01 Cobra vs. 06 GTO

kezell

MW3-kezell17
Established Member
I am wondering how I will fare against a friend of mines 06 GTO 6psd. We are going to the track Friday. I am going to try and video tape the run.

My mods are:
O/R X, Bassani catback, solid axle w/ 4.30's, Mac lower control arms, WMS 95mm CAI, Steeda UD Pullies, steeda short throw shifter, aluminum DS, and Nitto drag radials.

He is stock for now.

What worries me is these cars come stock with 400hp.

My previous best time during the cooler months was a best of [email protected]
That was before the LCA, and pullies.

So who would you put you money on provided he hooks?

AJRED99

"Almost Stock"
Established Member
Those cars are dogs you'll get him NP with the mods you have and your gears! I think they run mid to high 13's or at least do over here. Heck I have even seen a cammed 05 GTO only run a 13.01@101

kezell

MW3-kezell17
Established Member
Good I was hoping I would beat him. I know on the street it would be different since those cars trap so well.

wma8706

Established Member
you'd probably rape him in the quarter with your mods and times in sig. It'll be much closer if the race is from a roll.

blacksnake305

Established Member
AJRED99 said:
Those cars are dogs you'll get him NP with the mods you have and your gears! I think they run mid to high 13's or at least do over here. Heck I have even seen a cammed 05 GTO only run a 13.01@101

I disagree. Those cars are not dogs. If any of our cobras were stock like the GTO, we would be eaten alive. So lets try to keep this in perspective. Now with that said, if your running 12.3x in the 1/4, you'll have no issues at all. Bone stock, Joe Lunchpail can run a stock GTO to low low 13's. A proper driver can bust out a 12.xx.

With that said, I'm NOT a fan of the GTO. Its pig heavy. But I do like the interior alot. A buddy has one and its pretty nice. If it lost 400lbs...it would be lethal...

cobra2798

I have no car
Established Member
I just posted this same question in the roadkill section. A friend of mine just bought a 05 auto GTO and he thinks I have no chance.We havnt run yet but plan on it at the track. We did a little 1stgear pull for about 100ft in some traffic and we were dead even, he is stock and I wasnt spraying.I think all motor ill take him by very little, on the spray ill rape him.

poneypower

They call me Shipwreck!
Established Member
A buddy of mine has a 05 GTO and he isn't the biggest fan of the car. He likes it and all but for what it has under the hood, he was expecting more. The weight problem is the biggest issue. Plus they sold so poorly at first and then they get the LS2 and that didn't matter much to consumers. A dog.....maybe not a dog, more like a dissapointment.

coreseller

Established Member
What Blacksnake said. You should take him with your mods but the GTO would run you over on a roll. They are just plain too heavy to get a decent launch. I've got an '01 Cobra Vert (X pipe and Catback) and an '04 GTO 6 speed (stock) for a daily driver, they're pretty close in a 1/4....Mark.

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
If you ran a 12.30 @ 111, you should win. Stock GTOs come nowhere close to that.

Even from a roll, I'll bet you can beat him. Trapping 111 tells me you've got quite a bit of power yourself.

Matt S

FLY USMC
Established Member
I raced an 04 with my bone stock 99 and steadily pulled on him even when approaching 100mph. I started in first at his back bumper and he ended up right at my back wheels with his front bumper. Nice guy we exchanged thumbs up and went our seperate ways. I wasn't expecting that at all, but I was proud of my car after that. His car was a manual and he slammed 2nd and 3rd hard (as did I) so there didn't seem to be any driver issues. Keep in mind that was the LS1 GTO. With your mods you'll smoke all, but a built GTO.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
I would agree, you shouldn't have an issue, especially if you're on slicks and he's on street tires, you'll be in second gear by the time he stops spinning! For some added insurance dump as much weight as you can like the jack, spare tire, anything in glove boxes or back seat, the passenger seat . . . lol!

Can't wait to see the vid, I always love that stunned look the ls1 guys have when they're readin' out tail lights!

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
blacksnake305 said:
Bone stock, Joe Lunchpail can run a stock GTO to low low 13's. A proper driver can bust out a 12.xx.

Ain't no way, not in a BONE stock GTO. My buddy ran his stock 05 GTO at the local 1/8th mile track and he can drive pretty good and got a best of 9.0 in the 1/8th.

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
and if he is new to the irs world his times will really suck.

i was at the track with one of those 350 hp ones and he was running 14.3's all night.
he was kinda upset. he said it was wheel hoping and all that good stuff.

his trap speeds were higher than mine but i had more than a sec on him.
J

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member
With a 12.30 at 111 you will beat a bone stock 06. I have buddies that can run 12.90s in a bone stock 06. You're car is modded for the 1/4 with 4.30s and a solid axle so it should be expected.

The other comments about these cars being dogs - I ran 11.80s before the cam so they can be fast. Need a driver worth a damn (expecially with a manual) and the right necessities to help with the shitty factory programming and heatsoak problems.

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
Doc GTO said:
With a 12.30 at 111 you will beat a bone stock 06. I have buddies that can run 12.90s in a bone stock 06. You're car is modded for the 1/4 with 4.30s and a solid axle so it should be expected.

The other comments about these cars being dogs - I ran 11.80s before the cam so they can be fast. Need a driver worth a damn (expecially with a manual) and the right necessities to help with the shitty factory programming and heatsoak problems.

Imagine if it had lost a couple hundred lbs. The same people that designed the new GT500 must have had a hand in the GTO...!

johnjib

Little '99 SVT
Established Member
GTO weighs 3777 lbs. They run 13.3 in the 1/4mile with a pro driver. They have 400 hp but that is at the crank. So about 360 or a little less you would guestimate. With a 12.3 1/4 there is no question whether you should be a stock GTO. I am glad they are going to discontinue those cars this September. They look like cavaliers.

Users who are viewing this thread