'01 Bullitt 4v 5.3 Big Bore Stroker/T56 Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
badass bullit! congrats! you ever go up to the pike or mustangs unlimited shows? I'm from CT hope to see your car out sometime in person!

Last edited:

ninety5fiveoh

DHG FTW!
Established Member
702! Badass man! Congrats!

Thanks Sean! Yea it finally came together!

badass bullit! congrats! you ever go up to the pike or mustangs unlimited shows? I'm from CT hope to see your car out sometime in person!

Thanks man! Yea I've been up there once or twice, its kind of a hike for me being down in Fairfield. I'd like to possibly make the Mustangs Unlimited show in September!

wilhb

Established Member
That's a badass build man! The attention to detail is outstanding.

ninety5fiveoh

DHG FTW!
Established Member
sooooooo lets get some driving videos and pulls.... :burnout:

Haha trust me man I wish! The car has been sitting in the garage for 2 weeks with a leaking PS line that I haven't had a chance to repair yet. I've been working 70 hour weeks the last 2 weeks so the car is on the back burner. Gotta get it fixed up for boost weather though!

ninety5fiveoh

DHG FTW!
Established Member
Long overdue UPDATE!

Since I got the car running last summer, I haven't done a whole lot except for getting the bodywork finished. I brought the car to my buddy Bobby at Ink'd Paint and Performance for some repairs, and to spray my new hood.

Since I've owned the car, it's had a large dent in the flare on the pass side quarterpanel that I never got around to fixing. Bobby repaired that dent and blended the quarter, stripped my front bumper and resprayed it, fixed a dent on the front fender and blended it, painted both sides of my new hood, and re-cleared the entire front end. The results speak for themselves...Bobby's quality of work and attention to detail is incredible. I have probably 100 pics of the process but here's the few I have on my phone:

IMG_6016_zps7qzahtzd.jpg

IMG_6018_zpsj0b9smfp.jpg

IMG_6017_zpsx4j0laas.jpg

IMG_6019_zpspgrsg0mj.jpg

And how the car sits today:

OAZV1227_zpsweutxpdh.jpg

Recon

Established Member
UPDATE:

I had the car up to Performance Dyno this weekend for Pete to work his magic. Very happy with the results, the car made 702/684 at 16.5psi on 93 pump. Not too bad for a street car built in a one car garage!

I'll let the video do the talking!

[video=youtube;e4q8J-wdA7E][/video]

Sometime during the week I'll put the inner fenders back in and put the bumper on and I can drive it!

I saw your Bullitt on YouTube. Thing is wicked. Enjoy it.

Sent from somewhere in the Twilight Zone.

ninety5fiveoh

DHG FTW!
Established Member
My next project on the car is to complete a custom setup to adapt Gen. 2 CTS-V 6-piston Brembo calipers to work in a vertical mount fashion. This has been an undertaking to say the least...

I purchased the calipers on Amazon, got a case of beer, and went to work in my basement all winter. As you can see, the calipers are MASSIVE.

IMG_5635_zpsnq8s9iyp.jpg

I used a set of Stoptech GT500 14" rotors for mockup, and I will run these same rotors on the car once this is complete (hopefully this weekend).

IMG_5639_zpsfzox1wyn.jpg

In order to make these calipers work, mounted vertically, and not have to modify the caliper, I put off an inch of the spindle where the lower caliper bracket bolts on. This would allow me to move the new caliper closer to the spindle and mount it vertically. Then I started measuring. And measuring. And measuring.

IMG_5678_zpseeuc5kko.jpg

IMG_5686_zpsquy61jta.jpg

Once I had all the measurements, I drew up the brackets in Solidworks, and machined a few iterations of them in tooling board until I got the dimensions perfect.

IMG_5734_zpsdljqsjni.jpg

As you can see in the photo, the new mounting hole is through the bracket where the green tape is.

IMG_5696_zpsjgbubfm1.jpg

I got a set of powdercoated spindles from my buddy Justin (jmccormick), as well as a new set of hubs, and Moroso extended studs because I will need to use a small spacer in front to make the Bullitt wheels clear the calipers.

IMG_5744_zpshmcrb3fe.jpg

This shows everything mocked up on my mockup spindle with all the holes tapped, shims in place, and ready to be machined in metal.

While I waited for the brackets to be machined, I started working on painting the calipers.

IMG_5846_zpsexv73dh4.jpg

IMG_5851_zpsahlfkvq7.jpg

And I had to throw the V back on there...

IMG_5875_zpseuudwcys.jpg

While in the process of painting the calipers, my brackets came in from Xometry. These are 7075 aluminum, fully cnc machined, tapped holes, etc. Really nice parts, very happy with the quality and customer service from Xometry. Sucks I couldn't machine them myself, but our machine isn't really set up for metal.

IMG_5857_zpsldxlyk5j.jpg

IMG_5858_zps4xdczdcd.jpg

IMG_5859_zpsacuv1g9m.jpg

Then I ran into the biggest snag of the project. Idiot me spent all winter in my basement working on these brakes, and never ventured out to the frigid garage to mock them up on the car. Big mistake. When bolted to the spindle, I couldnt even slide the spindle onto the balljoint on the a-arm because the lower ear on the bracket was contacting it. FU%&@*$^#KKK!

IMG_5894_zpss8cxqn7y.jpg

After a few weeks of cursing, research, and more cursing, I sent my spindle and bracket out to my buddy Justin again to see if they would fit on a tubular control arm. Figuring there is less mass around the balljoint, MAYBE it would work. Justin mocked them up, and if I machine about 1/8" off the side of the bracket, it will fit and turn perfectly!

So I hopped on Craigslist and found a set of almost new MM a-arms for a great deal.

IMG_5994_zps6nuzzsu7.jpg

That is where the car currently sits. I have everything I now need to put it all back together, and I will be machining the edge of the brackets on my buddy's mill this weekend and hopefully slap it all in the car.

RichM1983

Established Member
Thats awesome. You may have created a marketable idea. Wouldn't get rich but I think some people would be interested.

Eatonualive281

Established Member
Wow man! thats F'n awesome! GREAT build and GREAT R&D on those brakes! I cant wait to see the finished product.

10fore

Established Member
Absolutely beautiful car, and fine attention to detail! It almost makes it hard for me to look at my Bullitt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread