rings, soft metals below, iron and aluminum blocks, aluminum heads. Each metal expands at a different rate, and early on, even with the improved machining of today's engine builds, there is still a lot of non-blueprinted "seating" of metal parts, as they engines "get friendly".

I for one plan to defer instant gratification for long-term stability (but hell, I did not screw the prom queen either).;-)

Users who are viewing this thread