Anybody ever install a hitch on they're cobra?

alfie623

Yeah this sounds crazy but I've got a good reason. Once a year I get together with a group of guys at a lake and we all hang out and do guy stuff. I want to bring my (new to me) 04 cobra and my jet ski and I'm trying to figure out a way to do it. I'd be looking for a hitch that can't be seen from the back of the car when it doesn't have a draw bar in it. I used to Autocross and lots of guys had some hitches to pull thier tire trailers. anyway, anyone got any ideas?

Jdaniel

THE DARK SIDE MOD
Established Member
Please God tell me this is a joke! I wouldnt even consider considering thinking of it! Im sure it can be done for those who are determined though.

LT1KILLER

dirt man
Established Member
If you are serious then call UHaul, they work with Drawtite and Valley Industries and if they don't have something already then they can fab something for you with a deposit. I used to be the hitch pro at the one I worked at but the only stang I put one on was a 98 GT, it was a class 1 rated at 2000 gross and 200 tongue weight. I think it was the same part for 94-04 cars but the cobra gas tank might make it not fit. I would recommend the rent or borrow the truck suggestion though as because to install this hitch you have to cut 1 inch holes in the bottom of the bumper and it prob isn't good for the resale value.

Bionik_P

Established Member
Forget the Cobra....buy a Lightning....haul your stuff that way....problem solved....no hitch ever belongs on a Cobra. :-D

cobra12003

Established Member
alfie623 said:
Yeah this sounds crazy but I've got a good reason. Once a year I get together with a group of guys at a lake and we all hang out and do guy stuff. I want to bring my (new to me) 04 cobra and my jet ski and I'm trying to figure out a way to do it. I'd be looking for a hitch that can't be seen from the back of the car when it doesn't have a draw bar in it. I used to Autocross and lots of guys had some hitches to pull thier tire trailers. anyway, anyone got any ideas?

Be careful of having an idea diffrent then building the shit and beetin the shit out of your car , because most want you to only think their way or the highway! As you can see. Go to a hitch shop ask them if they can do it, if yes, how? then if you can do it yourself

Christian

Ready To Run
Established Member
alfie623 said:
Yeah this sounds crazy but I've got a good reason... I want to bring my (new to me) 04 cobra and my jet ski...
Good reason to install a hitch on a Cobra > Sorry my friend, there is no reason to do so.

You want to tow your jet ski > drive your Cobra down a launch = :dw:

Seriously though, you really should think about this and hopefully you'll conclude that there are better ways to go have fun with your friends:thumbsup:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm sure you can do it, but I would seriously consider other options. The Cobra is not designed to tow anything. JMO.

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
But it'll be the fastest jet ski on the freeway! I've looked a lot a my rear bumper and I'm not sure they could install a hitch that didn't show. Maybe one with a hitch extension with a dog leg or two in it? Stay outta the boost if you do and good luck to you.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
It may not be popular, but it CAN be done. :)

A quick search turned up these threads...

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103289
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165664

Cobra_015.jpg

Cobra_016.jpg

WOLFGANGSTA

Banned
I say if you want to do it and you enjoy the jetski's, then go for it. don't listen to these guys. Sure beats the hell out of buying another vehicle!

I had a roommate a few years ago who raced motocross every weekend. His only vehicle was a Corvette. (See where I'm going with this?) Yep, he installed a hitch and took his 2 bikes and gear with him in tow behind the Vette. He got a lot of sh1t for it, but he had a few good points to the people that would make comments.
1. It had more power than a typical truck and
2. It had better braking than a typical truck.

Hard to argue with that, plus he avoided another vehicle payment, insurance and tags.

I say do it!

Users who are viewing this thread