01 Cobra vs 03/04 differences

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
i honestly think the exterior quality of the 01s is better than the terminators... my 01s paint was very smooth hardly any texture... and i know it was never wet sanded or repainted, other than the parts i put on it... but my 04 and many others i have seen have a ton of orange peel on them. Its not a big deal just what i noticed

I've also noticed that when looking at my buddies 04. His has a little orange peel on the doors, and just doesn't seem to be as high quality as the 01.

Nitrous SSC

Established Member
I'm dropping an 03 engine in my 01 right now.

I'm noticing lots of little differences...

03 radiator is a hair thicker.
03 steering cooler is actually a cooler, not just a metal line.
03 IRS has little bit better bushings but a wrong size bolt in the frame. And it has carbon fiber clutch packs in the dif. Also it has a pinion cross brace, easliy put on an 01 IRS. Lastly The spline/halfshaft argument drives me nuts. Its identical, the 01's just taper down in the middle. We run 03/04 Half shafts on our 01 IRS, its plug and play. The 99' is what got shafted with skinny shafts and 28 spline. Thats it....

SCtobe

Established Member
I'm still on the fence whether or not I want to pick up this 01... it's only got 39,000kilometres on it and it's in fastastic stock untouched shape... guy wants 16,000 Canadian. I'm not sure because I wanted to build up my 2v since it's at 400 now before it blows up but if I switch to the 01, I still need H beam rods and decent pistons anyways...

thoughts...?

Mr.Soup

complete modular newb
Established Member
I'm still on the fence whether or not I want to pick up this 01... it's only got 39,000kilometres on it and it's in fastastic stock untouched shape... guy wants 16,000 Canadian. I'm not sure because I wanted to build up my 2v since it's at 400 now before it blows up but if I switch to the 01, I still need H beam rods and decent pistons anyways...

thoughts...?

its all about personal preference and what you want out of the car, i had the same opportunity to own either but i chose a white 01. With the 03/04, for a few grand (long-tubes, cat-pipe ((off-road or not)) cat-back, smaller upper pulley and a program you'll be looking at a 500HP daily driven monster....................for the same amount of cash thrown at an 01, you'll be looking at a 350hp car. 03/04 is a better starting block if you're looking for all out HP.
i wanted something i could drive 90 miles a day, still get good gas mileage, and still perform well without every kid in a ricebox pulling up next to me wanting a race. which unfortunately still happens because ricers cant tell the difference between my01 compared to an 03/04.
if i had the opportunity to do it over again, id eat the extra 5K the 04 i was looking at and just gotten it instead but all in all im happy with my 01.

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
Ok so someone smash this if it isn't true. Someone I talked to the other day said for 01 they made it so the diff was 28 spline to 31 spline on end. This statement made no sense from him and I disregarded.

I was under assumption that 01 Cobra's are 31 spline. I could go grab and 03/04 Cobra halfshaft and plug and play into my 01 Cobra.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread