01 Cobra vs. 06 GTO

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member
lemosley01 said:
Imagine if it had lost a couple hundred lbs. The same people that designed the new GT500 must have had a hand in the GTO...!

Yep. I've trimmed off 143lbs which helps a little but a few more hundred would be great!

kezell

MW3-kezell17
Established Member
Why are they going to quit making them. I think they look pretty cool. What all is need to be done to the 06 GTO to get it to run in the low 12's?

johnjib

Little '99 SVT
Established Member
Bcuz they anticipated about 12k sold a year and they only sold 1/2 to 2/3 the numbers expected every year.

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
johnjib said:
Bcuz they anticipated about 12k sold a year and they only sold 1/2 to 2/3 the numbers expected every year.

Plus they already had 1 Grand Am, so why add another one to the lineup?

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
I'm surprised GM didn't throw a bunch of nascar stickers on it and the body-cladding like the 'Nascar-racer' Monte Carlo's.

Let's be thankful SOMEONE killed that idea if it came up...

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
lemosley01 said:
I'm surprised GM didn't throw a bunch of nascar stickers on it and the body-cladding like the 'Nascar-racer' Monte Carlo's.

Let's be thankful SOMEONE killed that idea if it came up...

Too bad Ford didn't kill these NASCAR Signature Edition F150's, one of my dad's friends just bought one of these in black, they are hideous!

F13768.JPG

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
Are you sure those aren't 'dealer editions' (ie, something dealer does after receiving the vehicle). Sort of like dealers doing up V6 S197s to look like GTs with the foglights, etc.

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member
johnjib said:

Not true. From the beginning the run of this model was only three years with a production of 15K a year. They are skipping 2007 and coming out with a new body/frame for 2008.

As far as the other question of what it takes to run low 12s. A 100 shot for less then $500 does it real quick. I've spent $1800 and I have reliable power with consistant high 11s and that was before the cam. Now I have mid to low 11s . . .

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
no_slow_svt said:
must be nice to only have one cam and get great power gains.
lol

J

I've considered someday swapping a LSX engine into my car...

Sacrilege, I know, but you have to go with what works (well).

poneypower

They call me Shipwreck!
Established Member
kezell said:
Why are they going to quit making them?

Future model years air bag safety requirements would require a major rework of the interior of the vehicle, and with the lagging sales, there was no way GM would do that....at least that is what I read anyway

spyne

Established Member
viperbluelx said:
Too bad Ford didn't kill these NASCAR Signature Edition F150's, one of my dad's friends just bought one of these in black, they are hideous!

F13768.JPG

D***, that's about the uglyest truck I've ever seen.

coreseller

Established Member
[

The fact of the matter is that the GTO was brought in from Australia manufactured by the Holden Division of General Motors. I beleive the original Aussie version was called the CV8. When the US got the GTO (A "high content" Monaro with left side drive) it was built on a platform that was already nearly 10 years old, also the Aussie version stickers at $50 to $60k vs. the US $32k sticker with the '04's. Some of us were lucky and scored these '04's during the GM firesale in late '04 (mine was $23k, I know of some that went for $17k to $18k brand new with the GM Visa card round-up and military discount). Also, don't rag the car until you drive one, it's WAY more solid than any Mustang, new or old, that I've driven or been in, (I have a Cobra and my partner has an '05 Saleen that I've driven more than once)period. Yeah the GTO is heavy (only 200 lbs. more than my Aluminum block / heads '01 Vert) and in my opinion that is a good thing since it is truly meant to be more of a Grand Touring car more than a pure performance / handling machine. The "bloated Cavalier" comment is also an extremely lame regergitation of magazine wag remarks. Sorry for the rant, yep I own a Cobra and a GTO, I just get a bit worked up when I repeatedly read people talking out their arses regarding other cars that aren't just like theirs. :poke:

Last edited:

xxstatic

Ride Red
Established Member
I drove a 06 GTO and loved it, felt like a 4 seat Corvette.
The sticker price was alot more than I wanted to spend.
Maybe after these are out of production a while the appreciation for them will increase.

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
so long as is not an LS1 GTO. On the way home i totally assrapped one. I think theyre slower than LS1 F-bods. I mean geeze, I felt kinda bad. From a roll, i just dropped into third (after he did) and I pulled prety hard. Did this about 3 times. We got off the same exit, and from a dig he pulled an instant half car off the line(ill admit, i suck total ass at launching). However after that, I musta put 2 cars on him, possibly almost 3. Im dead even with a buddies newer GTO. They are definately nice cars on the inside. I cant make myself like the outside tho, but they are very solid cars.

coreseller

Established Member
You either ran into a slow GTO or the other guy couldn't drive. You are right about the LS2 (400 hp) being the better choice, but I know that my stock LS1 has never been pulled by a NA Cobra or Mach 1 and I've run into a few (I drive the GTO 700 plus miles a week for work). IMO they are both nice cars, it's just that after having both for nearly 2 years I quickly realized that they are VERY different cars, the Cobra is alot more high strung and wants to be twisted up and ran hard, the GTO is very content to cruise and occasionally flex it's power, it is nowhere near a agile as the Cobra. I remember reading where a Mustang magazine had trouble getting a Terminator Cobra to eek out a win in the quarter mile against an '05 LS2 GTO when they first came out, it took them several tries with the same driver! If you go to one of the GTO boards you'll find plenty of guys there beating their chests over trouncing Cobras also, holy crap, I'm starting to sound like a Pontaic salesman :lol1:. Just my .02 cents, I'll shut up now.....Mark.

Last edited:

kezell

MW3-kezell17
Established Member
Well we went run them.......The best the stock 06 GTO ran was a 14.1 @ 102.3, We never were able to get side by side for the video. My best of the night was a 12.62 @ 109. The heat was killing everyone. TheY had another guy there with a 06 GTO with exhaust and Filter and his best was a 13.81 @ 105 with a 1.98 60ft. I am not impressed with those cars.

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member
kezell said:
Well we went run them.......The best the stock 06 GTO ran was a 14.1 @ 102.3, We never were able to get side by side for the video. My best of the night was a 12.62 @ 109. The heat was killing everyone. TheY had another guy there with a 06 GTO with exhaust and Filter and his best was a 13.81 @ 105 with a 1.98 60ft. I am not impressed with those cars.

Bad drivers. I have buddies running bone stock 06s in the 12.9X for the M6 and 13.2-13.3 for the A4s. Heck, I ran 13.5 when my 04 M6 was stock.

kezell

MW3-kezell17
Established Member
Well even from a roll after the we left the trak they werent able to hang at all. We went from a 2nd gear roll and 3rd gear rolls. Same results both times.

I am not beating the cars down. I love the cars. They handle far better than what my car does.

Charles236

Established Member
I have to say I'm impressed with the '06 GTO. I have driven an '06 GTO with the automatic and LS2 engine, and it felt pretty stout to me. I haven't had a chance to run this particular Goat yet, but I'm sure that I'll have the chance, since my brother just bought it (traded in an LS1 powered Corvette on it). I was impressed by the way the car ran in spite of the weight, and the build quality was far ahead of typical GM cars. How fast it actually is I don't know, but it felt like it would be a good race against my Mach1.

Users who are viewing this thread