03-04 Chrome Cobra Wheel mod- Free Bling!

W30bob

Established Member
If you like your chrome SVT wheels on your 03-04 Cobra here's something you should know. The backside of the wheel is fully chromed!! Why Ford paints them argent silver I don't know. I was over at my friends shop getting the external weights off my wheels before they messed up the chrome and I grabbed the wrong can of brake cleaner to clean the rim. I wanted the yellow can but I grabbed the red can of Brake-Kleen, which removes paint. With some light rubbing on the back side of the rim I rubbed thru the paint to reveal the shiney chrome!! Since the wheel was ruined unless I repainted it I decided to have a look. I only removed the paint to the first drop-off, since that is all you can see when the wheel is on the car. So I did all 4 and they look fantastic! Just FYI.

bob

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
Originally posted by W30bob
If you like your chrome SVT wheels on your 03-04 Cobra here's something you should know. The backside of the wheel is fully chromed!! Why Ford paints them argent silver I don't know. I was over at my friends shop getting the external weights off my wheels before they messed up the chrome and I grabbed the wrong can of brake cleaner to clean the rim. I wanted the yellow can but I grabbed the red can of Brake-Kleen, which removes paint. With some light rubbing on the back side of the rim I rubbed thru the paint to reveal the shiney chrome!! Since the wheel was ruined unless I repainted it I decided to have a look. I only removed the paint to the first drop-off, since that is all you can see when the wheel is on the car. So I did all 4 and they look fantastic! Just FYI.

bob

I can't remember who, but someone did a write up with pics on this forum for this . Looked good when they were done ..

Crowely

TRBO VNM

Re: Re: 03-04 Chrome Cobra Wheel mod- Free Bling!

Originally posted by Crowley
I can't remember who, but someone did a write up with pics on this forum for this . Looked good when they were done ..

Crowely

yeah, thanks for the info. it has been posted before and this other guy that did that write-up has the best process I have read so far and is very fast.

o3SnakeBite

Die Hard Sports Junkie
Established Member
I think it was StangWRX who did the write up wasnt it? Something i have been meaning to do!

stevieb

Established Member
Gotta pic? I hear it looks good, but I want to see one before I possibly ruin mine. Im putting on red anniversary calipers and it may be a good time to do it then.
BTW, I never seen a yellow can of brake clean, I know the green one (non chlorinated) will remove paint.
Hope someone has a pic.

NHRACobra

Cobra guy
Established Member
Like to see some pics. :) What product will remove paint, easily?

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
That silver paint comes off pretty easily with brake cleaner, goof off, prep solvent, etc. But make sure to use some good rubber gloves otherwise you'll wipe your fingerprints right off your fingers.:lol: And try to do this outside since the vapors from the solvents are pretty strong.

Users who are viewing this thread