“Starter” Tool Set Question

roadracer247

Established Member
Hey I’m looking at a Craftsman Tool set for my younger brother. He’s got a mix of old tools from our dad but missing lots of bits and pieces. He likes to wrench on his motorcycle and car himself. I looked over Sears website and found this 409 piece set for $849. Opinions?

Here’s a quick rundown of what this kit has listed:

• All tools are cast from high-quality steel
  • (137) 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drive sockets come in both inch and metric sizes in standard and deep depths
  • 26 inch and metric hex keys
  • (35) 1/4" and 3/8" drive bit sockets
  • (4) 3/8" and 1/2" drive spark plug sockets
  • Full range of combination wrenches in inch and metric sizes
  • (16) 144-position ratcheting combination wrenches
  • (36) 12-point combination wrenches
  • 18 box end wrenches
  • 8 flare nut wrenches
  • 10 tappet wrenches
  • Obstruction wrench
  • 20 ignition combination wrenches
  • 16 full polish stubby combination wrenches
  • (3) 90T thin-profile ratchets with 4° swing arcs and long handles
  • (3) 45T quick-release ratchets
  • 3 flex breaker bars get tough fasteners turning again
  • 7 adapters
  • 3 universal joints turn standard sockets into flex sockets
  • 11 extension bars
  • 3 ratchet spinner discs to quickly turn down fasteners
  • 3 speed handles
  • 2 spinner handles
  • 24 screwdrivers
  • 6 pliers
  • 14 inch and metric nut drivers

Attachments

• 5F015BEF-FF0D-4724-B483-7E9FD70A674E.jpeg
    5F015BEF-FF0D-4724-B483-7E9FD70A674E.jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 146

gt347mustang

Established Member
Craftsman tools suck nowadays. I wouldn't even use them to throw through somebody's window.

Crazy to think but harbor freight has better quality stuff.

Coiled03

Established Member
My opinion is Craftsman is one of the last brands I'd look to for quality tools, now. Unless I'm mistaken, they don't even have a lifetime guarantee anymore. There are probably half a dozen brands of equal quality, that cost less.

My94GT

Established Member
Personally for basic home tools I like kobalt. I have some of their stuff and it works well.

Working in shops for a living I use snap on or the like for heavy use or if I have the spare cash to blow but it’s not needed for basic home repairs or light vehicle work.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Personally for basic home tools I like kobalt. I have some of their stuff and it works well.

Working in shops for a living I use snap on or the like for heavy use or if I have the spare cash to blow but it’s not needed for basic home repairs or light vehicle work.

I like Kobalt too. Their 1/2" torque wrench is still going strong for me even through a lot of usage.

I have noticed more sales on Kobalt stuff since Craftsman has been sold at Lowes. Hope they don't axe the blue stuff for craftsman.

roadracer247

Established Member
My opinion is Craftsman is one of the last brands I'd look to for quality tools, now. Unless I'm mistaken, they don't even have a lifetime guarantee anymore. There are probably half a dozen brands of equal quality, that cost less.

Could you please list those half a dozen brands that you’d recommend instead of Craftsman that are of similar cost?

08mojo

Established Member
Lowe's carries Craftsman and Kobalt. Go to the store and see if there is a brand you prefer more. It's also worth a trip to home depot to check out the husky brand. I bought a husky set 20 years ago and it's served me well through a lot of projects. I think the quality of the three brands mentioned has declined since 2 decades ago, but they're still plenty good for a backyard mechanic.

The set you posted is more than you'll need for a motorcycle.

roadracer247

Established Member
I’m also scanning good ‘ole Craigslist. Can probably find someone who’s dumping all their old tools...

roadracer247

Established Member
Lowe's carries Craftsman and Kobalt. Go to the store and see if there is a brand you prefer more. It's also worth a trip to home depot to check out the husky brand. I bought a husky set 20 years ago and it's served me well through a lot of projects. I think the quality of the three brands mentioned has declined since 2 decades ago, but they're still plenty good for a backyard mechanic.

The set you posted is more than you'll need for a motorcycle.

Thanks! I’ll check out Husky as well.

