03/04 Cobra Crossover fill-plug seized

MrMason

Established Member
The fill plug is seized, it almost looked like someone welded it

photo1.jpg

I sprayed it with PB blaster, tried a chisel and hammer to lightly loosen it but I can't get this off. Has anyone else encountered this problem and gotten it off? Does anyone know the part number if I have to order a new one through Ford?

Svt Fox

Established Member
Go to your local pick and pull and grab one for $5 or less.

Try putting a little heat to it with a pair of vice grips.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
theres a guy on here that sells a different style plug (no more recessed head to strip out)

It took some doing but I managed to get a set of vice grips on mine tight enough and hit it with a hammer to jar it loose

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
most of us could never get that off easily. but that one does not look welded, just mangled.

some guys say to use heat, but I never had to. just get a real good grip on it with vice-grips, make sure you are not touching the tube at all, and go for it.

then buy an aftermarket replacement with a hex head.

Cobra03SC

Established Member
Mine came off easily with a 1/4" drive ratchet. Maybe I just got lucky

You did... like mentioned. Vice grips and heat are your best friend here. I busted countless 1/4 drives trying to get mine off and first try with some vice grips she popped loose.

muttley

-Neal-
Established Member
I got mine off by slotting the top with a dremel cut off wheel; Then a large screwdriver sideways can get the torque to it..

MrMason

Established Member
Thanks for the replies, took it into a shop and they put some heat on it to get it off.

turbov6joe

Defensor Fortis
Established Member
Those things are a whore to break loose....just broke my second 1/4 drive extension yesterday. I ended up soaking mine with pb blaster, then ran the motor till it was hot, then hit it again with a breaker bar and finally got it loose. I thought about welding a nut to it so I could use a 1/2" drive on it.

Users who are viewing this thread