01 problems

ROSENDO SANCHEZ

Established Member
I've had my 01 cobra for about six months now. Never had any problems with it until recently. Before, I have read many posts about all these problems with thier cobra and never really believed it, but now I do. No one else I know has an 01 cobra so I don't know if the noises, thunks, pinging, and hard start ups are normal. Currently, my cobra is at the dealer getting serviced for the "check engine'' light coming on. I have told them about the many noises coming from the car but I am afraid they are going to tell me this is normal. I love my cobra and have always backed up ford, especially in front of SS and trans am owners. I had planned to keep this car for a very long time, but with all these problems it probably wouldnt last. I am also afraid if when the warranty expires my car will continue to give me problems in turn making expesive repairs. What should I do? Sell my cobra and hope a much better 02 cobra comes out, buy a 02 ss comaro or just keep it and pray it will be trouble-free for a long time?:(

LogiWorld123

Established Member
well..the 02 SS's are the last of their kind, so i dont trust the quality control too much...

the cobra will have better resale value.

hmm.. i dont really know honestly though.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Sorry to hear your snake is giving you trouble, Rosendo. A member of SCOA has started a problems database:

01 Cobra Owners

I'm convinced that with some octane booster your engine should be OK (until they get the programming worked out). I have heard mixed reports about the clunking and creaking... I wouldn't just jettison your Cobra, immediately, however. If your car truly is one of the serious ones, I know of one '01 that has been bought back and will be applied toward a '02 Terminator...not a bad deal. Let me note that this particular car missed several welds from the factory and even after being "fixed", was not safe. I believe this to be an extreme example and an isolated incident...

Black97Cobra

Established Member
Go check out the forum on BlueOvalNews. The cobra owners have been screaming bloody murder over the pingers. Can't count how many forums they have filled up. Pinging, knocking, motors blowing up. Gotta feel for em. Anyway, they are trying to get organized so if you want on their list they are starting it right now. Good Luck.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Dare I say that '98 is was the last good year for Cobras.:coolman:

But sorry to hear of your problems. Ford needs to remove their heads from their asses and get this taken care of.

ROSENDO SANCHEZ

Established Member
Is there any groups forming because of this cobra fiasco? If there is let me know. My car would be a perfect example of low quality vehicle.

ROSENDO SANCHEZ

Established Member
Got my cobra back and guess what? Check engine light came right back on again. They didint fix any of the noises that it had when I took it in.:mj:

Snake Eyez

Established Member
Don't feel too bad, yet! I've had my Cobra 4 and a half months and today is day # 21 in the shop. i have "Pinging", the "Transmission Clunk", and this random, intermittent, stalling problem that has almost caused me to get in 2 accidents. AT least my service manager is a good guy, and he is trying to take carre of me. The guys I bought the car from are behind me 100% too. That's the only thing that has kept me from filing with the BBB so far. Good luck, and as they have said, feel free to join us over on Blue Oval News, where we are "Bitchin up a storm".

Here's a link for the Cobra Problem Database , make sure you post your problems there.

svtgirl

Girls can too!!!
Established Member
I've had transmission problems with my '01. Been in the shop 3 or four times for it now, finally they seem to have fixed it., also 3 of my 4 power windows gave out and stopped working. Starting to think I got a lemon.

SlvrSnke01

Established Member
To date w/ 8k on my COBRA the only problem is excess drivetrain slack. With the Steeda Tri-Ax the clanking noise is significantly more pronounced and occurs only when I let off the gas or get back on very quickly. Could the teeth on the flywheel be chipped? Any Ideas? Otherwise, I am completely satisfied w/ the COBRA.

On a side note this is my second 01 mustang, the first was a 01 GT which threw a rod, had clutch problems, and paint defects (Silver Metallic w/ white pigment bleeding through) and eventually was reclaimed by the dealer. To my good fortune, the dealer ended up buying the car back from me at invoice and then sold me a new COBRA for invoice.

In reference to quality my 90 LX is by far superior in build and drivetrain reliability. I would love to see a 99 or 01 stand up to 100 passes on the original short block, transmission, and rear.

Sorry to babble,

Bill

Established Member
I bought my Cobra back in May and have never had engine problems. My tranny died in two months after going tot he track once or twice, so it was replaced on warranty because, frankly, the tranny didn't die from the racing. Somehow, I lost all but 1 and 5. Anyway, Ford sent a T45on accident and for the past 4 months I and my dealership have been trying to get Ford to admit to the wrong tranny and send the right one. Well, they kept saying a T45 could not fit in my car (how did they get it into the 99? :-? :cuss: :mj: ). Anyway, my dealership got so fed up that they ordered a 3650 for me on their own credit and installed it with a new clutch I bought. (For free) So tranny probs are the only ones I have had.

Although, I wonder if running around with retarded timing has anything to do with it? My TA is set to 12 degrees, but the knock sensor should be retarding my timing in response (this is about to be dealt with). So it is running 9 or 10 degrees, right? I dunno if 1 degree makes any difference, though... Also, my engine was built when the 2000 Cobra was supposed to go to production, so I have an old engine. Has anyone noticed differences in build dates and ping reports?

Sorry for the long post, 103

SVTNICK

Established Member
Problems

I too have the Cobra noises. I have a noise coming from behind the dash somewhere, and a clunking on the right side rear. I have had it checked out, and both times they said it they saw nothing. I also had a high piched squeak coming from the front left wheel somewhere which the dealer lubbed up..went away for now...all other noises are present though....no motor probs

Unfortunately I have to sell my baby too..i hurt my back and might not be able to drive a manual car for a long time after surgery..(find out tomorrow if i need it..yuck!!)
so if interested...

29000 and she is yours(maybe)
she's black
have 5 year 100000 mile warranty
3400 miles

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
>>>also 3 of my 4 power windows gave out and stopped working. Starting to think I got a lemon.<<

Is this some Canadian thing? Do your rear windows roll down?

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Doh! Never even thought of that.
Got coupes on the brain. :rolling:

ROSENDO SANCHEZ

Established Member
update

just wanted to know how all of your cars been running since most of us has had our 01's for several months now. Except for the "normal" noises my cobra has been running pretty good, with improving times at the track with no mods except a tri-ax shifter:)

SVTNICK

Established Member
Im still have the creak in the right rear and some annoying noises coming from behind the dash (all that u can only hear at idle..except for a popping noise that i hear occassionally when driving)..but other than that..she is running perfectly.....

Established Member
My third replacement tranny will be installed Monday and I still have heating problems and now my car pings. (Started pinging at 18900 miles.) :mj: :gt: :cuss:

TIAMAT

Established Member
Hey 103

What the hell does your service dealer say? I have a mach 1 on order (pre order actually) and this freaks me out. They need to take care of the problems soon. If i trade my 01L in and this mach 1 is a piece of shiznit, i'll be extremely pissed and broke.
Thanks, J-mart:bash:

Users who are viewing this thread