03/04cobra vs. 04/05 gto

rosm187

Established Member
im sure most of u guys know both cars, both of which im considering to buy.
my 04 GTO got flooded in wilma so i think it comes down to these two, any way u guys can think of to persuade me, go for it, i love the tiwn screw, and its a nice car, anything i might now know, being from the LS1 and N/A engines....

thanks
ross

Chameleon

Established Member
I recommend that you try and hook up with a Terminator owner in your area and let him/her take you for a ride in it. Not much comparison between a stock 04 GTO and a stock Terminator as far as performance goes, the Terminator is just plain quicker. With some mods a Terminator can be made very fast.

Interiors are a matter of personal preference. Some say the GTO has a nicer interior.

Get someone to let you see one first hand and ride in it. You might try posting in the "A Taste of Home" section under the Florida heading and see if you can find a person near you that will give you a ride. That should do the trick!

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The cars are a different breed so you have to decide which more makes your blood boil. The are benefits to either one. I personally wouldn't even consider a GTO because the body is so darned ugly IMO. Looks way too much like a Grand Prix/Grand Am/Cavalier lookalike. Not for me. Others love it. One thing to consider is how you're going to drive the car. If you're going to keep it pretty much stock, the 400hp GTO is nice. Power wise it's equal to the Cobra. But the Cobra motor can be easily modded to make near 500 rwhp). So my fun factor and bang-for-the-buck choices go to the Cobra. But again, YOU have to decide which one YOU like. You're going to get 90% of the people here telling you to choose the Cobra, and they'll give you some good reasons. Go to a GTO forum and 90% there will give you good reasons to buy the GTO. Either way, though, you'll have fun behind the wheel.

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
How about being unbeaten against any GTO that's run at our track, and I'm not that good of a driver. If you want performance, it's definitely the Cobra. If you want anything else, it's a matter of personal preference. Umm, I don't think the GTO's come in 'verts either. Sorry about your loss and good luck with your decision.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Track times are not necessarily the main reason someone buys a particular car. Again (and like PonyFever said) it is a matter of personal preference. Overall quality wise the GTO is a better choice. One big question would be, how did you like your '04 GTO that you had? Loved it? It was okay? Ask yourself what were its high and low points. I take it you've never owned a Terminator, too. So you can't compare the two's high and low points from an ownership standpoint. I would definitely find one to test drive. Maybe someone in your area will be gracious and let you try it out. Then weigh the pros and cons of each and make your decision. JMO.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Oh, and remember that if you choose the GTO you'll be likely buying a brand new car. With the Terminator you're likely going to buy a used one. Low miles perhaps. But a used one. And that is not always a good thing depending on how hard the car was driven by the previous owner. JMO.

Captain Beyond

Established Member
Buy a low mileage Terminator. The Cobra out performs the gto in every performance catagory and is a helluva lot better looking too. :-D

mobius

CDM 2009
Established Member
yes looks and performance, cant go wrong with a cobra. gto is an ugly car... better to go with a ws6 or SS if going to chevy... or a vette, which would be the best choice of the chevy group.

rosm187

Established Member
personally i think the gto looks better, mustangs are....popular? i know its faster, but an 04 would probably be cheaper then even an 03 cobra.

BLK04

Established Member
rosm187 said:
personally i think the gto looks better, mustangs are....popular? i know its faster, but an 04 would probably be cheaper then even an 03 cobra.
:shrug: Sounds like you'r mind is already made up. Sorry to hear that.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Captain Beyond said:
Buy a low mileage Terminator. The Cobra out performs the gto in every performance catagory and is a helluva lot better looking too. :-D
Stock to stock they are very close. Close enough to make it a driver's race. I agree, though, that the Terminator wins the "looks" award. Not the interior, though. The GTO has by far the better interior.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
mobius said:
yes looks and performance, cant go wrong with a cobra. gto is an ugly car... better to go with a ws6 or SS if going to chevy... or a vette, which would be the best choice of the chevy group.
The Corvette is a 2-seater and a lot of people prefer 4, even though the back seats are only really suitable for children. ;-)

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
CobraBob said:
Stock to stock they are very close. Close enough to make it a driver's race. I agree, though, that the Terminator wins the "looks" award. Not the interior, though. The GTO has by far the better interior.
I believe he is talking about getting the 04' GTO, Bob. Which is rated at 350hp. :thumbsup:

They do not come close to the performance of the 03'-04' Cobra's.

I cant believe you would even be considering this decision! I actually went and drove an 04' GTO and my car the exact same day. Well needless to say its obvious what I went and bought the very next day. They dont even compare.....except the looks of the interior.

Chameleon

Established Member
RAZRS EDGE said:
I believe he is talking about getting the 04' GTO, Bob. Which is rated at 350hp. :thumbsup:

They do not come close to the performance of the 03'-04' Cobra's.

I cant believe you would even be considering this decision! I actually went and drove an 04' GTO and my car the exact same day. Well needless to say its obvious what I went and bought the very next day. They dont even compare.....except the looks of the interior.

I was comparing the Terminator to an 04 GTO.

This subject is somewhat flawed in that:

03 and 04 Cobras are identical performance wise.

04 versus 05 GTOs are not.

If you are forced at gun point to buy a GTO at LEAST get an 05.

WDW MKR

Established Member
CobraBob said:

I have yet to see a stock '05 GTO run in the mid-12s. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened, but no one has reported it.

rwhp

Established Member
rosm187 said:
remember what they say you get what you pay for!! those gto things look like a lil commuter rice wana be a muscle car thats why they cant sell them and have to drop the price way down just to get some guy to consider buying that so called car. :bash:

Users who are viewing this thread