96dreamer

Established Member
Kobalt, gear wrench, Pittsburgh, husky I would probably buy before craftsman. I try and avoid those kits for the most part, especially as the tool # goes up. They just start throwing in useless stuff to up the part count and charge more, you wont use half the stuff in that kit in a lifetime of wrenching. If I was piecing myself a set together for the price you were going to pay $850 for that kit I would probably piece it together from harbor freight over a few weeks so I could use the 20% coupons and free item coupons on each purchase. I am pretty rough on tools and in my experience the Harbor Freight stuff is better quality than the craftsman stuff I have that is probably 10 years old.

roadracer247

Established Member
Kobalt, gear wrench, Pittsburgh, husky I would probably buy before craftsman. I try and avoid those kits for the most part, especially as the tool # goes up. They just start throwing in useless stuff to up the part count and charge more, you wont use half the stuff in that kit in a lifetime of wrenching. If I was piecing myself a set together for the price you were going to pay $850 for that kit I would probably piece it together from harbor freight over a few weeks so I could use the 20% coupons and free item coupons on each purchase. I am pretty rough on tools and in my experience the Harbor Freight stuff is better quality than the craftsman stuff I have that is probably 10 years old.

Thanks for the recommendations.

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Another fan of Kobalt here. I used to be diehard Craftsman, but every ratchet I have from them is a pile of crap now.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Another fan of Kobalt here. I used to be diehard Craftsman, but every ratchet I have from them is a pile of crap now.

Pretty sure Craftsman and DeWalt use the same manufacturer. They look identical. I was just using a DeWalt 3/8 ratchet last week and the button popped off the back of the ratchet (push in to remove/install socket).
Piece of shit.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Honestly, it's a crap shoot unless you buy high end stuff.

I use Craftsman, Stanley, Harbor Freight, Kobalt, Husky, you name it. It's hit and miss. You learn from trial and error on what you can buy from whom.

Torque wrenches? Tekton. Hands down. Impact sockets? Harbor Freight. Chrome 12-point sockets? Kobalt. Air compressor? Dewalt. Tool chest? Husky.

If you limit yourself to simply one brand, you'll be sorely disappointed eventually.

Blown 89

Established Member
The reality is that Crafstman is just fine for 99% of the people turning wrenches but if I were you I'd take that $900 budget and spend the money piecing together a custom set like this (product links in the text):

-Wera laser cut screwdrivers $34. The best screwdrivers you can get IMO.

-Bondhus bright guard allen set. $30. I prefer the standard end over the ball but they sell those too. You can also pick up a standard and metric smaller set for $10 each. Beta makes a really nice J handle set without the ball on the end but they'll set you back a lot of money. Nobody makes a better Allen wrench than Bondhus. I can link articles stating why if you need.

Gear Wrench socket set. For $90 you get their 1/4" and 1/2" ratchets which are among the best as well as a full set of deep and standard 1/2" and 3/8" along with extensions. The sockets are the same as anyone else's but the ratchets are why you get the set.

Knipex Plier set. $115. They make precision pliers too but I've always just bought cheap brands for those as needed.

So right there you have a good base for anything that you need for $269 or $289 if you went hog wild on hex wrenches. That leaves a good $600 or so to spend on good wrenches. That's where you want to spend your money IMO. Real Tool Reviews did a video comparing Wright, Snap-on, Crafstman, and Gear Wrench. I can't find the video but linked the Snap-On vs Wright here. Basically Snap-On and Write snapped the bolt head off and the Craftsman crescent end flexed open enough to slip and round the head. The Gear Wrench performed in the middle of Crafstman and SO/W. If you want a good budget wrench Gear Wrench is pretty damn good.

Wright metric set $177.
Wright standard set $160

So right there you're at $606 and you've given him the best screwdrivers you can buy (seriously the best money I've ever spent), the best pliers you can buy, the best hex you can buy, one of the best ratchets you can buy, and some of the best wrenches you can buy. That leaves an extra $250 to play with. You could add some Torx wrenches, get him a Milwaukee impact wrench or ratchet driver, you could add a wider range of crescent wrenches, maybe some Proto ratcheting wrenches, some breaker bars, or whatever specialty tools he might need. That way you're not getting a him a set of mediocre tools...half of which he'll never use.

That's my 2 cents from someone that researches tools way too much. There's some seriously high end stuff in there and it didn't break your budget. The reality is that most of the tools in those sets go untouched. I tend to buy the best stuff I can get for what I need rather than blowing my budget on on cheap tools full of stuff that doesn't fit my needs.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If your brother is going to use the tools basically around his house (sounds like that is what he's doing with them), Craftsman tools should be fine if you get them for a good price. But if the tools are going to be used professionally, I would not recommend Craftsman. The other brands already mentioned would be a much better choice. I have some Kobalt tools that I bought for around the house/garage (overkill for me) but I like them a lot. My tool chest is a mixed bag, including Craftsman. If I see better tools on sale, I'll usually replace some of what I already have, depending on their condition.

Users who are viewing this thread