02 F150 FX4 5.4L Exhaust Manifolds...

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
Ok, I just bought a 02 F150 FX4 with the triton...the truck is in super shape, but the exhaust manifolds look like flaky biscuits, and I have a leak, Im assuming that its coming from the passenger side manifold. Ive been told that the manifolds are horrible on these and that the thin steel bolts snap when you try to replace it...any experiences or tricks to solve this problem or take them out without snapping the bolts?:shrug:

acatalon

Established Member
I watched my mechanic skin his knuckles doing it, the engine had to be tilted to get clearance to remove and install new one. The replacement I think comes from a new model like the 08 that was improved to not warp and leak. It was a bear to do, I didnt want to mess with for fear of tiny bolts snapping. I would recommend new bolts as part of the required parts. Manifold was a little over 100.00 bucks from Tousley Ford

acatalon

Established Member
Yes the exhaust manifold. When we put it up against a straight edge the port closest to firewall on passenger side was uneven and caused an exhaust leak...its a known problem with 5.4 engines as well as spark plugs getting broken off in head when you try changing them. There was a tiny leak that sounded like a bad valve tick, when we saw the small carbon trail from the leak I was convinced that we had found the problem.

Last edited:

98SaleenSnake

Established Member
Ok, I just bought a 02 F150 FX4 with the triton...the truck is in super shape, but the exhaust manifolds look like flaky biscuits, and I have a leak, Im assuming that its coming from the passenger side manifold. Ive been told that the manifolds are horrible on these and that the thin steel bolts snap when you try to replace it...any experiences or tricks to solve this problem or take them out without snapping the bolts?:shrug:

I put JBA headers in my 02 f1 and didn't have any problems

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
its ok, I got a Dorman brand pass side manifold from advance and just put that on... been 25000 miles...no problems

rsb5772

Established Member
I'll replace the heads if I have to go through this again! I had 2 broken studs on mine, which caused the leak. Had to tilt the motor to drill/back them out.

About 50,000 miles since, and no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread