01 Cobra w/Vortech...help/suggestions

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
First let me say I've read all the FAQs above about the Basics and also the Blowers.

Ok, here's the deal. I have an 01 Cobra with a Vortech V-2, 42lb injectors, high flow pump, Vortech MAF, BBK Longtube headers with full exhaust. When I push in the clutch to come to a stop the car dies. And when I'm not giving the car gas it bucks like it's not getting fuel or blowing out spark...in other words it's hard to drive the thing in 3rd gear @ 45-50mph because it's bucking all over the place. Also during this time of letting of the gas and cruising the car my A/F gauge goes completely lean.

So here's what I've done: New IAC, new TPS, new Fuel Filter, 4 new O2 sensors, changed plugs from NGK TR55s to Autolite 103s gapped at .34, cleaned the MAF and reloaded my Custom Tune from Bamachips Performance provided by my SCT X2. And the damn thing is still dying when I push in the clutch to come to a stop and bucking when I cruise the car. I'm tired of spending money and playing the guessing game!!

Could I be blowing out a spark? Could a fuel injector be stuck closed? (<--they're practically new though..so) Could I actually need new plug wires? The car has 64k miles on it by the way and I've replaced everything I know to replace without pulling the injectors to see if one is sticking.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited:

vteckiller2000

Add Lightness
Established Member
Is your MAF set up for draw through or blow through? If it is draw through you may have a loose hose from the bypass valve or your bypass valve may have failed completely.

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
Draw through. I disconnected everyhting that has something to do with the supercharger and the air components last night and cleaned everything and retightened clamps and doulbed up with zip-ties and it still does the same thing.

I've been making phone calls and one guy at a local performance shop said that my EGR valve could have carbon build up causing it to kill the engine. I'm gonna check it out.

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
Which fuel pump are you running?

It's supposed to be whichever one comes with the Vortech kit. I'm thinking I'm going to break down and purchase the Aviator pump.

So I bought a new EGR valve and that didn't stop my problem either. I also took the injectors out and cleaned them as well. Still dies when I come to a stop and still bucks like crazy when cruising. A/F gauge goes WAY rich when at WOT and WAY lean when crusing or coming to a stop. I'm about to give completely up :fm:

DarkMesa8

4.6 Rookie, 5.0 Pro
Established Member
I just installed the vortech on my 01, and have been having that bucking and wanting to die problem that you have now. I'm extremely frustrated with the car, especially since she just started pinging like crazy today.

vteckiller2000

Add Lightness
Established Member
The pump supplied with the vortech kit is designed to be used in a return fuel system and WILL FAIL if used with a returnless pulse feedback system. Switch the pump.

vteckiller2000

Add Lightness
Established Member
Aviator or focus pump. I am using my stock pump and BAP as it supports more power than just an aviator or focus pump. The BAP is more expensive though.

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
So I just ordered the Focus pump. I'm assuming that I can still run a BAP with the Focus pump if I need to later on? Thanks for your help.

vteckiller2000

Add Lightness
Established Member
So I just ordered the Focus pump. I'm assuming that I can still run a BAP with the Focus pump if I need to later on? Thanks for your help.

You can, but you will need to switch to a modified FPDM (fuel pump driver module) as the stock one can't take the current with a BAP. Lethal Performance sells them for about $200.

Jamie R.

Established Member
One other thing to try is the DPFE sensor which is located near the egr. My car had a miss when I would be cruising through town between red lights but as soon as I would give it some gas the problem would go away. My car finnally through a code and it turned out to be the DPFE sensor. I'm not saying that's your problem but just trying to offer a suggestion because I know how frustrating having a problem like that can be. Good luck!!

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra on the Cover of MM&FF's August '07 Issue

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
I'd take another look at your MAF. Where is it located in the piping? Do you have it near a bend or in a clocked position other than close to stock?

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
ack, forget the bloody focus pump. god damn the misinformation is getting bad (somewhat my fault with that sticky).

get yourself a GT pump not a focus or aviator

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
I'm showing a P1000 code. Looked it up and I guess I need to complete a drive cycle?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread