01 Cobra with bad Catalytic Converter

01yellercobra

Established Member
It can if it's clogged up. But if it's clogged the car wouldn't run very well. My cats fell apart while driving and it didn't mess up the A/F.

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
^ If the cat itself is bad (clogged, or broken up), remove that heavy, restrictive factory H-pipe for an aftermarket off-road X or H pipe and add some MIL eliminators to the REAR 02 sensors and call it a day...

You'll gain a few ponies and lose a few pounds underneath the car. However the non-catted exhaust system will produce smelly fumes (some find this odor to be intoxicating), you'll damage the environment (meh, silly treehuggers), and/or may encounter exhaust emissions testing difficulty if you have to pass an annual test in your state for registration purposes (you'll automatically fail a visual inspection for lack of cats and the sniffer test too, although some aftermarket CATTED H or X pipes can still PASS a sniffer test, YMMV).

Additionally, you should be able to scrap the cats from the factory H-pipe at a local recycling/scrap metal yard to recover some of your money. That's what all the scrappers do anyways (especially the dishonest ones who steal 'em from underneath cars/trucks LOL).

s10rizzo

Established Member
I just got the car and it does have the Bassanni highflo catted x pipe. One of the cats are bad but not clogged .... so far. The previous owner installed Hypertech power programmer. He is sending it to me. I'm waiting to see if I can turn off the o2 sensors with it. If not I think i'll order the MIL eliminators to shut the check engine light off.

Users who are viewing this thread