‘70 Boss 302 Value

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I have not as much attention to this market as I probably should have, but I ran across a local car today that is “for sale” but not yet listed everywhere.

‘70 Boss in B2 (Medium Blue?)
4 sp
Premium interior in blue
Owner claims to be 3rd owner
<70K miles on body
Motor replaced with factory ford boss block -not sure on originality yet, didnt talk that much
New exhaust/fuel tank/interior redone
Haven’t seen underneath it yet, only noticed a couple small blemishes in the body
small issue with rear bumper alignment

Is there anyone who has a ball park for what this car may be worth if the underside is solid, and mileage/originality works out?

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'd be curious just because this was my dream car in my younger years. Hopefully someone can point you in the right direction.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
091AF9CC-5653-455D-974E-6CFA8DDE0247.png
1036CE39-6CF6-4CBA-8BFE-ADBAF8E3A2D9.png
1036CE39-6CF6-4CBA-8BFE-ADBAF8E3A2D9.png
71050854-2FD8-46BC-9F61-CF62F1BD6DB8.png

Attachments

• ACFD4C44-A5C6-4550-A965-3CFB84465B43.png
    ACFD4C44-A5C6-4550-A965-3CFB84465B43.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 67

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I'd be curious just because this was my dream car in my younger years. Hopefully someone can point you in the right direction.

Me too. I have sort of given up on owning one, and assumed I’d settle for a 69/70 fastback with a 351, but saw this today and thought perhaps it is destiny.

LSwat

Established Member
I follow the 69/70 mustangs pretty closely, once you get into the numbers matching the price goes above 60k-70k.

Any run of the mill, nothing special fastback that is clean is north of 40k. (Driveable and well cared for)

The old "whatever someone is willing to pay for it" definitely weighs in here.

I've personally seen real boss cars listed for north of 50k (conservatively)... I'd lean more towards North of 60k starting for a numbers matching boss 302.

If it's under 40k and it's CLEAN it's a decent deal from what I've seen. The fact it's a true boss and not fully original puts it in a weird place pricing wise in my opinion.

mariusvt

Established Member
Just running a Google search yielded some eye popping numbers for not just the boss 302 but the 69/70 cars in general. Range I saw was like 50k+.

LSwat

Established Member
Just running a Google search yielded some eye popping numbers for not just the boss 302 but the 69/70 cars in general. Range I saw was like 50k+.
Resto mods and just recently restored cars go up real fast in price. Kinda a whole different territory than a well kept "original car" , but yeah prices get wild fast.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
60k......67k if it has smog, Rev limiter, original exhaust manifolds and other engine bay and driveline goodies.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Hes asking 60k

No rev limiter
Have to check on manifolds- i think theyre factory, everything after it isnt

Blown motor in 1983

Factory ford boss 302 block replacement

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Throw out $50k cash and a pair of darn toughs, see if he bites.
He bought it for 40 last year. I actually talked to the dude that sold it to him last fall and didnt realize this was the same car.

Idiot sold it (his dad was original owner) for 40k because he wanted something more friendly and fun to drive…. Bought a new Thunderbird.

Wtf…

I think 50-55 is fair. We’ll see what happens.

sleek98

Established Member
The motor is the weird part value wise to me.

I would say 60 is a little high but would wouldn’t be surprised if someone paid that much not caring about the block.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
He bought it for 40 last year. I actually talked to the dude that sold it to him last fall and didnt realize this was the same car.

Idiot sold it (his dad was original owner) for 40k because he wanted something more friendly and fun to drive…. Bought a new Thunderbird.

Wtf…

I think 50-55 is fair. We’ll see what happens.
So he has no taste in vehicles it seems. As the retarded Bird as I like to call it has to be the most useless and missed opportunities for Ford, as what they should of done was took the Jag S type R running gear and powerplant and have something. But nope lets just reskin a Lincoln LS and call it a day and charge a premium.

Detroit Iron

Established Member
Premium Member
Some of these one off parts for the original Boss cars are super hard to find and very expensive. I would definitely do some research before deciding on a price. They are very cool cars, but the old cars aren’t for everybody. We’ve been spoiled by fuel injection and power everything.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
So he has no taste in vehicles it seems. As the retarded Bird as I like to call it has to be the most useless and missed opportunities for Ford, as what they should of done was took the Jag S type R running gear and powerplant and have something. But nope lets just reskin a Lincoln LS and call it a day and charge a premium.

Absolutely. The guy I spoke to last fall was the seller to the current owner.

I was at a large labor day cruise in just bs-ing with my previous neighbor (who has a 428 eliminator bought new by his dad) drinking a few beers and shooting the shit when the neighbor started talking to this dude.

I was half engaged in conversation until he mentioned selling his original boss 302 for 40k. I was probably a little too hard on this dude I’d never met, but I was adamant when I said, “if you have anything else cool to sell, please tell me.”

So now that I have the back story on the car, its history, and about what it sold for, I don’t expect the guy to accept. But….something about losing 100% of races you don’t start…..

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Some of these one off parts for the original Boss cars are super hard to find and very expensive. I would definitely do some research before deciding on a price. They are very cool cars, but the old cars aren’t for everybody. We’ve been spoiled by fuel injection and power everything.

Being a solid, but not show car, is actually more appealing to me. Same guy selling owns a 10k original mile rotisserie Grabber ‘70 Boss. I guess he’s selling the one mentioning in this thread to clear funds for a nice Grabber ‘70 Boss 429.

I shot the shit long enough for him to admit he hates driving the mint Boss compared to this one he’s selling.

I really just want something cool to look at, keep clean, cruise to car shows with a cooler of beer, and purchase my first pair of Nee Balances. The shelby is for when I want to get rowdy and make poor decisions.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
I have not as much attention to this market as I probably should have, but I ran across a local car today that is “for sale” but not yet listed everywhere.

‘70 Boss in B2 (Medium Blue?)
4 sp
Premium interior in blue
Owner claims to be 3rd owner
<70K miles on body
Motor replaced with factory ford boss block -not sure on originality yet, didnt talk that much
New exhaust/fuel tank/interior redone
Haven’t seen underneath it yet, only noticed a couple small blemishes in the body
small issue with rear bumper alignment

Is there anyone who has a ball park for what this car may be worth if the underside is solid, and mileage/originality works out?
Looks like a great cruiser. If the block was replaced, check the heads. The heads are what make the Boss, well, a Boss. Acapulco blue looks to be the shade. Do it, I was thinking 55-60k. I picked up my 70 Fastback in 2001. 351 Cleveland 4v Closed port, quench heads. You can almost fit 2 golf balls in the intake ports! Huge 2.19 intake and 1.71 exhaust valves. On par with big block Chevy. They like to rev, that's why the limiter is unplugged or gone. Even with nearly 50 more cubic inches my Cleveland has a hard time making full use of the heads.

Looks good, give him a feel out and go from there!

20220906_170922_compress29.jpg
20220907_072356_HDR_compress69.jpg

20220906_170822_compress83.jpg

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Numbers matching! I would like to have that one explained. How is any buyer going to verify that without invasive exploration. Just getting to confirm the casting numbers is hard enough behind the exhaust manifold. Engine ID tags can and have been replicated and stamps can and have been restamped. If the car just happened to a 2k original paint Boss 302, NO seller is going to let take off Accessories and let you scrape paint on a block to see a partial stamp.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Numbers matching! I would like to have that one explained. How is any buyer going to verify that without invasive exploration. Just getting to confirm the casting numbers is hard enough behind the exhaust manifold. Engine ID tags can and have been replicated and stamps can and have been restamped. If the car just happened to a 2k original paint Boss 302, NO seller is going to let take off Accessories and let you scrape paint on a block to see a partial stamp.

Valid

I dont generally trust buyers, but having spoke to the previous owner, I believe everything is original minus the block that spit a rod.

I’m going to shoot out 50 and see what happens.

Turns out his stepson is on the baseball team I coach.

Maybe I can get a discount.

Users who are viewing this thread