• 13k-15k

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 15k+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

svtsnake

Established Member
Brian................. I dont know what you have heard....... but here is what really happened............... This is my '96 Edie Bauer Exploder
I think I got that one beat. I was driving a 2000 Chevy Malibu. She was in my lane when I came around a corner.:bash: Guess how my Mom got a 2001 Tahoe, and I got a 2001 Cobra Vert.:r:

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
About 1800 miles, had it for about 3 1/2 weeks, not a problem one. And I DO save it for only the worthy competitors, with the occasional cocky-ass integra owner.

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Originally posted by johnboy00
No problems, but it's only been 2.5 days and ~70 miles. :rolling:

LOL@ johnny boy jusst wait till we get you to go to one of our events and you have to put the car to the test!!

-Zach

Frank

Established Member
My pinger is back in the shop again. There is supposed to be a west coast regional service guy looking at it today. There are so many issues with the car now that I had to write a full page to give to the service writer. Here is the writeup. I am interested if anyone else is noticing any of the issues besides the dreaded ping.

Frank 2001 Zinc Yellow Cobra Coupe
Lic. STPDFST
Date: 10/17/01

Mechanical Issues with car:

These issues are best recreated when car is at full operating temp and car has been driven about 25 miles at freeway speeds.

1) Light thumping noise can be heard from dashboard on driver’s side. Sound will go away when clutch is depressed about a 1/4 of an inch. (Can be heard most of the time.)

2) Loud abnormal fan noise can be heard from the dash which will sometimes go away when car is put in 1st gear from a stop and beginning to accelerate. The noise will go away for a couple seconds when the car is shut off then it will make a loud groan like when some fan with a bad motor is about to die. (Can be heard a lot of the time and happens when the fan is off)

3) When turning slowly (at less than 5 MPH) and depressing the clutch, grinding/metal rubbing noises come from the transmission area under the car. (Can be heard almost all the time)

4) When at a stopsign/stoplight and car is in neutral, I depress the clutch and move the shifter forward into first gear. There is a loud thump noise coming from the drive train when the shifter is being moved foward. (intermittent and does not happen twice in a row without the clutch being released and depressed.)

5) When turning slowly/coasting (less than 5 MPH) and sharply to the right (clutch is in or out and car is in neutral) there is a very loud clanking/rattling metal to metal noise coming from the drive train. (intermittent)

6) Engine will ping/detonate when accelerating at wide open throttle in 2nd or 3rd gear at about 3 - 5k RPMs. ENGINE NEEDS TO BE AT FULL OPERATING TEMP. Usually happens more often when going up an incline where there is a bigger load on the engine. (intermittent but is getting worse by the week. I am worried that some substantial engine damage may already be done since it’s been pinging now for a few thousand miles. I think I will need an extended warranty to offset engine replacement costs later.)

DYNO results show sharp drops in HP and TRQ numbers at 5k RPMs. Max output was 253 RWHP. Estimating 15% drive line loss the engine should make 271 RWHP.

Cosmetic/Bodywork issues with the car:

1) Passenger side headlamp gets condensation inside when I wash the car in sunlight. Must have a leak somewhere.

2) Rear bumper and some areas of the roof have reddish specs/dirt in the paint from the factory. You can actually feel the bumps in the paint in those areas like there is dirt/debris embedded in the paint.

------------------
Yellow 2001 Cobra Coupe #1251 of 3867
Miserable Dyno run.
www.geocities.com/fdye32/Dynorun

svtsnake

Established Member
Originally posted by johnboy00

Wow. That's pretty bad. I hope neither you nor your mom were hurt too badly.
It was just my moms car, she wasnt with me. I was alone in the car. The police and other rescuers said that if anyone was with me, they would have been killed for sure. As it was, i had a hole punched in my skull :bash: and the bone was pressing on my brain and causing it to swell, so they did surgery and fixed it, but now i have 2 little plates in my head. I bought my mom an 01 tahoe, and myself an 01 cobra vert. Both were purchased thanks to the lady's insurance company, and their settlement. :rev:

Last edited:

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Frank, 253 RWHP is less than any '99 pre-fix that i ever heard of or read about. Sounds like they royally screwed up the fuel mapping and tranny.

Frank

Established Member
Originally posted by quick01snake
Frank, 253 RWHP is less than any '99 pre-fix that i ever heard of or read about. Sounds like they royally screwed up the fuel mapping and tranny.

Quick01snake, I had my car on the DYNO last week when it was not up to operating temp yet and it put down 275 RWHP in 85 degree weather. The car is strong when it's not fully warmed up. It just pings really bad after it gets warmed up and the computer pulls timing to try to stop the detonation. It's been in the shop 3 times now. Hopefully they can fix.

- Frank

sssSnake 01

Established Member
Let me start by saying I have wanted a Cobra for a long time. I finally bought one about 7 months ago. These are complaints but mostly fall in the category of annoyances.

These are the noises and other strange things I have experienced at 10,500 miles.

I too have pinging. Mine is very minor and has not gotten any worse. It has been present since new. I have added octane booster to 93 Octane gas and it is still detectable. @ 9.85 to 1 you should be able to run 93 Octane with no detonation.

I have noticed since the car was new that the tranny makes all kinds of strange noises. Such as:

It has a sort of gravelly (more like a bad throughout bearing) sound and seems rough. I know this is not from any sort of abuse since it has been there since new.

My cobra also has developed an almost cricket like sound that goes away when the clutch is depressed. It litterally chirps.

I also have noted the thump when first shifting into gear in prep for a green light.

The tranny noises I never really looked into because I have never had a high performance V8 with a standard transmission. I have always dismissed these noises as normal for a high performance transmission.

I will say this, without really knowing much about it I have driven other cars with silky smooth transmissions and drive lines. I have never been impressed with the shifter, transmission and clutch arrangement on the 01 cobra. I have had cheap cars with better drivetrains.

Most noises and refinement problems fall into the bad manners category and have not caused me any real problems. It is just unnerving to hear strange reports from your car. Makes you wonder if the next time you get on it if something is going to let go.

I drive moderately most of the time with occasional expeditions into the higher RPMs. I don't feel I have done anything that would endanger the car.

If you are totally satisfied great, if you love your car but are concerned and want to know if others feel the same way the answer is yes.

Tell me if you secretly are wondering what the #@%& is going on.

Last edited:

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Originally posted by Frank

5) When turning slowly/coasting (less than 5 MPH) and sharply to the right (clutch is in or out and car is in neutral) there is a very loud clanking/rattling metal to metal noise coming from the drive train. (intermittent)
------------------
Yellow 2001 Cobra Coupe #1251 of 3867
Miserable Dyno run.
www.geocities.com/fdye32/Dynorun

-I used to get that a lot before I started putting miles on my Cobra. Now, at about 7600 miles, I don't have the "rattle/clanking" at slow speed turns (whether I'm in or out of gear.) Maybe with more miles, this noise will go away...
-I was told that if you execute the "figure 8" maneuver in a parking lot at slow speed, it could help "settle" the rear differential/gear chatter that could be heard. (?)I never tried that. Not sure if there's any truth to it...

Snake Eyez

Established Member
2) Rear bumper and some areas of the roof have reddish specs/dirt in the paint from the factory. You can actually feel the bumps in the paint in those areas like there is dirt/debris embedded in the paint.

I had the same problems with my White 2000 Camaro SS. These spots are probably rail dust. You can get rid of these by using a claybar on your car such as the Zaino Z-18 Claybar. It works wonders. http://www.zainobros.com/files/info.htm#anchor158090

52merc

Established Member
7,300 miles so far. I've had the following problems: one power steering pump that had a shaft seal leak; fix to the rear window to stop it from squeeking (minor but it deove me crazy). I think I got a bad 1-2 shifter fork since I have the grinding 1-2 shift. Small cracks in the paint on the hood, dealer is going to fix on warrantee. These are going to be fixed next week.

Other than that, it goes like stink.

Oh, I have one other problem. I keep getting this black powdery stuff of the rear bumper cover. Does anyone know what this is?

Maine01Cobra

Established Member
Driver Window

I have had the car since June. Driven only on good days. First time I had to put up the drivers window -- It didn't work. Dealer replaced motor. Just tried to raise the window again - didn't work again.
Driver window - 2 Strikes.

fangstang

Established Member
I just want to let everyone know that since I got my car back from the dealer 2-1/2 weeks ago, I've put 700 miles on the new set up and its runnin great! I thought there would be a problem gettin use to the lighter clutch, but after a while it stiffened back up like the old set up and I 'm happy about that!:rolling:

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by 52merc
Oh, I have one other problem. I keep getting this black powdery stuff of the rear bumper cover. Does anyone know what this is?

you mean right behind the rear wheels? i have had something to that effect also. not a clue what it is.

"I have had the car since June. Driven only on good days. First time I had to put up the drivers window -- It didn't work. Dealer replaced motor. Just tried to raise the window again - didn't work again.
Driver window - 2 Strikes"

Could be dealer error, make sure they check the grounds before they hand it back to you. a bad ground will fry a motor every time. that what happened with the starter in my 99....twice.

Users who are viewing this thread