03 Cobra Boiling from Radiator Cap

Oxford

Established Member
Been a while since ive lurked these boards, hopefully you guys have some insight.

Had 2 monitors still not readying for my inspection so I was taking it through the cycles today (90 degrees today). about 25 minutes into driving we start smelling burning coming from the vents. a minute later I notice smoke/steam coming from the nostrils.

Managed to get it home just barely reaching the red on my engine temp. This is a bad thermostat more than likely right? Car is a garage queen so Nothing has been changed on it for the last 4 years other than regular maintenance.

Thanks in advance SVTP.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Take the thermostat out and put it in boiling water and see if it opens. I'd say the top 4 areas to look.

-Thermostat stuck
-Massive Air in the system
-Cap does not hold pressure.
-Cooling fan in-op

Oxford

Established Member
Take the thermostat out and put it in boiling water and see if it opens. I'd say the top 4 areas to look.

-Thermostat stuck
-Massive Air in the system
-Cap does not hold pressure.
-Cooling fan in-op

Since you mentioned the cap I had a quick question.. Is the cap supposed to have a rubber o-ring on it? upon my first looks I noticed it does not have one nor do I remember if it came with one off hand.

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
5 years ago my car overheated like that. I swapped to a 170 Stat and changed the cap, burped the system. Never had an issues since.

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
When mine did that it was a blown headgasket. Confirmed by the #3 cylinder shooting water out of the spark plug hole.
Hopefully yours is something else and simple.

Ken

Dave.O

Established Member
replace the cap any time it leaks/boils over. they're cheap anyway
my vote is also thermostat, they are also cheap just replace it
refill and burp, listen for fan to kick on around 195-200'F while idling

Oxford

Established Member
When mine did that it was a blown headgasket. Confirmed by the #3 cylinder shooting water out of the spark plug hole.
Hopefully yours is something else and simple.

Ken
Luckily I think im safe in that respect. I did not notice any leaks other than the cap. But I will double check that when I have it apart. Thanks.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Since you mentioned the cap I had a quick question.. Is the cap supposed to have a rubber o-ring on it? upon my first looks I noticed it does not have one nor do I remember if it came with one off hand.

There isn't an "O-ring", but there is a gasket. It is on the cap side, and where it meets the top of the overflow is where it seals. I'd get a new one just in case.

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Luckily I think im safe in that respect. I did not notice any leaks other than the cap. But I will double check that when I have it apart. Thanks.
Mine only leaked from the cap as well. Then I pulled all the spark plugs and turned it over. That’s when the geyser came from cylinder #3.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
I also only had it coming from the overflow when I did in a head gasket. New gaskets and head studs solved my problem. Hopefully it's just a stuck thermostat for you.

Oxford

Established Member
Well after a little poking and prodding. I determined the Fan wasnt turning on. Checked the 50A fuse and it was sure as shit blown. So i ran to the local parts store quick and grabbed 2 new ones. They were immediately blown as soon as I turned the car on

Oxford

Established Member
Ive been reading that the the Pins on the connectors can sometimes overheat and melt and ground together.

hotcobra03

Established Member
simple..unplug fan..install new fuse..if it doesn't blow..fan was shorted..

we have on site manual for wiring if needed..in stickys,

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
I did exactly this, Fuse didnt pop. safe to assume a new fan is on the menu?

Possibly. You could see if the pigtail is melted/bad and just replace that. However a new fan is "cheap", I would just go that route.

when you shop around..

dorman,makes this fan..

Yup, I replaced mine with a Dorman from Autozone (I think) about 3 years ago, been working good ever since.

Oxford

Established Member
Figures everything coming apart smooth but the damn radiator petcock chrossthreaded even though I was mindful of it.:mad: I see Dorman makes one im hoping swapping them out isnt a pain.

Users who are viewing this thread