01 problems

Established Member
The real problem is the tranny. Everything else I can fix without huge cost to me even if they deny me warranty work. And the problem with the tranny is that it is weak. The shift forks will bend if you miss more than a few shifts in its lifetime. Also, my car's dyno runs with only pulleys and an O/R X produced flywheel torque numbers (based upon all that gear ratio calc stuff loss) that exceed the torque rating on the tranny. Ford really went cheapo with the tranny thing. Any Mustang producing over 320 lbs-ft should have a 3550, TKO, or T56. Otherwise, you get my problem eventually. The dealership said "this is the last time, Dustin." I informed them that according to Federal and State Law they had to continue to repair my car for as long as I have a warranty. So far, nothing I have done should cause catastrophic (sp?) failure of a tranny. Every time, they have claimed it was the last time. On my fourth one as of Monday... :mj: :gt:

SVTNICK

Established Member
I just booked my car in again for a Monday service..I told them i was putting in yellow stickies where the problems were with the mileage of when it all started and and other details i have. My car has a tick over 6000 miles and im hearing more noises now then i did at 4000. Im really getting fed up... It actually annoys me that when I call SVT they claim this is the first they have heard of it..and we all know thats a load of BS. I bleed blue..but im starting to think that i should of bought the vette or m3 and bought a used 98 Cobra...this is getting rediculous...

sssSnake 01

Established Member
One fix and a good report

I was having the same noises many of you complained about. Even took the car in to the dealership to have them look at the transmission. After they replaced the release bearing it still chattered and clunked. I was also getting play in the clutch and a burning clutch smell at times. The dealership did not know how to fix the problem.

I took my car to U.S. Motorsports in Arlington Texas where the Manager Archie listened to my problem and walked out to the parking lot and fixed the problem in less than 2 minutes without the use of tools.

He went under the dash and depressed the release on the clutch adjustment and took the slack out of my clutch....no more cricket like chatter, no more burning clutch.

I now have 18,600 miles on my daily driver and it runs better now than when it was new.

I had pinging when I bought the car and that too in time worked itself out. I realized that the tranny is stronger than I thought. In my case it was just a simple clutch adjustment.

If you have the chirping noise and when you put your foot lightly on the clutch it goes away ...adjust your clutch.

The fork sits against the throughout bearing and chatters since there is no tention.

I am finally driving the car I bought. Smooth with no more weird noises. Hang on to your car it gets better with age.

Last edited:

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Re: One fix and a good report

Originally posted by sssSnake 01
I was having the same noises many of you complained about. Even took the car in to the dealership to have them look at the transmission. After they replaced the release bearing it still chattered and clunked. I was also getting play in the clutch and a burning clutch smell at times. The dealership did not know how to fix the problem.

I took my car to U.S. Motorsports in Arlington Texas where the Manager Archie listened to my problem and walked out to the parking lot and fixed the problem in less than 2 minutes without the use of tools.

He went under the dash and depressed the release on the clutch adjustment and took the slack out of my clutch....no more cricket like chatter, no more burning clutch.

I now have 18,600 miles on my daily driver and it runs better now than when it was new.

I had pinging when I bought the car and that too in time worked itself out. I realized that the tranny is stronger than I thought. In my case it was just a simple clutch adjustment.

If you have the chirping noise and when you put your foot lightly on the clutch it goes away ...adjust your clutch.

The fork sits against the throughout bearing and chatters since there is no tention.

I am finally driving the car I bought. Smooth with no more weird noises. Hang on to your car it gets better with age.

i have a little of the drivetrain slack, had a bent shift fork for third gear (ONE missed shift, on the freeway) so i'm on my second tranny (THEY SUCK!). now my driver window squeaks slightly when going up, but I'm taking it in to the dealership soon to have that checked, cause a friend said his was doing that, then stopped working....lol, guess the power windows aren't all that great on the cobras...

ROSENDO SANCHEZ

Established Member
I didn't know our trannys were that weak!! The cobra is ford's flagship top-of-the-line mustang and they put in a weak tranny???:fm:

SVTNICK

Established Member
LOL

Well..my friend at FOrd called me and told me that his tech says the noise behind my dash is indeed drive train noise..go figure....and he doesnt really want to start taking the dash apart since it only occurs at idle and seems to be pretty faint and for the most part..normal.....by chance does anybody else have this "drivetrain" noise that is coming from behind the dash...

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Re: LOL

Originally posted by SVTNICK
Well..my friend at FOrd called me and told me that his tech says the noise behind my dash is indeed drive train noise..go figure....and he doesnt really want to start taking the dash apart since it only occurs at idle and seems to be pretty faint and for the most part..normal.....by chance does anybody else have this "drivetrain" noise that is coming from behind the dash...

I do sometimes, but I can barely hear it if I do, and only at idle.....

AtlCobra01

Established Member
this transmission clunking that everyone is talking about......is it the clunkety-clunk you hear after letting off the clutch and pressing accelerator while at the same time the car jumps a few times???....if so....i have the same.......

wildosvt

Established Member
Re: Re: One fix and a good report

Originally posted by quick01snake

i have a little of the drivetrain slack, had a bent shift fork for third gear (ONE missed shift, on the freeway) so i'm on my second tranny (THEY SUCK!). now my driver window squeaks slightly when going up, but I'm taking it in to the dealership soon to have that checked, cause a friend said his was doing that, then stopped working....lol, guess the power windows aren't all that great on the cobras...

My window squeeked and they fixed it works great now must be a new level part,I hate new level parts!!!why change it if the old ones work fine!And it is about time for 03 explorers and man here we go (this is the dash board i build) I cant wait for things to get all skrewd up again:cuss:

Ram Rod

Got Truck?
Established Member
I too have this infamous clunk along with a fluttering high pitch noise at idle. Here is what Ford did to fix. Or so they said.

R and R Trans. Replaced Clutch DIsc. Pressure Plate and Throw Out Bearing. Test Drove.OK

Parts Used: Insulator
Disk Asy-Clutch
Plt & Cvr Asy
PRDIFF
Hub & Brg Asy

Worked great for about 1000 miles and guess what, it came back.
Went back to Ford dropped it off and had to drive around in a Taurus for 2 days. I get a call from the service advisor saying its all done come pick it up. Great I went down there and they did nothing to it. She states and I quote, "this is normal for the cobra." I demanded to see the Tech Lead and he told me a different story about how Ford has been addressed and issue with the 2001 Cobra's and there tranys. So I have to wait and there is nothing he can do. So I call every week and ask for the same Tech and ask "So how is that issue coming along, any resolutions." I know he is getting T-ed off and its great.

I guess if I dont hear anything soon I will be contacting their corp.office.

My gripe sorry so long.

Big Daddy

Open Track Junkie!
Established Member
I also had the clunk mostly in 5th gear. Since I've changed the gears the clunk is gone. I think it must be the 3:27's final gear ratio??

Users who are viewing this thread