Anybody ever install a hitch on they're cobra?

dew.man

Established Member
Just to chime in, back in the day, I put a hitch on my 87 GT. I know it's not the same thing as the Term, but the lessons learned should still be applicable.

Anyways, it took a long time, but I did find a very nice set-up (after a lot of searching) that was a flat receiver that mounted snuggly under the rear valance, and was nearly invisible when not in use. With that set-up, I pulled a 17 foot fiberglass bowrider, and the Mustang handled it like a champ. So much so, that I would forget that the boat was back there!

Bottom line, is that it's your car, and you do what you want to it. In my opinion, if you don't mind the cosmetics, then pulling a jet-ski is no worse on the driveline than a day at the dragstrip...

Matt M PA

Established Member
I tow with a V10 2005 Excursion, so I cannot imagine putting a hitch on my Cobra...or Viper for that matter...but many have done so.

I say...it's your car...no one else is paying the insurance on it...so make it work for you. I have installed all kinds of non-stock stuff in my vehicles to make it what I want for my use.

That said, I cannot imagine how well that would work on a boat launch ramp..hmm.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
get a clue.. your NOT going to hurt a damn thing towing a jet ski and trailer that weights a few hundred pounds with a Mustang, (be it a Cobra or a V6) hell, with the power and brakes it has, your actually in a better tow vehicle than most light SUV's. Also, if your complaining about it being a unibody, look at the cross over SUV's.. they are unibody and can tow (I know my wife's Nissan Murano has a 3500 lb tow rating and it's FWD unibody) Same goes with the Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee I believe both are unibody..

SVTmojo

Track Junkie!
Established Member
flsupraguy said:
HPIM0972.gif

HPIM0971.gif

Makes baby Jesus cry :(
Why?????? I think he would be pumped! I am using the car for it's intended purpose. If anybody can give me a easier and cheaper way to get my race tires to the track, let me know. But this works perfect, and I have less than 140 bucks invested in it.

Raz

Established Member
He wants to know how to do it, not if he should do it. I don't see anywhere where he asked your opinions on what you think it would look like. It is his car, he paid for it, he can do what he wants. I am pretty sure that if you lose sleep over him having a hitch on his cobra, then you have some serious damn issues.

bb83

YOLO
Established Member
SVTmojo said:
Why?????? I think he would be pumped! I am using the car for it's intended purpose. If anybody can give me a easier and cheaper way to get my race tires to the track, let me know. But this works perfect, and I have less than 140 bucks invested in it.

Drive it to the track with race tires on it :shrug:

SVTmojo

Track Junkie!
Established Member
flsupraguy said:
Drive it to the track with race tires on it :shrug:

Either you don't own race tires, or don't go to the track very often. I live in a rather populated area, and there are not many road courses/ drag strips/ autocross courses within a reasonable distance. And I would be pissed if I hit a nail driving to a track with my track tires on.

In terms of installing a hitch. It was rather simple. Any GT hitch will fit on the cobra, same bolting points. All you have to do is get some longer heavy-duty bolts. I got mine from John Deere. then I made some spacers to drop the hitch down and clear the rear bumper. Easy as pie!

AMP

SVT Dad X2
Established Member
I'm sure there's nothing wrong with pulling a jet ski. I've got 2 skis on a double trailer. Each ski weighs about 600lbs. With the trailer I'm still under 1500lbs. I'm not sure how heavy his ski is... they can get up to about 900lbs. But even still, if you drive easy and don't brake hard the car should tow it.

I'd just really not recommend backing down a ramp with it. I'm assuming that once there one of your buddies could maybe hook up your trailer and back it down for you. I wouldn't want my car near any of the ramps I've seen around here. (Also, I'm assuming you're talking about fresh water).

Good luck if you do it, a day on the jet ski would make it worth it, but like I said, just don't try to back it down if at all possible. If need be, you and a couple of buddies could probably walk it down. I push my double around in the driveway by myself.

With that said, thank God I've got 4 trucks!

SVTmojo

Track Junkie!
Established Member
I agree with amp, I have no problem towing, but I would be cautious about backing it down the ramp. Heck my buddies envoy puts his bumper and exhaust in the water when he unloads his jet skis. With how low my car sits, I would be up to the trunk!

jking32

Established Member
I know this topic is a little old, but I have been looking to add a hitch to my 03 cobra to haul my race tires to autocrosses as well. My company is even considering a small, very limited run of hitches that would be completely hidden. The receiver mounts veritcally and once the ball hitch is removed will only be visible if you crawl under the car. We are just finishing the prototype and have mounted and checked it to make sure it is going to work based on class one hitch standards of 200lb tongue weight and 2000lb max tow weight. Hopefully there will be some interest from autocrossers or HPDE drivers. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who may be interested in something like this so I can get an idea of how many should be made. This is not an attempt to sell these here, I am just trying to see what kind of interest there may be and if it is worth producing more. Send me an email at [email protected] or PM me or just comment hear.

Last edited:

ditchsnake

Established Member
Backing up

I wanna watch him back his trailer in the water. Better be a steep ramp or a snakes going to float.

ddl6289

Established Member
I know this topic is a little old, but I have been looking to add a hitch to my 03 cobra to haul my race tires to autocrosses as well. My company is even considering a small, very limited run of hitches that would be completely hidden. The receiver mounts veritcally and once the ball hitch is removed will only be visible if you crawl under the car. We are just finishing the prototype and have mounted and checked it to make sure it is going to work based on class one hitch standards of 200lb toungue weight and 2000lb max tow weight. Hopefully there will be some interest from autocrossers or HPDE drivers. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who may be interested in something like this so I can get an idea of how many should be made. This is not an attempt to sell these here, I am just trying to see what kind of interest there may be and if it is worth producing more. Send me an email at [email protected] or PM me or just comment hear.

I'm interested. Need to get my equipment back and forth from the track for HPDE.

dan04gt

Behind Enemy Lines
Established Member
I say if you want to do it and you enjoy the jetski's, then go for it. don't listen to these guys. Sure beats the hell out of buying another vehicle!

I had a roommate a few years ago who raced motocross every weekend. His only vehicle was a Corvette. (See where I'm going with this?) Yep, he installed a hitch and took his 2 bikes and gear with him in tow behind the Vette. He got a lot of sh1t for it, but he had a few good points to the people that would make comments.
1. It had more power than a typical truck and
2. It had better braking than a typical truck.

Hard to argue with that, plus he avoided another vehicle payment, insurance and tags.

I say do it!

+1

I agree don't listen to these bozos,do it.

I have one for my car, had to buy one for a 04 mustang took it to a muffler shop and had it reworked it to fit.

GreyAsp

Established Member
I know this topic is a little old, but I have been looking to add a hitch to my 03 cobra to haul my race tires to autocrosses as well. My company is even considering a small, very limited run of hitches that would be completely hidden. The receiver mounts veritcally and once the ball hitch is removed will only be visible if you crawl under the car. We are just finishing the prototype and have mounted and checked it to make sure it is going to work based on class one hitch standards of 200lb tongue weight and 2000lb max tow weight. Hopefully there will be some interest from autocrossers or HPDE drivers. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who may be interested in something like this so I can get an idea of how many should be made. This is not an attempt to sell these here, I am just trying to see what kind of interest there may be and if it is worth producing more. Send me an email at [email protected] or PM me or just comment hear.
May be interested also. I have an '01 but I think it would be a similar fitment. (?)

Users who are viewing this thread