Zymol vs. Griot's

Cobrasvt43

Muscle car whore
Established Member
I have always taken good care of my vehicles but want to step up on my products and learn "best practices" I was thinking about getting one of their "kits" that have everything in them to use from start to finish.. including an instruction book of how they designed each product to be used.. until now my practices have been "wash, clay where needed, wax" but from what I see it looks like there are other steps in between that stuff that I should be exploring for the best end result.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I've never used Griots, but Zymol is nothing but re-labeled Turtle Wax. I'm not thrilled with any of the Zymol products I've ever used.
If you don't need to make any corrections, you don't really need to add too many steps to what you do now. Just tweak them a little bit. Are you trying to stay with OTC products, is that why you listed just Griots and Zymol?
If so, I think you'd be better off with Meguires products or even Mothers products.
Otherwise, my tips for you:
Don't underestimate the washing step! Use two buckets, one with just water and one with a good quality car shampoo (I use Sonus). I would also recommend getting a grit guard for your water/rinse bucket.
After I clay a car, I always do a quick rewash and then use a cleaner wax or pre-wax polish to prep the surface for whatever my final step will be.
For times that I'm not doing a full detail I use the same washing method as described above, dry the car thoroughly and then apply a thin coat of Optimum Car Wax (a very good quality spray wax).

If you don't mind ordering your supplies online, there's a whole world of products out there that are top notch, priced well and will blow your mind with performance.

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
I've never used Griots, but Zymol is nothing but re-labeled Turtle Wax. I'm not thrilled with any of the Zymol products I've ever used.
If you don't need to make any corrections, you don't really need to add too many steps to what you do now. Just tweak them a little bit. Are you trying to stay with OTC products, is that why you listed just Griots and Zymol?
If so, I think you'd be better off with Meguires products or even Mothers products.
Otherwise, my tips for you:
Don't underestimate the washing step! Use two buckets, one with just water and one with a good quality car shampoo (I use Sonus). I would also recommend getting a grit guard for your water/rinse bucket.
After I clay a car, I always do a quick rewash and then use a cleaner wax or pre-wax polish to prep the surface for whatever my final step will be.
For times that I'm not doing a full detail I use the same washing method as described above, dry the car thoroughly and then apply a thin coat of Optimum Car Wax (a very good quality spray wax).

If you don't mind ordering your supplies online, there's a whole world of products out there that are top notch, priced well and will blow your mind with performance.

Your info is really wrong! First Zymol, is not re-labled Turtle Wax. Zymol makes an OTC that is in store and then very high end waxes that cost an arm and a leg. Griot's is actually re-labeled Chemical Guys products. This has been discussed over at Autopia for years. Zymol's high end waxes will rival Swissvax, Dodo Juice or any other high end wax.

Cobrasvt43

Muscle car whore
Established Member
I don't mind ordering my supplies. At this point I would kind of prefer an all in one kit. What would be recommended in that case?

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Zymol is made by the company Turtle Wax is it not? Maybe saying that its "re-labeled" is not the right way to say it, but I don't think its "really wrong." All I stated was that I have never been thrilled with anything I've used from Zymol and I also stated that I never used Griots so I didn't comment on its quality.
I don't think anything I said was "really wrong," as specially since most of it was my opinion. Bottom line is that I have never used a Zymol product that came anywhere near the quality of DoDo Juice, Wolfgang or any other high end wax that I have used. That's my opinion and that's what I posted.
To quote my entire post saying I'm really wrong is a little brash don't you think. If you don't agree with my opinion that's fine but nothing that I posted beyond the facts behind Zymol's production, was "really wrong" either.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
To the OP, are you going to be using a machine or just working by hand?
If your working by hand, there's really no point in getting into any products designed for extensive correction. IN MY OPINION Klasse AIO is a great all in one product that will definitely take your finish to another level and can be applied by hand.
Autogeek.net also has some pretty good deals on Pinnacle and Wolfgang kits that include some great products.
The Wolfgang Interior/Exterior combo kit looks like it would include just about everything you could ask for in a complete detailing kit.
If you intend on getting a Dual Action buffer anyway, they also have a kit that includes the 7424 and just about everything else to get you started.

Users who are viewing this thread