03 cobra 5.3 tt misfire

SVTMang

Established Member
Your running breathers on both valve covers, if there is any oil in the intake piping id be concerned. Really doesnt have anything to do with a misfire on 3 and 5 though. Tell Adam if theres anything he can use my car for to eliminate any possible issues to give me a call.

If the oil is getting on the maf sensor it would cause this issue.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

SVTMang

Established Member
I did remove the intake tube to pull my harness and there was a small amount of oil all around the tubing (not enough to worry the tuner) but enough to make me say wtf. I will spray some maf cleaner in there and dry it up. Thanks for the moisture info.

We did, hooked a smoke machine up to the intake manifold and no smoke came out anywhere else except the turbo filters.

Smoke machine won't work for a turbo vehicle. You need to pressurize the system. It could be sealing without being under boost then the turbos start to spool up and bam, flashing cel and misfire.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

chrisquirk187

Momma, I wanna go fast!
Established Member

Thanks for the info,, i pulled All the charge piping tonight and cleaned everything out including the maf. This was after i replaced the trigger wheel. Started it and it is still missing
Sent from my Milestone Xusing Tapatalk 2

I don't see how a Maf would cause a misfire consistently on only two cylinders.

Your right, nothing changed

chrisquirk187

Momma, I wanna go fast!
Established Member

Thanks for the info,, i pulled All the charge piping tonight and cleaned everything out including the maf. This was after i replaced the trigger wheel. Started it and it is still missing
Sent from my Milestone Xusing Tapatalk 2

I don't see how a Maf would cause a misfire consistently on only two cylinders.

Your right, nothing changed

PhillyLS1

Established Member
If it's not coolant getting into the cylinder then it's something related to what's driving the spark and fuel specifically to those cylinders.

Does your intake manifold have a gasket?

chrisquirk187

Momma, I wanna go fast!
Established Member
Update on the issue.

Since nothing has worked I have decided to waste money on parts to hopefully fix it.

New parts going in on Monday:

new engine harness
NGK BR7E plugs gapped at 24
set of 8 ford racing OEM coil packs
SCT BA5000
Plug & play harness use 05+ Slot-Style MAF sensor on 96-04
VMP Blow-through 80MM MAF housing

I think that pretty much covers the electrical side of things. Hate to waste money but this problem is killing me!

If this doesnt fix it then it HAS to be the damn motor which still carries a warranty from MMR so it will be on a crate and shipped by Friday

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
Wow, you are seriously committed to finding the issue. I thought you did a compression test and leakdown?

chrisquirk187

Momma, I wanna go fast!
Established Member
Did the compression. The shop told me yesterday they did not do the leak down like i requested because "if it passed the compression no need for a leak down". I don't agree with that philosophy so ill be sure to have this leak down done this week coming up

itSSlow98

Established Member
You will get it figured out. Just throwing it out there but would a broken valve spring or something in the valvetrain cause a miss?

chrisquirk187

Momma, I wanna go fast!
Established Member
it could, but that would show up in the compression or leakdown test. Im hoping for a leakdown today or Monday. Im hoping so much its not the motor. If it is then I prob wont see this season at all. Pulling it and mailing to MMR and getting it back would be a long process

chrisquirk187

Momma, I wanna go fast!
Established Member
Blow thru ba3000, that's all I need. For some reason fastlane put a diablo mafia on it but it's not even turned on and I have plenty of room left in just the Maf.

I guess the single is different. My 3000 goes from 3" charge piping to 4" maf back down to 3" within like 6 inches. Turbulence is an issue so I went with the slot style to plug into all the same size piping.

Everything should be in by Wed so I will know for sure if its the electrical side or the motor.

itSSlow98

Established Member
Mine does the same thing 3-4-3 inside the fender well right after a bend by the intercooler. Good luck I'll check back in to see how you made out.

chrisquirk187

Momma, I wanna go fast!
Established Member
got half the stuff today, the rest will be here thursday. Stopped by today to find they couldnt start the car due to some transmission wiring or something so it just keeps getting better.

Users who are viewing this thread