01 Cobra vs 03/04 differences

SCtobe

Established Member
I've got a chance to pick up an absolutely mint 01 Cobra... and I intend on putting a KB on it.

But before I proceed i'm looking to find out the differences aside from the stock Eaton blower between the 01 Cobra / Terminators... Are the stock internals the same? What are the 01 rated for? What setup's are you guys running and what power are you making?:read:

feed back is appreciated!!!

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
Besides the obvious body differences I believe the lower end of a terminator is quite a bit different, crank, rods, pistons, etc..... I think the 01 Cobra is the same as an 03/04 Mach 1.

SUPERSEXY32V

people know me
Established Member
99-01 cobras DO NOT have forged rods or pistons while the 03/04 Cobras do. 01 cobras have a "weaker" IRS with 28 spline diff while 03/04's have a 31 spline. 03/04 Machs share the SAME heads and cams as 03/04 Cobras. All the Machs came with a solid axle. There are MANY more differences to list.

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
99-01 cobras DO NOT have forged rods or pistons while the 03/04 Cobras do. 01 cobras have a "weaker" IRS with 28 spline diff while 03/04's have a 31 spline. 03/04 Machs share the SAME heads and cams as 03/04 Cobras. All the Machs came with a solid axle. There are MANY more differences to list.

99 Cobras have 28 Splines. the 2001 DID get 31 spline axles

OP, please read the stickies and all at the top.

SCtobe

Established Member
The car im looking @ has 31 spile...and correct me if i'm wrong but if the axles are 31 spline so is the diff..... lol

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
yes but the 01's have a 28 spline diff.

That would be a square peg in a round hole dude :poke:

The car im looking @ has 31 spile...and correct me if i'm wrong but if the axles are 31 spline so is the diff..... lol

Yes, you are correct. If this is going to be a driver, get the 03. The car will be down alot to rebuild the shortblock and then put on the blower. But, if you have more time than money, get the 01. It will be cheaper to build than to buy an 03. The 03 also has a T-56 6 speed with an aluminum flywheel while the 01 has a 3650 5 speed and steel flywheel. Plus, the IRS has a beefier crossmember under the diff on the 03. The 03 has Bilstein shocks/struts. Those are the main mechanical differences.

VtekII

Established Member
i honestly think the exterior quality of the 01s is better than the terminators... my 01s paint was very smooth hardly any texture... and i know it was never wet sanded or repainted, other than the parts i put on it... but my 04 and many others i have seen have a ton of orange peel on them. Its not a big deal just what i noticed

SCtobe

Established Member
sorry didn't realize until a minute ago what OP meant (original poster) I assume and had no idea wtf a sticky was lol. Tons of info in there though I appreciate it.

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
i honestly think the exterior quality of the 01s is better than the terminators... my 01s paint was very smooth hardly any texture... and i know it was never wet sanded or repainted, other than the parts i put on it... but my 04 and many others i have seen have a ton of orange peel on them. Its not a big deal just what i noticed

Quality Control was at an elevated level for the 01 model year Cobra do to some mistakes on the 99. I notice the same with the paint on my silver 01. Super smooth hardly any orange peel and 130,000miles on it.

VtekII

Established Member
Quality Control was at an elevated level for the 01 model year Cobra do to some mistakes on the 99. I notice the same with the paint on my silver 01. Super smooth hardly any orange peel and 130,000miles on it.

apparently by 04 as long as it had a lil paint on her it was good to go. oh well good thing i can paint!

bad01cobra

Established Member

the 01 cobra has the 31 spline rear

Users who are viewing this thread