'00R Master Cylinder

sfs32vcobra

S197 Boss 302S Clone
Established Member
I will spare all of you the sordid details, but I now have the need to get my hands on a 2000 R master cylinder. :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Anybody have any ideas on how to get / rebuild / convert / make from scratch one of these?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated...

Scott Shafer

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
sfs32vcobra said:
I will spare all of you the sordid details, but I now have the need to get my hands on a 2000 R master cylinder. :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Anybody have any ideas on how to get / rebuild / convert / make from scratch one of these?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated...

Scott Shafer

Scott,

I would use the 03/04 Cobra master cylinder and install plugs in the bleed screws. The 5.4 00R sits a little higher than the 4.6 and the bleed screws will hit the valve cover.

:beer:

sfs32vcobra

S197 Boss 302S Clone
Established Member
Latest info...

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen.

The '03 / '04 swapout with plugs instead of bleeders would probably have worked, except that for some reason one of the fitting ports for the '00R is a larger OD thread. To use the '03 / '04 would require a size increasing bushing and bending the line, or a special line, so it is not totally out of the question, but I would like to retain the standard fittings and lines if at all possible.

Shelbyguy - are you saying there is a seal kit available? The servicing dealer says he cannot find such a kit.

Alternatively, we removed the snap ring from the end of the master cylinder facing the fire wall on both the original part and a '01 Cobra replacement, and found that the "spool" assemblies (inclusive of the aluminum dog bone shaped part, the seals, and the spring) looked visually identical and were the same part number. We have swapped these internals, and will next complete a bench bleed and reassembly onto the car.

Thanks again - I'll keep you posted...

Scott

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
Did you get the engineering number off the OE master cylinder?
Sometimes they can cross-reference to a new M/C or a rebuild kit.
Also possible that the bore size inside the master is the same
as the later Cobras.
It's easy to rebuild a master Cylinder, IF you can get a kit.

Users who are viewing this thread