01 Cobra vs. 67 Cornett R/T

cobra2798

I have no car
Established Member
So I ran the R/T that I posted about earlier in the week. we did 1 dig and 3 rolls. I only have vid of the dig and 1 roll.

The mods on the cornett are:
440 big block
780 holley on a wiend Team G aluminum intake
The motor is bored out .30 over
Purple stripe racing cam
Custom made exhaust 3 inch from headers to the dumps under the car
The transmisson is 727 torque flite with B&M 3200 stall with a shift kit and transmisson cooler
3.91 gears with positraction

First from a dig. I couldnt find second here, It would of been a hell of a race if I did.
http://media.putfile.com/Untitled-24

Now from a roll, there is 3 honks you just really have to listen hard.
http://media.putfile.com/cobra-vs-RT

Now a little burnout I did later that night
http://media.putfile.com/Red01-Burnout

cobra2798

I have no car
Established Member
Torch10th said:
I haet seeing these threads and being at work. How was the outcome?

I'll check the vids out when I get home.
He wins from a dig with me missing 2nd and he gets murdered from a roll.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
That's what I figured.

It takes big power to get the older cars moving from a roll. They can be brutal from a dig though.

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
Torch10th said:
That's what I figured.

It takes big power to get the older cars moving from a roll. They can be brutal from a dig though.

Not the mention it has an automatic which isn't gonna run as well from a roll. With a 4-speed the R/T would walk him.

sixt5

Established Member
i can vouch for the no power on a roll thing. what kind of tranny does he have? he could be making his power down low and having nothing up top, where as i think cobras have plenty to go around up there. right?

Speeds8erM-1

Video Whore
Established Member
When you start saying purple stripe racing cam and stuff, you know they are in for a loss most of the time. Too old school! 3/4 race cam, aluminum high rise, pop up pistons, milled heads, bored out cylinders, double pumpaaaaar

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
No he's just saying old school technology. It's a nostalgia thing.

Engine fundamentals don't change though. You can still make stupid power old school.

The 455 in my firebird makes power the old school way and it's got plenty to go around.

.30 over, N crank, forged rotating assemply 11.5:1 compression ported #62's first generation edelbrock aluminum manifold and a quadrajet. It's around 500/550 on moter.

cobra2798

I have no car
Established Member
That dig will be redone in the next 2 weeks. I think I got him from a dig also. You can see in the vid as I get to the top of 1st I start to pull a little and then I miss 2nd and just gave up. We have a cruise coming up next sunday so we will most likley do it then, ill post the vid, and he also wants to run me spraying his 250 shot :eek:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
03silversvt said:
Your car is badass bro. Im a little dissapointed in the old school muscle though.

I wasn't dissapointed at all. It's a pretty mild 440.

It's got a streetable cam in it, stock heads an aluminum intake and exhaust.

Now if we're talking aftermarket heads, better itnake, high compression healthier bump stick etc and it still couldn't pull by a bolt-on 4.6 DOHC then yeah I'd be dissapointed to. For a mild built heavy ass tank of a muscle car though I think it did well.

SGL

Banned
It's always funny to see the old muscle cars against the newer cars. It just shows how much technology has improved. When I hear the uncles talk about 69 Camaros or Mach 1 Mustangs with Cleveland 4V motors or Chevelle SS, I always get a good laugh. Any late model Camaro SS, Cobra (especially 03~04) or C4, C5 and C6 vette will absolutely kill those cars. That is especially true if they are restored to like new with bias ply or repro tires. A friend tried to show me how quick his 440, four barrel, Superbird was. Nice car and I thanked him after but it was miserably slow. Big smoke show though.

There were a few special cars back then that were genuinely fast: Ford Thunderbolt, Hemi Dart, L88 Vette to name a few but they were specialty items and couldn't turn worth a damn.

Last edited by a moderator:

cobra2798

I have no car
Established Member
Yeah everyone in our club that night thought I was gonna get killed and they had me starting to think that way to. I know if I dont miss a gear next time I will own him from a dig also. Im proud of my snake and its running real good so I cant wait for the rematch on 4/23/06, so stay tuned for the rematch vid.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
serpentnoir said:
It's always funny to see the old muscle cars against the newer cars. It just shows how much technology has improved. When I hear the uncles talk about 69 Camaros or Mach 1 Mustangs with Cleveland 4V motors or Chevelle SS, I always get a good laugh. Any late model Camaro SS, Cobra (especially 03~04) or C4, C5 and C6 vette will absolutely kill those cars. That is especially true if they are restored to like new with bias ply or repro tires. A friend tried to show me how quick his 440, four barrel, Superbird was. Nice car and I thanked him after but it was miserably slow. Big smoke show though.

There were a few special cars back then that were genuinely fast: Ford Thunderbolt, Hemi Dart, L88 Vette to name a few but they were specialty items and couldn't turn worth a damn.

That's where the custom market coems in to play.

Pro-Touring is the way to go with the old cars now. Most F-body guys are running LSx engines in their 1st and 2nd gen F-bodies. The mustang guys are running newer 5.0's and 4.6 motors with tricked out suspensions, huge wheels it's nuts.

My 69 Firebird is being built alogn those lines but I'm retaining the old school poncho mill...just with a large hair dryer added to it.

sixt5

Established Member
the look of an "old school" car helps it alot. you see the outside and think its georgous, then see the motor and specs and you'll think its a beast. even when the thing starts upa nd you hear the lopey sound :rockon:

but as yall said. its nothing copared to technogoly. i found out the hard way. by getting beat by a six cylinder :??: . todays cars can go up thropugh the rpms like crazy and when matched up with a stick shift... is over

Users who are viewing this thread