ZX6R won't start, any ideas??

NEWSVTGUY

Established Member
I have an 06 zx6r with about 15000 miles. November of last yr it wouldn't run, bike would start and idle for a few seconds then die. Prior to this issue it sat outside in the rain for about a month. Where should I start.

Already eliminated these as not being the issue:
-Power Commander
-Battery
-Alternator

What else should I look at?

A little while before this happened my buddy said he smelled oil in the exhaust on start up. What could that be a sign of

I haven't adjusted the valves yet and the bike has the right amount of oil in it, no coolant in oil either.

No overheating issues.

Thanks for any advice

I'm not sure if they were fuel injected or still had the carb in 06 but I had a 98 zx6r a few years back and had to pull the carbs off and clean all of the bowls out. Pulled everything apart on the carbs and ran some cleaner through them and it ran fine after that, just a thought.

Silver03Termi

Established Member
I have an 06 zx6r with about 15000 miles. November of last yr it wouldn't run, bike would start and idle for a few seconds then die. Prior to this issue it sat outside in the rain for about a month. Where should I start.

Already eliminated these as not being the issue:
-Power Commander
-Battery
-Alternator

What else should I look at?

A little while before this happened my buddy said he smelled oil in the exhaust on start up. What could that be a sign of

I haven't adjusted the valves yet and the bike has the right amount of oil in it, no coolant in oil either.

No overheating issues.

Thanks for any advice

will it crank at all? how did you address the battery, power commander and "alternator" which is called a stator in motorcycles.

i see this a lot with bikes, 9 out of 10 times, it is the battery. it will crank but not start, the battery reads 12 volts, and will but wont start. the battery should read 13.1 volts. end of story. if it doesnt, its junk. all of the valves would have to be way far out of spec for it to not start. even if they need adjusted, the bike should start.

change the plugs? this is should be simple to figure out.

Last edited:

NEWSVTGUY

Established Member
will it crank at all? how did you address the battery, power commander and "alternator" which is called a stator in motorcycles.

i see this a lot with bikes, 9 out of 10 times, it is the battery. it will crank but not start, the battery reads 12 volts, and will but wont start. the battery should read 13.1 volts. end of story. if it doesnt, its junk. all of the valves would have to be way far out of spec for it to not start. even if they need adjusted, the bike should start.

change the plugs? this is should be simple to figure out.

Bought a new battery from the dealership and it still didn't start. Figured if it were the alternator/stator it would still run off the battery for a little. The bike will start but only idle for a few seconds then die.

The first time this happened it idled for maybe a minute then died, after that it would only idle for maybe 5-10 seconds. Put new plugs in and it still wouldn't run.

:shrug:

Thanks i'll check it out

Silver03Termi

Established Member
try unplugging the power commander. like i said in the other thread, i had a problem with my pcIII, tore the bike apart and it turned out to be the pcIII. keep it simple silly.

NEWSVTGUY

Established Member
you unplugged the pc and hooked up the ecu the way it should be and its doing the same thing? did you try new gas?

I unplugged the harness that plugs into the injectors and plugged the stock injector harness back in. I don't remember there being any more to it than that when I installed it.

I was hoping it was just the PC.

Silver03Termi

Established Member
im not sure about your bike, but i thought my r1 had 2 connectors for the pc. one to the ecu, and one to the injectors maybe. go back and look again to make sure.

NEWSVTGUY

Established Member
Ok I pulled the tank off and the fuel was definitely bad, there was some white crap that settled at the bottom that I am sure is in the fuel lines and injectors now. Any recommendation on how to take care of this? How should I make sure the tank is clean? Also is there anything I should mix in the fuel to help the start up and clean it out? I did buy some seafoam.

Thanks!

Silver03Termi

Established Member
Ok I pulled the tank off and the fuel was definitely bad, there was some white crap that settled at the bottom that I am sure is in the fuel lines and injectors now. Any recommendation on how to take care of this? How should I make sure the tank is clean? Also is there anything I should mix in the fuel to help the start up and clean it out? I did buy some seafoam.

Thanks!

just rinse the tank out with some fresh gas. fill it with fresh gas and seafoam or injector cleaner and crank away. might run rough till all that gunk is burned out. the injectors are easy to remove if you want to take them out and try to clean them, dont think it would do you any good though.\

keep us posted.

NEWSVTGUY

Established Member
OK I couldnt get the injectors off so im having the shop pick it up Friday to fix it. I cleaned out what I could and tried starting it and it wouldn't even come close, turned over but nothing else.

Do you think this is something that can simply be flushed out by them or does this usually end up causing problems and require new parts (injectors, pump, etc)

Thanks

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
check this out:

Picture6-1.png

Silver03Termi

Established Member
OK I couldnt get the injectors off so im having the shop pick it up Friday to fix it. I cleaned out what I could and tried starting it and it wouldn't even come close, turned over but nothing else.

Do you think this is something that can simply be flushed out by them or does this usually end up causing problems and require new parts (injectors, pump, etc)

Thanks

no offense man, but if you cant get the injectors out, you should probably just let a shop fix it. the injectors should be held in with a fuel rail and maybe a hold down rail. should be very easy to remove.

Users who are viewing this thread