03-04 Cobra WHIPPLE OWNERS give me your opinions PLEASE

66mysticobra

Established Member
Hello everyone, winter is really getting to me in Michigan and I just can't wait for summer - so I'm planning spring mods for my new ride. I recently purchased a 10th Anniversary 2003 SVT Cobra black coupe. It has 12,500 miles and was tuned by lidio at Alternative Auto Performance in Chesterfield, MI. To my knowledge he is known to be one of the best tuners in the industry. My car right now is making 468 rwhp and 498 torque. These are the following mods that are on the car: smaller upper blower pulley, short throw shifter, k&n charger kit, bbk x-pipe w high flow cats, flomaster 40 series delta flow mufflers, and a totally different IRS center section with 3:73 gears (he told me he didn't want to just change the gears on the stock center section so instead he replaced the whole thing with 3:73s) but I still have the stock one in totally perfect shape if anyones looking to buy it, id probably sell it). My question is, I called Alternative auto a couple weeks ago and talked to Lidio about a bigger blower, he said to go with the 2.3 whipple (he goes for safe tuning and told me the 2.9 and 3.4 have heat issues) anyway installed and everything it would run me $6500 out the door including the 60 lb injectors, boost a pump, mass air meter (etc) the goodies that come w the blower. Also will come with a tune and a dyno sheet to prove it. He said it would have anywhere from 580-600 rwhp. Is it worth the extra cash? Is the car really gonna be that much faster for the 6 gs?. Could I run nitrous as well? I was thinking maybe a 75 shot, but then on the other hand I was thinking about maybe changing the cam, I don't wanna **** up my motor with NOS but then again I probably put 2,000 miles on the car per year IF that. I really don't know what to do next thats why I'm asking the terminator pros on here which modifications I should add. Im looking to spend 8k or so seeking 650 rwhp. The car is going to be used for the street. Maybe take it to the track a couple times. I have nitto 555r drag radials on it now, I heard hossier slicks are the way to go thoe. Any opinions? and if im running that much hp will I need to replace my IRS with an SRA or can I reinforce the IRS? Thanks for reading and any help would be appreciated.

xavier296

Always another project.
Established Member
I went from a stock termi to a 2.3 whippled setup with all the mods posted above, and the difference was amazing. But my change was bigger. I think you would like the whipple, but question the 6500 price tag. I did everything for 4500, including supercharger, 60 lb injectors, boost a pump, Mass air, larger intercooler, AND TUNE. I did all my own work with the exception of the tune, but I don't see 2000 dollars worth of work. My friend and I did the whole change out in an afternoon, and neither of us had previous experience.
For your power desires, and considering the difference in price, I would think a set of cams and a 2.9 would be a better method. This removes the added complexity and cost of a potential nitrous kit also. 50 mustang recently did an article that is very close to what you are talking about, modded eaton to twinscrew with cams, and they made the power you are searching for.

2003-2004 Ford Cobra Lysholm Twin-Screw Supercharger Install - Trade Winds - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine

I hope you have a new set of rear tires in the budget too. I recommend R888s.

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
Well first off I think you've been lied to about this center section. No one to my knowledge makes an aftermarket center section so why would you change the stock one? As for the blower, shop this forum and you'll get yourself into a nice used twin screw and injectors for half of that 6k. You cant go wrong with a 2.3 whipple or a 2.2 Kenne bell. Both are great and will bring power numbers very similar to each other. Oh and the "cam" you want to change has 3 sisters that also need to be changed. Cams are about 900 used depending on the cam and call for 8 hours labor to install. Cams installed are about as much as a used twin screw

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
Unless you can do an e85 setup your not going to reach 650 with a 2.3, but when you feel 605-610 from a twin screw vs 470 from that eaton your going to be a happy camper.

Black Sex

Established Member
$6500 seems a bit high. Even if you bought everything new you might have $4000-$4500 in parts. When I did mine I traded another member on here my stock blower/injectors and $1800 for his 2.3, 60# injectors, and KB BAP. I already had a MAF (which I picked up used for $150) I went back to the same dyno shop that did my first tune and it cost me $250. Add all that up and I had $2200 into my Whipple setup. Start buying parts now then you can have lots of fun in the spring. You might want to think about buying some tires too.

JS01SNAKE

Established Member
Hello everyone, winter is really getting to me in Michigan and I just can't wait for summer - so I'm planning spring mods for my new ride. I recently purchased a 10th Anniversary 2003 SVT Cobra black coupe. It has 12,500 miles and was tuned by lidio at Alternative Auto Performance in Chesterfield, MI. To my knowledge he is known to be one of the best tuners in the industry. My car right now is making 468 rwhp and 498 torque. These are the following mods that are on the car: smaller upper blower pulley, short throw shifter, k&n charger kit, bbk x-pipe w high flow cats, flomaster 40 series delta flow mufflers, and a totally different IRS center section with 3:73 gears (he told me he didn't want to just change the gears on the stock center section so instead he replaced the whole thing with 3:73s) but I still have the stock one in totally perfect shape if anyones looking to buy it, id probably sell it). My question is, I called Alternative auto a couple weeks ago and talked to Lidio about a bigger blower, he said to go with the 2.3 whipple (he goes for safe tuning and told me the 2.9 and 3.4 have heat issues) anyway installed and everything it would run me $6500 out the door including the 60 lb injectors, boost a pump, mass air meter (etc) the goodies that come w the blower. Also will come with a tune and a dyno sheet to prove it. He said it would have anywhere from 580-600 rwhp. Is it worth the extra cash? Is the car really gonna be that much faster for the 6 gs?. Could I run nitrous as well? I was thinking maybe a 75 shot, but then on the other hand I was thinking about maybe changing the cam, I don't wanna **** up my motor with NOS but then again I probably put 2,000 miles on the car per year IF that. I really don't know what to do next thats why I'm asking the terminator pros on here which modifications I should add. Im looking to spend 8k or so seeking 650 rwhp. The car is going to be used for the street. Maybe take it to the track a couple times. I have nitto 555r drag radials on it now, I heard hossier slicks are the way to go thoe. Any opinions? and if im running that much hp will I need to replace my IRS with an SRA or can I reinforce the IRS? Thanks for reading and any help would be appreciated.

I have the same plans as you. He told me 6500.00 also, and i do think thats steep. He does do a great job though, he did both my 01 cobra (gears and tune) and my terminator (pully and tune) and i am very satisfied with his work. ill be taking mine there this spring after i buy the whipple and supporting mods.

swordjr24

WNALOSE
Established Member
Man I bought everything new my first go round with the Whipple on my last car, best way to do it is buy everything used. ALOT cheaper. Just watch the forums on here & you'll find one at a good price. 6500 is WAY too high of a price. But you will absolutely love it when you get it installed!

66mysticobra

Established Member
Well first off I think you've been lied to about this center section. No one to my knowledge makes an aftermarket center section so why would you change the stock one? As for the blower, shop this forum and you'll get yourself into a nice used twin screw and injectors for half of that 6k. You cant go wrong with a 2.3 whipple or a 2.2 Kenne bell. Both are great and will bring power numbers very similar to each other. Oh and the "cam" you want to change has 3 sisters that also need to be changed. Cams are about 900 used depending on the cam and call for 8 hours labor to install. Cams installed are about as much as a used twin screw

well i have the entire stock center section thats off the car with the gears and all inside it so maybe he lied about why he changed it but there is definitely a different center section, which idk why maybe you're right. And holy shit thats crazy about the cams. I never would have thought it'd be that expensive. thanks for the info man.

66mysticobra

Established Member
Thanks everyone for your help! I would install the goodies myself but I have basically no knowledge of these cars so I am forced to pay someone to do so. Lidio is known for doing very good work hence the price but I will definitely keep an eye out on here for used parts. If anyone knows of any lemme know. Thanks again everyone!

racebronco2

Established Member
a totally different IRS center section with 3:73 gears (he told me he didn't want to just change the gears on the stock center section so instead he replaced the whole thing with 3:73s) but I still have the stock one in totally perfect shape if anyones looking to buy it, id probably sell it).

I wouldn't trust anyone whom tells me to change the complete dif. There are no other cases but the ones that come in our cars unless he installed an iron dif out of thunderbird.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I believe the Mark VIII's use the same center section as well. But I agree, there's no reason to change out the entire center section. Last I checked the center section cases weren't cheap.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

66mysticobra

Established Member
yah my guess is as good as your guys. Im gonna get the car up in the air and take a picture, maybe someone on here can identify what the hell it is. But he said the reason for doing this is because instead of changing just the gear in the stock case, he changed the entire thing out cause he said just changing the gear to a 3:73 in the stock case could make other components in the center section weaker? I don't know if I was bsed or what but the car drives perfect. I couldn't tell the difference between the stock gears and 3:73 because I've never road in a cobra w stock gears. But anyway, if I did get bullshitted what do you guys think the case is with this whole center section thing?

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
yah my guess is as good as your guys. Im gonna get the car up in the air and take a picture, maybe someone on here can identify what the hell it is. But he said the reason for doing this is because instead of changing just the gear in the stock case, he changed the entire thing out cause he said just changing the gear to a 3:73 in the stock case could make other components in the center section weaker? I don't know if I was bsed or what but the car drives perfect. I couldn't tell the difference between the stock gears and 3:73 because I've never road in a cobra w stock gears. But anyway, if I did get bullshitted what do you guys think the case is with this whole center section thing?

You can sell it. But I'd start looking for a new shop. Installed 3.73's doesn't make anything in the housing weaker. My guess is he doesn't know how to set up gears.

He might have put an aftermarket carrier in it when he did the gear

they don't make aftermarker carriers for the IRS. I think there's a couple covers out there, but no cases.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread