'01 Bullitt 4v 5.3 Big Bore Stroker/T56 Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninety5fiveoh

DHG FTW!
Established Member
'01 Bullitt 4v 5.3 Big Bore Stroker/T56 Build Thread * UPDATE - PARTS ARRIVE!*

I finally decided I need to make a build thread for this car, so here goes. I purchased the car 7 years ago from my father's good friend with 11,800 miles on it, bone stock with nothing but a Magnaflow catback and catted x-pipe on it. Over the last 7 years, I have transformed the car into exactly how I wanted it visually, and modified it quite a bit. Here is the current setup:

- Intercooled Paxton Novi 2000, 3.25" pulley @ 11lbs
- custom aluminum 3" intercooler piping, all bungs welded in, painted DHG
- CX Racing 24x12x3 intercooler
- VMP HPX slot style MAF
- 39lb 03-04 Cobra injectors
- Aviator Pump
- 20 amp KB BAP
- Borla Stingers, Bassani catted x-pipe
- Built IRS (MM urethane bushings, FRPP 4.10 gears, solid shims, FRPP diff cover
- MM front coilovers, Intrax rear coil springs
- Bilstein HD's all around
- 18" Bullitt reps, 265/315 Toyo R888's
- '01 Cobra Bumper, Grill Delete, shaved Bullitt Side skirts, @mooch29 side splitters, '03 Cobra mirrors, '01 Cobra tails

Etc, etc...the list goes on forever!

Here's how the car currently sits:

21781219281_a51c0af635_h.jpg

21150740713_0bfbbcacfd_h.jpg

18214028228_98beb95457_h.jpg

14735176378_de6ba0ddb4_h.jpg

14109778775_280c74a30e_h.jpg

Now the fun begins. 2 weeks ago, I picked up a wrecked 2003 Redfire Cobra Convertible on the North Shore of Massachusetts to use as a donor car for a complete drivetrain swap into my Bullitt. The car has been nicely modded and the motor only has 2k miles on it since it was built. Here's the rundown:

- Boss block based MMR 5.3 stroker
- Ported 9 thread heads
- Comp Stage 2 custom grind blower cams
- Kellog stroker crank
- Manley -28cc forged pistons - 8.5:1 compression
- Manley/MMR 4340 forged h-beam rods
- Total Seal rings
- Clevite bearings
- MMR street/race oil pump
- Moroso 8qt oil pan
- Kooks 1-3/4" primary, 3" collector headers
- Kooks 3" catted x-pipe
- Bassani 2.5" catback (to be replaced with 3")
- stock t56 with Liberty 26 spline input shaft
- Spec Aluminum flywheel
- Spec Stage 3+ clutch
- 80lb injectors
- Ford GT pumps
- black306 modified FPDM
- modified stock hat and -8 feed line

The plan is to put a VMP TVS on the car in the spring once the swap has been completed.

So here's where we begin. I will be swapping the motor, trans, exhaust, every wiring harness, gas tank and fuel system into the Bullitt, and selling everything else. I began tearing into the car the night I brought it home, here's some pics from when I picked the car up, and initial teardown:

C581FCDA-179C-46B1-8921-B4306B0EA0DE_zpswmamrfeg.jpg

B9B1B0F6-8B07-4766-A50A-8ADD08AB557B_zpsfsvmbuic.jpg

F715D9FF-6018-44FB-8ABB-CB2C4E33D3ED_zpshqfvlgbc.jpg

4874C7EE-F108-4A44-8E05-0217AA93BC85_zpstifxlckn.jpg

85A2BDD8-9FF3-4F3F-A310-4F3AC6F6B5F5_zpsa8moqehs.jpg

D0D359F9-DE89-4D5E-A42B-B8A5A19D512D_zpsjvllskat.jpg

F3BD158D-3F13-4232-A3C3-462860A4F241_zpssmo6pujr.jpg

Aside from un-bolting the AC compressor, and un-doing the clutch cable from the clutch fork, the motor and trans are ready to pull this weekend. The dash and wiring are out, main harness is almost completely out, and the front suspension is almost completely apart.

The mad dash to get the gutted shell out of the garage before the snow flies continues. Stay tuned for updates, thanks for following!

Last edited:

Blk91stang

Established Member
Premium Member
Yes!!! I love it. Is this happening in NJ or CT? Keep up the good work and glad to see you're still involved in it. I've been slacking.. :whine:

Extremite

Established Member
Damn. Your Bullitt might be the best looking example I've ever seen of one. That new motor sounds like a beast! Why not keep the Paxton for it?

ninety5fiveoh

DHG FTW!
Established Member
Very nice! That vert didn't look to bad. How much did you nab that for?

Thanks! Sorry, I don't care to disclose the amount publicly.

Yes!!! I love it. Is this happening in NJ or CT? Keep up the good work and glad to see you're still involved in it. I've been slacking.. :whine:

Thanks Matt! It's all going down in my little one car garage in CT. Lots of shuffling around but well worth the extra effort. Hope all is well with you!

<<<<<<<Donor car find credit right here baby. Good luck Mike

Thanks a million homie, MAJOR cred to the epic find! I still owe you a few spackle buckets of beer hahah!

Damn. Your Bullitt might be the best looking example I've ever seen of one. That new motor sounds like a beast! Why not keep the Paxton for it?

Thanks man! I love the Paxton setup, just looking for something different and more torquey. The Paxton pulls like a freight train above 3500 rpm, but doesn't have the balls down low that a PD blower will have.

ninety5fiveoh

DHG FTW!
Established Member
probably unibody damage and airbags totaled it. and love that bullitt man! thing is sick that is for sure and only gonna get sicker!!

Yea, the rad support is smashed, and the front unibody frame rails are bent an inch or 2 towards the passenger side. Airbags didn't deploy, it probably could have been fixed but the previous owner decided to cut his losses.

T's03GT

#Team5bro
Established Member
Love the car now, love it even more with what you're doing with it. I am looking forward to seeing more progress pics on Instagram as well as here! Good luck man, can't wait to see it done.

Geno-04

Established Member
You had a very nice car and set up to start.....it is gonna be bad ass once it's done! Keep us posted with pics and updates.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
it probably could have been fixed but the previous owner decided to cut his losses.

Seems odd. Just had a built motor done and all the other parts in it and decides to let it go. Lost a lot of money.

I think your 2v engine is done proper and looks awesome, wouldn't have changed anything. Plenty of power to have fun with.

ninety5fiveoh

DHG FTW!
Established Member
Thanks everyone for the kind words!

Seems odd. Just had a built motor done and all the other parts in it and decides to let it go. Lost a lot of money.

I think your 2v engine is done proper and looks awesome, wouldn't have changed anything. Plenty of power to have fun with.

Yea, from what I understand he slid off the road on some sand and went down a ravine. No other cars were involved, and the airbags didn't deploy. The car still has a clean title. He didn't want to pay to have all the frame damage repaired, and he wants a new gt500 anyway. Worked out perfect for me!

I love the 2v Paxton setup, I just want something different. The power doesn't phase me anymore, I've had the same setup for over 3 years now. This was the right move for me, and after I sell everything off, I'll end up with a free drivetrain and a few extra bucks in my pocket to get the car running:rolling:

Last edited:

Comp04svt

Established Member
Just want to say, your car looks amazing! Nicely done, a lot of really nice touches!

TClark22

Established Member
don't ever touch anything on the exterior of that thing. Perfect example of how a bullitt should look!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread