01 COBRA RUNNING RICH DYNO PROBLEMS STILL THERE!! HELP!

Mach0ne351

Established Member
hey all
ok, back in November 23, 2002 i got my cobra dynoed. all i had was a bassani xpipe with cats and a densecharger CAI, and i was using Bosch Platinum +4 sparkplugs...now i have the bassani catback to all that, and switched out the bosch plugs for the stock replacement of motorcraft plugs (tech recommendation)

dynoed at 269.1rwhp and 273rwtq. BAD! :evil: i was expecting closter too 285-290rwhp.

DYNO SHEET

the tech dude said that it was my sparkplugs...and switch them out and go with the stock replacement, which is the motorcraft plugs. i had a smell when i gunned it then....and i STILL HAVE IT! whats wrong?!?!! :roll: :?: how do i fix this problem????? do i get a chip or what? i want gears....do i jsut wait until i get those to get a chip??? please HELP! im losing about 10-15rwhp from this crap! thanks! i need all ur help!

-marek

SLOWBRA

Established Member
It's your A/F ratio... No way to really mess with it unless you plan on getting a Chip..

A/F for optimum power for a NA motor should be at LEAST 12.8.. I deal is 12.8 - 13.2

Your graph is showing it to be around 11.9 - 12.0 at WOT which will not give you HP.

I would say that you need to get it dyno-tuned and you will be at the 300 RWHP mark easy.

As to why it's like that, I don't know.. My 01 had a similar graph when it was Stock and with similar mods to you my A/F wasn't much better until I got a TwEECer and tuned it myself. Now it's happy :)

Shawn

Last edited:

Mach0ne351

Established Member
hmmm ok...just like everyone else....sounds like getting a custom dynotune+chip is in order. what is the best chips these days? ive heard that FordChip is good. any thoughts?? thanx...

-marek

SLOWBRA

Established Member
I got a TwEECer and did it myself...

Try JMS Chip.

But I think a Dyno-Tune is the best tune.. not a mail order.. JMS is really good with mail order though!

Shawn

Mach0ne351

Established Member
so exactly.....what is a dyno-tune? what do they do? do they modify the current chip the car has or what? i havent really looked into it at all....all i know is...i want to fix my problem. thanx everyone...this really means a lot ;)

-marek

SLOWBRA

Established Member
dyno-tune is when someone burns a chip for you while your car is on the dyno.. This is the best way to get your car tuned on the first shot vs. mailing a chip and sending it back if it's not right.

But, being your currect dyno-graph, many mail order chip guys will use the graph and make a chip for ya!

shadow

got snake ?
Established Member
Dyno tune is where they custom burn a chip for your car and tune it to perfectly match your mods. They can do this on the dyno and it is better then just sending off for a chip, as every engine will react a little differently. There are several places down here in So-Cal that do custom chips/dyno tune. I don't know about the Bay Area though.
If your comming down for the FFF car show at the end of next month, and can come down a few days early or stay a couple of extra days, I can give you some info on tuners down here. I'm going to get mine done - after tax time, got to write a couple of large checks first :(

MG01SVT

citius, fortius
Established Member
Hey before you do all the Dyno tune stuff. Try cleaning you MAF first. I have been reading quite a few posts lately about individuals whose cars were not performing to their standards so they cleaned the MAF and were quite pleased with their results. Bottomline it costs next to nothing and will only take a few minutes. Use electrical contact cleaner. Spray it on the platinum wires (be gentle) many use a Q-tip as well, but that seemed risky to me.

Anyway the oil from those damn K&Ns can effect the functionality of the MAF. So cleaning is a necessary evil.

I've cleaned mine as well, but noticed no difference. Then again I don't own a K&N now and probably never will again. I just wanted to learn how to do it. It may or may not fix your problem, but I always try the cheapest route first.

Good luck

A

Last edited:

griffined

SVT driver
Marek,

Your dyno run is very similar to my stock 01's on that same dyno, except mine didn't go pig rich until 6250 RPM. My totally stock car's numbers is in my sig.

Talk to Byron at Racesystems.com about doing a custom dyno tune using the Autologic chips he burns. He recently worked on Mark's yellow 01. He posts on the 03 forum since he also has one of those too. snk8 something is his handle. Good luck,

Ed

wrenchhead46

Established Member
I agree with everyone that a chip is a great idea, however Hyland motorsports just recently released their "MAFterburner" which gives you full control of your A/F ratio through your laptop computer, costs about the same as a custom chip, but you can change it whenever you may need to, rather than getting your chip reburned. 1
2.0:1 really isnt that rich either, ideal power is anywhere between 12 and 13 to 1, although leaning it out to the higher side of 12 may give you a little more power(10-15 hp, and equal amount of torque possible i would guess), richer is always the safer way to go, especially for what in the grand scheme of things are really pretty small power gains!:thumbsup:

Mach0ne351

Established Member
you guys all rock! lol ok...which chip should i get my custom dynotune on???

FordChip?
Autologic?
Diablo Sport?
JMS?

i want this done ASAP! i really want that power i want.....i should be around 300rwhp...and its pissing me off that im not there. my tax return is ALL going toward this, PLUS my gears.

ed...does Apex do custom dynotunes? should i trust them? lol THANKS EVERYONE!

i love svtperformance.com <mumbles to self> haha

-marek

SLOWBRA

Established Member
Listen to Shadow since he is in your area, you need someone to help..

I don't know about FordChips so I can't say..

Autologic is the best bet, I think this is what JMS uses.. I still think you should tune it on the Dyno.. Just my 2 cents..

Mach0ne351

Established Member
hey all
ok heres the deal i got. the locate mustang performance shop (apex motorsports) will dynotune my cobra. $309 for the chip (autologic chip) and $175/hr on dyno/install. they said it surely wont take more then 1hr.

VenomousSVT - no, i did not port the stock MAF. its the same since the day i got it. why u ask?

id like to thank everyone for their help on this subject. thank you all, and i really appreciate all the help everyone is giving me. you guys ROCK!! lol

-marek

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
Hey Marek the reason I asked was because I am having the same prob and I was just ruling out situations. I proted my stock MAF and someone suggested that it may be the prob. But your dynosheet looks like mine so if you didnt port your then that wasnt my prob either. I am also gonna have to try a chip i think. Wanted to go with tweecer but Shawn said they havent got the codes to cut off theknock sensor yet. So thats out as of now. If I could turn off my knock with tweecer then i would order it today!

Travis

PLEASE keep us posted as well as I. With 2 of us fighting the same proiblem we are bound to figure it out. Besides, ford said today that if it isnt getting a check engine light then they cant do anything.:bash:

Mach0ne351

Established Member
ya.....u and i will fight this to the very end brother lol.....go big or go home. btw, what sparkplugs are u running? if you are using the stock plugs, double check the part# of them. i heard from apex motorsports that Ford revised the stock plug. the first part# they sent the 01 cobras in where the wrong plug. ill let u know what the correct part# for the plugs are. i have them in my voice mail that apex told me. either way, ill be getting the chip from them.....custom dynotune with the autologic chip...total cost im looking at is $524 :( oh well! if it fixes my problem itll be worth every cent :) ill let everyone know what happens....btw..FORD SUCKS with warrenty work...haha if i took in my car, with the dyno sheet, all theyll probably say is "dont take the car upto redline, and you wont have that problem." getting extended warrenty is worthless in my opinion, thats why i never got it.

-marek

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
I do have the stock plugs and have never checked them...I will do that tomorrow. If you get that part number that would be great.

Thanks

Travis

Mach0ne351

Established Member
hey bud
ok got it....haha i think ive resolved the issue....i cant wait to try it.

the motorcraft plugs that i hve in have this part# : AWSF 32E

that is the WRONG plug that ford gave me, and they put them into all the 01 cobras. i had them when i got the 01, then switched out to bosch platinum +4, then ordered new motorcraft plugs from ford. they gave me the same ones as when i first got the cobra. here is the CORRECT part# that Bill @ Apex gave me...this might help us brother....

Correct plugs is Motorcraft Sparkplugs part# AGSF 32C im gonna go order them today or tomorrow. ill let u know if it works...but no matter what....ill be using those instead of my current plugs.

-marek

Users who are viewing this thread