03 cobra belt slip?

Tquah03cobra

Ox trmn8r
hey guys lookin for some help on my 03 cobra sounds like my belt starts slipping at 4000rpm it squeals and then no more power increase it just started the other day the only things i can think of are that the pullys have grooves worn down on them or that the other day my intercooler pump went out and the car got hot busted the seal on the resivour cap and sprayed boiling coolent straight on the belt could either of these be the problem? do i need a new belt or pullys?

Last edited:

9935todd

Established Member
I'd probably start with an auxillary pulley to give the SC pulley more wrap especially if you've a smaller SC pulley.

Jpjr

Established Member
Add the aux pulley as mentioned. It's a relatively easy install. If you've already changed your upper you will need to go and buy a new belt. This can be painful, I ended up going to NAPA three times before getting the right one with no slack in it. I and others have posted sizes in the past on the various forums, you should be able to do a search and get close to the right size. I seriously doubt the rubber belt chewed off the metal grooves on the pulleys..

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Given the sequence of events and the fact you were not claiming to have belt slip before your I/C system sprayed it with coolant,

I would start with a new belt and go from there.

Low hanging fruit first if you will... no need to revamp the whole belt drive system.

Do buy a new I/C pump and probably a new cap for the I/C res, before doing anymore boosted runs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread