03 Cobra Belt tensioner(ribbed or smooth?)

OH3MGSVT

cant 3x stamp a 2x stamp
Established Member
Recently my belt tensioner pulley and arm recently broke on my car, the bearings got all messed up and bent and the pulley itself was bent on the arm of the tensioner which also messed up. My question is, when I went to parts stores to look up this part, they gave my a belt tensioner arm with a smooth pulley similar to an idler pulley, and the one that was on my car was a ribbed pulley (8 rib) I tried looking up pics and i find both smooth and ribbed pullies for the belt tensioner, so which one do I go with????

What came off my car:

dgf.jpg

arm.jpg

And THIS is what I keep getting results for:

img6725ql.jpg

img6727j.jpg

Last edited:

MysticDan

Established Member
I just got done dealing with this exact issue. The parts stores inventory is wrong. I had to get a tensioner from a lightning and a 8 rib pulley from a diesel truck. You need the pulley that has the ribs otherwise massive belt slip will probably happen.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
The belt will not slip from not having the ribs, but the ribs help keep the belt aligned. Do what MysticDan said if you want to stick with OEM parts. Just buy a tensioner for a Lighning.

Last edited:

VenomSVT03

CRUSHER
Established Member
Same thing also happened to me a few months ago, broke the tensioner right in half. I bought the tensioner with the pulley already on it from a lightning at Ford. Cost me like $80 if im not mistaken

OH3MGSVT

cant 3x stamp a 2x stamp
Established Member
Thank you everyone for your response, glad to hear (well kinda lol) that you had the same problems as me and you found a way to resolve it. I will have to check around and see if anyone has a tensioner from a Ford Lightning then, I know I can always buy the Thump RRR billet piece but I dont have $365 to spend on a tensioner, this car is my Daily Driver for now so I just want it back running normal asap. Thanks again for everyonees help!!

Its really a shame that neither of the parts guys at either Ford Delaership I contacted could tell me this info, they seemed like they could care less about their jobs :nonono:

OH3MGSVT

cant 3x stamp a 2x stamp
Established Member
Does anyone know where the HELL i can get one at? I swear finding parts for my car is like trying to get unicorns blood

VenomSVT03

CRUSHER
Established Member
Get with Steve @ Tousley Ford. He will take care of you. He's also a vendor here, his screen name is fordsvtparts

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread