03/04 Cobra Oil Cooler Delete need help ASAP

FMD

Established Member
Hello all,

Just about finished wrapping up my 03/04 cobra teksid build, and what do you know more susprises. I have a garbage bearing filled 99/01 cobra oil cooler which wont work anyway (Im trying to get away from the oil cooler design all together) and I heard you can use a 99-04 GT oil filter housing (The one im trying to use now), or a Mach 1 housing (same thing from the looks of it) and of course, it doesnt work. The neck hits the back of the alternator. Besides for buying a used 03/04 Cobra oil cooler, with no garuntee the motor didnt put shrapnel in it prior, is there any other solution? Trying not to spend a ton of money at this point but Ill do whatever needs to be done. I saw a few threads with a similar question however they just died with no answer which wasnt helpful. Thanks for any input guys. Tring to get this done while the motor is out of the car and its still surprisingly warm out.

FMD

Established Member
http://cgfabrication.com/collections/oil-cooling-system/products/remote-oil-filter-mount @lordvader04 this the one? Turning it into a remote mount basically?

@shadow grey 03, i posted a reply earlier but now its not showing so sorry if this is a double. How much did the whole thing run you? More than the cost of a $250-350 garbage 03/04 oil cooler? Because at this point even though i wanted to spend nothing at all, id like to keep it under that 200 range which should be doable. Also im not a fan of mmr, and the fact that they charge a ton for shipping yet it takes forever anyway (they are in ca, im in nj) doesnt help because im trying to do this right now.
Do you have pictures if you dont mind shadow? Thanks guys.

Snake Plissken

Established Member
I'd go with CG fabrication if I didn't already spend my money on other stuff. For $120 that's not bad at all and yes you'll have to go with remote oil filter mount. Why not? I don't know about you, but I get tired of the damn oil running all over everything and wrapping towels and anything else to keep from making a mess. This way just unscrew and it drops down. I'm not sure about this filter mount, but the one I have allows for a bigger filter which I think is a benefit.

FMD

Established Member
@snake Plissken, Yeah it goes to about $420 when you add in their relocation kit, which seeing as most go for 250-300ish anyway, I might as well just get everything from them. It sucks that its a lot more money than I was looking to spend on this, and the only thing im thinking of, safety wise, in most collisions either in the front or sides the oil is fine if the motor itself isnt damaged, but now routing it to either the the front or sides could be an issue IF that ever even happens. However Im incredibly OCD and I 100% agree with you, I cannot stand that without using a funnel setup everytime you drop the oil, it gets all over the rack and pinion and the frame and makes it look like you have some leak or something. Do you have any pictures of your setup if you dont mind Snake? Also I dont know how similar your setup is, but what are you running for your coolant hose now? It looks like it would need to be longer now which may be difficult because it will also have a bend in it. Thanks man.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
We offer this part along with all of the other parts needed to do what you are trying to do, MMR TRAX PACK oil cooler kit:

you can order here: http://www.modularmotorsportsracing...ain_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=444

439159_.jpg

Snake Plissken

Established Member
@snake Plissken, Yeah it goes to about $420 when you add in their relocation kit, which seeing as most go for 250-300ish anyway, I might as well just get everything from them. It sucks that its a lot more money than I was looking to spend on this, and the only thing im thinking of, safety wise, in most collisions either in the front or sides the oil is fine if the motor itself isnt damaged, but now routing it to either the the front or sides could be an issue IF that ever even happens. However Im incredibly OCD and I 100% agree with you, I cannot stand that without using a funnel setup everytime you drop the oil, it gets all over the rack and pinion and the frame and makes it look like you have some leak or something. Do you have any pictures of your setup if you dont mind Snake? Also I dont know how similar your setup is, but what are you running for your coolant hose now? It looks like it would need to be longer now which may be difficult because it will also have a bend in it. Thanks man.

Opps! sorry about that. I guess I didn't pay attention on the complete pricing. Yeah, $420 isn't cheap. No pics 'cause I haven't installed anything yet.

Years ago I bought a Max Motorsports filter relo. kit. Then last year I bought the MMR piece that eliminates the factory oil cooler. Kind of a Frankenstein mix of parts. Years ago MM gave you braided steel lines now it's braided nylon. Nothing wrong with the nylon, plenty strong and it's lighter. That filter mount holds a larger filter than factory. MM gave me a Ford HHP racing filter with the kit, but a lot of time went by and I didn't want to use it so I pitched it and bought a big Royal Purple filter that'll fit the mount.

As for the hose, go with a universal rad. hose. The flexible kind with ribs in it. You can find them at local hot rod shops or I'm sure Jeg's/Summit has them.

IMG_0340.JPG

Last edited:

FMD

Established Member
@snake plissken, Thats not bad at all, Only thing thats annoying with MM like you said is that it just goes over the cooler and does really nothing, so its not a true oil cooler delete. The oil cooler delete plate does look nice though. Right now it looks like CG is the cheapest with the most complete kit for what im looking to do at this point, kind of annoying they arent picking up their phones/voicemails or emails after 2 days... but well see. Thank you for all the input man, and I really like your idea with that flexible universal hose, I just hope it stands the test of time.

