00R New Look

poisoned apple

Established Member
So recently, I decided that I want to lower the car just a bit and put some spacers in the rear to get the wheels more flushed up with the fender. So I started that process by buying some H&R race springs and putting longer studs on the knuckles so that I can run a 1/2” spacer.
Well, while I had the car down and on the lift, I figured it’s a great time to freshen up the engine a little bit. I’ve been meaning to do a face lift on my engine for a while now. The car only has 15,000 miles but the paint has been bubbling on the intake and valve covers and the aluminum has quite a bit of oxidation built up.
So my goal was to pull the intake re-powder coat, vapor blast the lower alum section and then get the valve covers powder coated. Well, little did I know, it’s nearly impossible to remove the driver side valve cover with the engine in the car and the Hydroboost where it is and everything. So now I’m faced with the decision to leave the valve covers as they are or try and paint in place, or pull the engine and do it right…
Well, the engine is out and I’m going to do it all. I’ll pull all the accessories off and the timing cover and get those vapor blasted as well.
It was a long time coming, so I’m glad it’s getting done.
I’ll continue to update as progress is made

ad484d9ed1eb0a13c8fdc18122a1b855.jpg

e871cabce4261b30a6eaf5b6fc13265a.jpg

f4c64169d327951bef0392953873e1fd.jpg

6d3f0d0579b729b8666584aca533e88c.jpg

be301b723dd3481989254a9d8bd7ec7a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Trying to paint the valve covers in place will be difficult. I have never had much success with it at least. Looks like you have a great shop and the right tools, just drop the engine out and do it properly. You know you will find other things to do too once you’re there.

bird_dog0347

Established Member
If you really want it clean, maybe see if there's a dry ice blast available in your area.... do the engine bay and your undercarriage while you're at it.

poisoned apple

Established Member
If you really want it clean, maybe see if there's a dry ice blast available in your area.... do the engine bay and your undercarriage while you're at it.

Yeah, there is. 3 hours away. I think you saw where I had it done on my Foxboxy build. That is on the list of things to do.

poisoned apple

Established Member
Trying to paint the valve covers in place will be difficult. I have never had much success with it at least. Looks like you have a great shop and the right tools, just drop the engine out and do it properly. You know you will find other things to do too once you’re there.

Yes, this is what I’m afraid of lol. I don’t want the temptation. No “upgrades”

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Smart move on removing the engine. More work, of course, but the end result will be SO much better because you'll restore many more engine parts that would otherwise be impossible or near impossible to do with the engine installed.

That's some serious intake paint bubbling. Is that a common issue with the factory intakes?

poisoned apple

Established Member
Smart move on removing the engine. More work, of course, but the end result will be SO much better because you'll restore many more engine parts that would otherwise be impossible or near impossible to do with the engine installed.

That's some serious intake paint bubbling. Is that a common issue with the factory intakes?

Yes exactly there are lots of other parts that need to get done so it just made sense to spend a little extra time and work doing it right.
I don’t think it’s a common issue. I’ve seen 60,000 mile cars that didn’t have paint bubbling like this. I’m not really sure what the cause is, I guess heat. And this car has been on the road course many times, so more heat than a normal street car.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Increased heat being on a road coarse many times could definitely be the cause, I guess. Are you doing any special with the re-powder coat the intake to protect it from heat?

poisoned apple

Established Member
The stainless exhaust I’m using ospho with 0000 steel wool.
The bare aluminum is done with a glass bead blast

Users who are viewing this thread