00 Cobra 'R' Exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaiLLestFigure

Blown 99 Cobra
Established Member
Quick question, i found an original 00 Cobra R Borla side exhaust system and wanted to know if it'd bolt up or work with my year model cobra? It's a 99 Cobra! I always loved side exhaust and wanted to see if anyone tried this or knows anyone who has side exhuast on there Stang!!

Dave

griffined

SVT driver
If I remember correctly, it will bolt up, with only minor work on getting the hangers for it in the right spots. On the other hand, if you have aftermarket SFC (Sub frame connectors) installed, it might not fit.

Ed

Screamin Cobra

Slam'd Cam'd Z06
Established Member
griffined said:
If I remember correctly, it will bolt up, with only minor work on getting the hangers for it in the right spots. On the other hand, if you have aftermarket SFC (Sub frame connectors) installed, it might not fit.

Ed

+1, CoolCobraMatt had side exhaust on his 01 Cobra and it worked and fit just fine...ask him about it.

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
Thanks Screamin...I had the Bassani side exit on my 01 and damn I wish I still had it on my 03. Loss of about 5 hp but wow it looks killer and sounds even better. I had the catted Bassani X with it as well. It doesn't work well with a lowered car, mine scraped all the time. Lesson learned. I had to remove my factory SFC's, Screamin is right it won't fit. I doubt it would work with any SFC's though. Mine wasn't even made to fit a convertible, Bassani wouldn't even say it would fit as they said they didn't design it for a vert nor ever heard of one installed on one. WHen it was installed, nothing fit right, and the places Bassani had the hangers welded at didn't match up with what the factory had holes cut for. I heard my mechanic cussing for 3 hrs making it fit. It took some cutting and bending to make it work and it kinda never lived up to the Bassani rep.

I know the Cobra R exhaust was a Borla, and it has the turbo style mufflers, so it won't be as stout sounding. The chances of finding an original Cobra R exhaust seems kinda slim, so I'd wonder if it was a true R model, or one made into it, or the Borla unit. If it's the Borla it's a quality piece. You could also look into the Roush (magnaflow) or CLassic Design Concepts pieces. Both work on verts and have the additional benefit (looks) of those cool ground effects.

If you have the cash buy the Bassani though...wow you won't regret it.

Last edited:

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Just remember, if you go with the side exhaust, you now have a rear bumper with two cut outs for your original tailpipes. The R comes with a 6 cyl. bumper to solve this....

Screamin Cobra

Slam'd Cam'd Z06
Established Member
DAVESVT2000 said:
Just remember, if you go with the side exhaust, you now have a rear bumper with two cut outs for your original tailpipes. The R comes with a 6 cyl. bumper to solve this....
+1, too bad it wouldn't say COBRA...do they make bumbers with no inserts that say COBRA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread