01 Cobra vs. 67 Cornett R/T

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Keep in mind though that a lot of what we call "new technology" was actually around in the 60's.

Ford had tunnel port cammer 428's, Pontiac had plans for a DOHC RA V style engine and did have the overhead cam sprint Firebirds. Fuel injection was on the 53 vette etc.

You can make power the oldschool way it's just that you've got to really get in to the motor to tap it. It's just not as easy as starting with a nice efficient motor to begin with then over-engineering the parts that the manufacturer didn't (Like intakes, exhaust etc)

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
You mean 427?? I have respect for any old muscle. Most of the stuff you run into is either a. stock, or b. mild as hell. For modern driving the cobra and this new stuff is fun, but I still have way more fun in my old mach 1, wich isn't mild, and isn't any slouch. I don't consider roll racing, racing. ohh and serpentnoir you must not have been around anything fast, because the old stuff that I am used to is what I would call "fast" until you run into a KB or TT 03-04, a N/A 4v cleveland running low 11's high ten's in pretty respectable IMHO.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Yup sorry typo. 427 cammer.

The pontiac Ram Air V was actually a tunnel port design losely based on the ford designs. Monster heads. Intake ports you could stick a fist in!! I'd kill for a complte RA V setup for my bird.

Not that you can't make as much or more power with today's modern aluminum heads, but the rarity and the power than you can make with that setup is appealing.

tdo

Established Member
serpentnoir said:
A friend tried to show me how quick his 440, four barrel, Superbird was. Nice car and I thanked him after but it was miserably slow.

Never designed for drag racing. :p

SGL

Banned
99cobrablack said:
ohh and serpentnoir you must not have been around anything fast, because the old stuff that I am used to is what I would call "fast" until you run into a KB or TT 03-04, a N/A 4v cleveland running low 11's high ten's in pretty respectable IMHO.

They weren't that fast off the showroom floor. In any case, a car is a complete package. Those old muscle cars couldn't turn or brake worth a damn. In addition to that, the Chryslers wouldn't start when it was humid outside (been there, done that...). The AMC's would start burning oil within 50k miles.

In many ways I'm happy they are gone. The quicker the retro thing is over with, the better. You won't see me at Barrett-Jackson spending 200k on an old dinosaur...

Users who are viewing this thread