@Modular Racing, Thats actually a very nice kit and I like that it comes with the cooler, but im trying to keep costs down and even the cheaper kits it looks like are going to run somewhere around 300-400 any place I go, $500+ shipping (and from CA to NJ is going to take awhile, trying to have this on before the weekend) is out of my budget for this piece. I apreciate the info on yours though!

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
@Modular Racing, Thats actually a very nice kit and I like that it comes with the cooler, but im trying to keep costs down and even the cheaper kits it looks like are going to run somewhere around 300-400 any place I go, $500+ shipping (and from CA to NJ is going to take awhile, trying to have this on before the weekend) is out of my budget for this piece. I apreciate the info on yours though!

No problem and our pleasure!

Maustang

Established Member
I cut the neck of my Mach 1 housing.
Had a hose laying around that worked.
Just make sure you put a good hose clamp on it.
Mines been that way for 3 years with no problems.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Opps! sorry about that. I guess I didn't pay attention on the complete pricing. Yeah, $420 isn't cheap. No pics 'cause I haven't installed anything yet.

Years ago I bought a Max Motorsports filter relo. kit. Then last year I bought the MMR piece that eliminates the factory oil cooler. Kind of a Frankenstein mix of parts. Years ago MM gave you braided steel lines now it's braided nylon. Nothing wrong with the nylon, plenty strong and it's lighter. That filter mount holds a larger filter than factory. MM gave me a Ford HHP racing filter with the kit, but a lot of time went by and I didn't want to use it so I pitched it and bought a big Royal Purple filter that'll fit the mount.

As for the hose, go with a universal rad. hose. The flexible kind with ribs in it. You can find them at local hot rod shops or I'm sure Jeg's/Summit has them.

View attachment 56555
I think it depends on which one you get. My MM relocation kit showed up today and it has braided steel.

Josh662234

Established Member
I cut the neck of my Mach 1 housing.
Had a hose laying around that worked.
Just make sure you put a good hose clamp on it.
Mines been that way for 3 years with no problems.

Bumping this old thread because I'd love to see this set up. I need to do this or something real similar, today.

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
I am glad you bumped this because I have a question for anyone that can answer... I have a turbo setup on my 03 Cobra and just installed an oil cooler delete without a 1/8 port for an oil pressure sensor or turbo oil feed. It looks like the factory 1/8 ports are pre oil filter. My question is does it matter if I use the pre or post oil lines on the cooler delete block to tap into for my turbo oil feed? I am not sure if there is an pressure difference between the two and would like to use the the line after the filter so the turbo gets a supply of clean oil. However I used the factory setup for years without an issue.

I am swapping parts for my new build to save weight for drag racing and the oil cooler was on my list along with an aluminum block, ABS delete, afco k member(in place of my MM setup) and lightweight battery. So far I dropped over 100lbs off the nose.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I'm working on my remote oil filter/cooler set-up right now which is pretty impressive and will start a new thread outlining the details hopefully in a couple of weeks.

papajoewill

Established Member
Anyone get their kit done or have photos? I am in the same boat as OP and looking for options.

TitanSvt

Rico Collazo
Established Member
Anyone get their kit done or have photos? I am in the same boat as OP and looking for options.
Cobra Engineering oil cooler delete and MM oil filter relocation. After 2 failed oil coolers, I just deleted it. While it was apart and had no coolant, I also did the Cobra Engineering coolant crossover delete to move the T stat up top. The Cobra Engineering pieces are great, asctetically and functionally.
IMG_20220107_181828_078.jpeg
IMG_20220107_180420_322.jpeg
IMG_20220107_180420_345.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G998U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Cobra Engineering oil cooler delete and MM oil filter relocation. After 2 failed oil coolers, I just deleted it. While it was apart and had no coolant, I also did the Cobra Engineering coolant crossover delete to move the T stat up top. The Cobra Engineering pieces are great, asctetically and functionally.View attachment 1736447View attachment 1736448View attachment 1736449

doesn't it take forever for your car to warm up like that?

edit: i guess that's the wrong question - but how does the system circulate when you eliminate the factory bypass hose? does the coolant just remain in the heads until the t-stat opens up? trying to understand the mechanics of it

on a side note this is a pretty old thread i think there may be more up-to-date solutions for the oil cooler delete

Last edited:

papajoewill

Established Member
Cobra Engineering oil cooler delete and MM oil filter relocation. After 2 failed oil coolers, I just deleted it. While it was apart and had no coolant, I also did the Cobra Engineering coolant crossover delete to move the T stat up top. The Cobra Engineering pieces are great, asctetically and functionally.View attachment 1736447View attachment 1736448View attachment 1736449

Thank you for the post. Great info.

Also agree there may be some new innovative ways to solve this problem. This "no oil cooler production" on 03/04 cobras may affect us more moving forward.

Users who are viewing this thread