03 cobra aftermarket supercharger/mods questions

Brian Kuntzman

Terminator_mk6
Established Member
Hello Everyone, I hope this is the right place. I am looking into a new supercharger next couple months. not looking to go crazy at the moment. I have a horsepower goal of 600hp on 93. as of now dont wanna go crazy being the the car has higher mileage. I'm trying to do it on a budget. I was looking into trying to find a kenne bell 2.2 seems like that would be a cost affective way to make my power goal. is there another supercharger you guys would recommend for that situation? Also I know I would need a boost a pump aswell as injectors (Thinking 60lbs should work) car already has mafia and catless H pipe with 3" mac catback, jlt intake and I already ordered a accufab throttle body for it. Am i missing anything or does it seem like I have most of the bases covered? Again thanks in advanced still learning only have had the car about a month!

cj428mach

Established Member
I would suggest looking at a VMP TVS. The KB 2.2's have their problems and there are much better options available.

As for the rest of your mods I think you have it all covered except the tune.

Brian Kuntzman

Terminator_mk6
Established Member
What issues do the 2.2 s have? Iv heard they have nasty whines and why that's not my main concern its still nice. Ha what superchargers would you specifically recommend? Any superchargers that fall in the price rangel of 2000-2500 used? As far as the tune there's a place near me I plan on doing it

cj428mach

Established Member
I recommended a VMPtuning 2.3L TVS it will make more power and it has a removable inlet which makes working on the car so..so much easier. The TVS is also a screamer if you care about that.

The 2.2's just tend to run really hot, and require rebuilds often. They also aren't in production anymore so some parts aren't available for them anymore.

wreckit

Established Member
I recommended a VMPtuning 2.3L TVS it will make more power and it has a removable inlet which makes working on the car so..so much easier. The TVS is also a screamer if you care about that.

The 2.2's just tend to run really hot, and require rebuilds often. They also aren't in production anymore so some parts aren't available for them anymore.

Exactly This ^^^^^ VMP all the way! Reliable and worth it. I will be going this route after i get tired of my current setup, and when funds allow me

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Been on a budget the VMP is going to be on the higher end. Essentially you want a VMP 2.3, Whipple 2.3 or KB 2.2 and most likely in that order if money was not a concern but really any of those three will do the job. Search around and which ever you find a good deal on go ahead and grab.

SS EATR

Established Member
I have seen a few used VMP blowers around for some pretty good prices, I would definitely go that route.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Watch the for sale section on here and be ready to pull the trigger on either a used TVS or Whipple 2.3. Just make sure if you buy a used one it's made for a single blade throttle body. Both will get you there, at least on most dynojets in decent temps. KB 2.2 might be cheaper, but you will want to immediately add in the cost of a rebuild before bolting it on unless the seller has documentation that it was just rebuilt.

There are two items not on your list - head cooling mod and fuel pump power wire upgrade. The wire upgrade is a must, the head cooling mod is easier to do with everything out of the way and it's a good time to do it regardless of miles because you're going to be pushing the car harder than ever and it's a pretty cheap mod. Also, if you don't already have a full set of aftermarket idlers, you will need to replace those. Metco double bearing are typically regarded as the best. Last thing - the mafia is not recommended\liked by some tuners, they prefer tuning using a higher range SCT maf. For your setup a 2600 would be fine.

Brian Kuntzman

Terminator_mk6
Established Member
I was actually looking into the billet flow idler setup so I'll probably still pick those up. As far as superchargers sounds like the vmp is the one I want. Also iv looked into the head cooling mod. Not 100% sure how it works as of now so gotta do more research but I'll pick one up. But I have not heard of the fuel pump wire you were saying about.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
I was actually looking into the billet flow idler setup so I'll probably still pick those up. As far as superchargers sounds like the vmp is the one I want. Also iv looked into the head cooling mod. Not 100% sure how it works as of now so gotta do more research but I'll pick one up. But I have not heard of the fuel pump wire you were saying about.

Head cooling mod is a quite simple concept. The rear of the driver's side head (cyl #7 and #8) have VERY poor design, and very low coolant flow around them, frequently causing them to get too hot. Cooling mod bolts up to the rear of that head, giving better flow. Two common types are: 1. Crossover tube to the rear of the passenger side head, and 2. Tube that runs up to the front of the motor and ties into the main coolant return hose. It is a worthy investment.

Quick Strike

Established Member
Used 2.6L KB might also be a good option for you if the price is right. KB seems to get a lot of negative press here with slanted or no facts. My used 2.8L KB makes power with the best of the 2.9L Whipples and has been totally reliable. I sent the compressor to KB when purchased and they evaluated it at no cost. They said it was fine and it has been for the six years since. The oil level remains rock steady. Try to get the most blower you can under 2.8L for the best price. Don't get too caught up in brand as they perform pretty much the same size for size.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Used 2.6L KB might also be a good option for you if the price is right. KB seems to get a lot of negative press here with slanted or no facts. My used 2.8L KB makes power with the best of the 2.9L Whipples and has been totally reliable. I sent the compressor to KB when purchased and they evaluated it at no cost. They said it was fine and it has been for the six years since. The oil level remains rock steady. Try to get the most blower you can under 2.8L for the best price. Don't get too caught up in brand as they perform pretty much the same size for size.

I agree this site seems to be the only place I see knocking KB blowers and nothing ever backing the info other than so and so said it. All the KB cars I know in person have never had an issue. Of course any brand blower could need a rebuild at sometime in its life, the nature of such mechanical items.

Brian Kuntzman

Terminator_mk6
Established Member
I do appreciate the help guys! I have seen a couple pop up and sadly I'm not quite in the postion to make it happen yet. But I gotta ask is the head cooling mod a hard install? Or is something you can do fairly easily? Also I'm not to worried about brand of supercharger power is power aha but with that being said I have seen some preform better then others.

Quick Strike

Established Member
The LDC "type" cooling mod requires the transmission and bell housing to be out of the way when installed. The freeze plug is removed from the back of the head, a fitting is installed and a hose is run from the fitting to the head on the other side. It is pretty easy to do, but is best saved for when you need a new clutch or transmission service.

Another thing to think about is if your state requires and tests for a working EGR valve. Some of the blowers do not have provisions for these. You will need to find a shady shop to pass or make sure to find a blower that has these provisions if they are required and tested by your state.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I myself have the Cobra Engineering head cooling mod which is the LDC type. LDC where the first to do this mod/style hence the name

http://www.cobraengineering.net/cooling mod.html

There are other alternatives that don't require you remove the transmission and are done from inside the engine bay. The downside is they are not completely hidden from view and you see some hoses and what not under hood, if that sort of thing bothers you.

Great point on the EGR there. The first gen TVS does not have EGR provisions. 2nd gen does. Whipple and KB have always had EGR provisions as far as I know.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
To further clarify - there are two types of head cooling mod the "LDC" type and the Evenflow. The LDC is cleaner and probably allows for overall better coolant circulation, but as stated, you have to either have the entire motor out or attempt it from the bottom with the trans out. The Evenflow you can install it from the top and it can be done with the blower in place, but with the blower and everything out of the way it's easier. The two connect to the driver side head in two different places, LDC on the back of the head, Evenflow on the top of the head.

It's also good for resale because when people start researching these cars, one of the first things they start seeing over and over is "head tick".

Last edited:

Brian Kuntzman

Terminator_mk6
Established Member
Yeah really don't wanna drop the trany aha I am interested in the one that I can do from under the hood. I also don't have emissions or anything of that nature aha so not really worried about that!

Users who are viewing this thread