03-04 Fuel Level Sender Unit

WhiteFaleen2001

Established Member
Does anyone know the difference between the 03/04 fuel level sender unit and a stock gt one? I can't seem to find pictures that show the differences.

I have a Fore Hat with a Roush Stage 3 Fuel Tank (similar to the 03/04 cobra tank where it is baffled). After I installed my fuel system, I noticed that my fuel gauge wasn't reading correctly. I am guessing the stock fuel level sender is getting caught up on the baffle. But even when the gas tank is full, it doesn't read as full, which seems odd because the baffle shouldn't really be in the way with a full tank (since he float would be raised from the fuel).

If this is the issue, I am wondering if I can bend my current arm at all to adjust for the baffle. It didn't seem like it was in the way at all when I installed the fore hat with the sending unit. I was able to have the arm go through the cutout in the baffle.

Thanks for any help.

Michael Hughes

1 of 299
Established Member
When I did my return fuel style system, I bent the level arm some how, and did not catch it till i went and filled up. The gauge was reading 3/4 but i had topped of the the gas tank. All I had to do was empty the tank, drop the tank again, and bend the arm up. I did notice my arm had have a slight bow in it after taking it out. This was my problem. I made sure this time to be very careful when i was installing the hat again, making sure i did not bend that arm.

01yellercobra

Established Member
The sending units are the same. The difference is the floats. At least in my experience. I broke the sending unit that came with the hat when I switched to dual pumps in my 01. The 04 sending unit had the same PN as the 01 unit.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
there different the arms don't swing the same direction, the stock GT one will hit the baffle of an 03/04 Cobra tank no matter how you try to bend it..

01yellercobra

Established Member
there different the arms don't swing the same direction, the stock GT one will hit the baffle of an 03/04 Cobra tank no matter how you try to bend it..

It's been a few years, but I swear I took my 01 sending unit and bolted it to the 04 hat and used the 04 float. You have to use the 04 float to get past the baffle.

greenflash00

Established Member
If you end up needing an 03/04 sender unit I have a brand new one I'll sell you for cheap. I was trying to rush order one when I was doing my fuel system install for the dyno day and ended up getting two from different vendors. Never even opened the box yet and forgot to return it lol. PM me if you need it :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread