01 Cobra Block

mikeshimek

Boost Hunter
Established Member
was wondering if the an 01 cobra block is a good block to use for an aluminum swap into a terminator? i think it would be a teksid block? if so what would be a resonable used price to pay for one? thanks

mikeshimek

Boost Hunter
Established Member
so most likely the 01 block would be a WAP block? there is a local one for sale for 400 and i was just wondering if it was a teksid and a good buy? the "good" teksid blocks came out of mark 8's??

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Yes. But I believe the 99-01 Teksid blocks were not the same as 96-98 Teksids. Rumor is, in an effort to save weight, they increased the ribbing and removed the bulk amount of Aluminum in the block. Even with the extra ribbing, they were subsequently not as strong.
I'm not sure about this? Can anyone else back this info up that the 96-98's have a stronger block than the 99-01?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
so most likely the 01 block would be a WAP block? there is a local one for sale for 400 and i was just wondering if it was a teksid and a good buy? the "good" teksid blocks came out of mark 8's??

You can probably dig around and find a Teksid block for that or even less.

cobracide

Established Member
Yes. But I believe the 99-01 Teksid blocks were not the same as 96-98 Teksids. Rumor is, in an effort to save weight, they increased the ribbing and removed the bulk amount of Aluminum in the block. Even with the extra ribbing, they were subsequently not as strong.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-my-early-01-has-teksid-block-see-pics-6.html

I got a leftover teksid from the shortened '99 run. The old water pump was on it as well (Know this from the steeda pulley purchase). To my knowledge, there is no difference in any teksid blocks. I'm not sure why you think there are two different teksid blocks.. The WAP block is weaker than the teksid, no doubt.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
I got a leftover teksid from the shortened '99 run. The old water pump was on it as well (Know this from the steeda pulley purchase). To my knowledge, there is no difference in any teksid blocks. I'm not sure why you think there are two different teksid blocks.. The WAP block is weaker than the teksid, no doubt.

To my knowledge, there could be a hundred different Teksids, or there could be one. I just have seen some indications of different ones, which is why I said rumor. Either way, there are plenty of other ways to get a perfectly good, strong, reliable, and capable block beside through a Teksid. It's not a waste to look for one, but don't loose sleep over it.

cobracide

Established Member
There are two part numbers, hence two teksid castings used in the cobra -

‘96-‘98 Cobra aluminum block as a basis for drag-race engines of up to 1500 hp. This block, part number F6LZ-6010-AB, was also used in the ‘93-‘98 Lincoln Mark 8.

'99 Cobra block is XR3Z-6010-CA - changed main cap detail, knock sensor hole diameter, other slight internal changes.

mikeshimek

Boost Hunter
Established Member
ive read people talking about the "current cast in cleveland." is this an aluminum block or cast iron? and which vehicles did they come in? also, why didnt SVT put the 96-98 cobra motor in the terminator if hte block is so strong?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
ive read people talking about the "current cast in cleveland." is this an aluminum block or cast iron? and which vehicles did they come in? also, why didnt SVT put the 96-98 cobra motor in the terminator if hte block is so strong?

Ford no longer had an agreement with Teksid for one reason or another. The big reason was that Ford began development of it's own block, the WAP block for Windsor Assembly Plant. I am sure this saved Ford money, and the block was more than strong enough for the applications that it was intended for.

-Jeff

cobracide

Established Member
Teskid vs. Iron. Two words - durability and flexability. Iron is more durable. Less flex in iron as well. More stable. The aluminum just couldn't take it.

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Teskid vs. Iron. Two words - durability and flexability. Iron is more durable. Less flex in iron as well. More stable. The aluminum just couldn't take it.

WAP vs Iron would make your statement more correct, plus factoring in cost. If Ford still had the Teksid under it's belt when the Terminator came to town, then the Teksid would probably have been under the hood.

-Jeff

cobracide

Established Member
WAP vs Iron would make your statement more correct, plus factoring in cost. If Ford still had the Teksid under it's belt when the Terminator came to town, then the Teksid would probably have been under the hood.

-Jeff

Yeah, that's more along the lines I was thinking... *bungled* :)

Users who are viewing this thread