01 IRS carnage pics

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
01bluesnake swapped in a fresh 03 IRS for me with full tilts bushing kit.

Here is pictures of what he found in the 01 IRS diff. Guess this explains why the car had ugly clunking on right or left turns.

jondiff1.gif

jondiff.gif

jondiff2.gif

IMG00087-20100108-0905.gif

jondiff3.gif

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Ouch. When I changed gears at 48k, one of the spider gears has a small notch in one of the teeth, maybe 2mm deep. The car had to be put back together the next day(Sunday) so we took a little grinder and smoothed the edge and it has been fine the last 5k. Maybe the steel or the forging process in the spider gears is inferior to what is used for the ring and pinion.

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
01bluesnake, dude you were beating on that poor posi!!

Actually funny thing is this car saw only 1 track outing in its life. Rarely hard launches on the street. It did get driven well however. But I think the one track outing I did this fall was the start of the problem as I wheel hopped real bad before I could pedal out of it. Diff had some seepage as well but then no more so maybe it got hot as well. What did it in completely was a quick 1-2 shift on the street and I felt a nasty metallic bang from the rear so that was prob when it sheered.

matt87

Established Member
same thing happened to a 94 f-150 i used to have. it was a manual tranny with a straight 6. must either metal fatigue or shock damage

SlowSVT

Established Member
:bowdown:

For some reason I can't explain I love seeing carnage (non-accident related of course) done to other peoples cars ....... Maybe it’s a macho thing but I don't know for sure. To be honest this one is a bit disappointing for me. Next time could you put a little more effort into your mechanical major malfunction. Perhaps having the ring gear explode sending it thru of the side of the diff housing taking the axle with it! :banana:

...........throwing a rod at redline works too :thumbsup:

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
Were you racing with it when it started to clunk?

I'm sure it happened at some point during a hard acceleration event. It had 130,000 miles on it in the end. At some point it was going to let go in there.

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
:bowdown:

For some reason I can't explain I love seeing carnage (non-accident related of course) done to other peoples cars ....... Maybe it’s a macho thing but I don't know for sure. To be honest this one is a bit disappointing for me. Next time could you put a little more effort into your mechanical major malfunction. Perhaps having the ring gear explode sending it thru of the side of the diff housing taking the axle with it! :banana:

...........throwing a rod at redline works too :thumbsup:

My apologies for the lackluster carnage. :-D

01bluesnake

Established Member
all the damage was contained to the gears, a couple small nics on the rear cover, and a few chips on the pinion. i will be throwing in new set of bearings & seals, ring and pinion, and '03 diff.

Users who are viewing this thread