“Starter” Tool Set Question

involutions

Hey I’m looking at a Craftsman Tool set for my younger brother. He’s got a mix of old tools from our dad but missing lots of bits and pieces. He likes to wrench on his motorcycle and car himself. I looked over Sears website and found this 409 piece set for $849. Opinions?

Here’s a quick rundown of what this kit has listed:

• All tools are cast from high-quality steel
  • (137) 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drive sockets come in both inch and metric sizes in standard and deep depths
  • 26 inch and metric hex keys
  • (35) 1/4" and 3/8" drive bit sockets
  • (4) 3/8" and 1/2" drive spark plug sockets
  • Full range of combination wrenches in inch and metric sizes
  • (16) 144-position ratcheting combination wrenches
  • (36) 12-point combination wrenches
  • 18 box end wrenches
  • 8 flare nut wrenches
  • 10 tappet wrenches
  • Obstruction wrench
  • 20 ignition combination wrenches
  • 16 full polish stubby combination wrenches
  • (3) 90T thin-profile ratchets with 4° swing arcs and long handles
  • (3) 45T quick-release ratchets
  • 3 flex breaker bars get tough fasteners turning again
  • 7 adapters
  • 3 universal joints turn standard sockets into flex sockets
  • 11 extension bars
  • 3 ratchet spinner discs to quickly turn down fasteners
  • 3 speed handles
  • 2 spinner handles
  • 24 screwdrivers
  • 6 pliers
  • 14 inch and metric nut drivers

involutions

I would try ebay or yard sales. From a former mechanic, yes, the new craftsman tools are cheap and made in China. If you can find the nicer old tools for a good price, I'd go for that. Nowadays, Craftsman is no better than Husky, Kobalt, or whatever you can get at NAPA and Car Quest. Otherwise, his mixed bag of tools is probably just fine. Don't get mesmerized by the shiny new tools...

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
I used to go to pawn shops and get random Craftsman tools out of the bins and take them straight to Sears and trade them in on new replacements. Before I went to work at the dealer I got a set from Snap-On that I still have and use at home. It's still in pretty much the same condition as it was in new.

I have found decent deals on Snap-On stuff at pawn shops, but most of the time they wanted brand new prices saying that they would be replaced if broken which made them like new.

Blown 89

Established Member
I have found decent deals on Snap-On stuff at pawn shops, but most of the time they wanted brand new prices saying that they would be replaced if broken which made them like new.
That seems to be the used market for anything as a whole. I've been scouring craigslist, ebay, offerup and facebook market for some things I need but will settle for used. After a month of searching I just bought everything I needed new because people were literally asking more for used things than I could buy them for new. Tools seem to be that way too.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
The reality is that Crafstman is just fine for 99% of the people turning wrenches but if I were you I'd take that $900 budget and spend the money piecing together a custom set like this (product links in the text):

-Wera laser cut screwdrivers $34. The best screwdrivers you can get IMO.

-Bondhus bright guard allen set. $30. I prefer the standard end over the ball but they sell those too. You can also pick up a standard and metric smaller set for $10 each. Beta makes a really nice J handle set without the ball on the end but they'll set you back a lot of money. Nobody makes a better Allen wrench than Bondhus. I can link articles stating why if you need.

Gear Wrench socket set. For $90 you get their 1/4" and 1/2" ratchets which are among the best as well as a full set of deep and standard 1/2" and 3/8" along with extensions. The sockets are the same as anyone else's but the ratchets are why you get the set.

Knipex Plier set. $115. They make precision pliers too but I've always just bought cheap brands for those as needed.

So right there you have a good base for anything that you need for $269 or $289 if you went hog wild on hex wrenches. That leaves a good $600 or so to spend on good wrenches. That's where you want to spend your money IMO. Real Tool Reviews did a video comparing Wright, Snap-on, Crafstman, and Gear Wrench. I can't find the video but linked the Snap-On vs Wright here. Basically Snap-On and Write snapped the bolt head off and the Craftsman crescent end flexed open enough to slip and round the head. The Gear Wrench performed in the middle of Crafstman and SO/W. If you want a good budget wrench Gear Wrench is pretty damn good.

Wright metric set $177.
Wright standard set $160

So right there you're at $606 and you've given him the best screwdrivers you can buy (seriously the best money I've ever spent), the best pliers you can buy, the best hex you can buy, one of the best ratchets you can buy, and some of the best wrenches you can buy. That leaves an extra $250 to play with. You could add some Torx wrenches, get him a Milwaukee impact wrench or ratchet driver, you could add a wider range of crescent wrenches, maybe some Proto ratcheting wrenches, some breaker bars, or whatever specialty tools he might need. That way you're not getting a him a set of mediocre tools...half of which he'll never use.

That's my 2 cents from someone that researches tools way too much. There's some seriously high end stuff in there and it didn't break your budget. The reality is that most of the tools in those sets go untouched. I tend to buy the best stuff I can get for what I need rather than blowing my budget on on cheap tools full of stuff that doesn't fit my needs.
Preach...

Sent from my COR-L29 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread