ZX3 to SVT?

Cal

Established Member
I got a question for you guys that a buddy and myself could really use some help on. A good friend of mine has a 01 ZX3 with a 5sp. We were going through a few junkyards the other day looking for a passenger side mirror when we stumble upon a silver SVT Focus. Driver side was hit pretty hard but the motor and transmission are all good (it had just gotten there). Im just wondering how much work would be involved in transplantin the engine/tranny into a ZX3? Are the engine mounts different etc? What exactly is involved? Everyone here has always been a big help. Any and all help would be much appreciated. Thanks you guys.

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
I can tell you that it wont realy be that hared, just time consuming. Not bad if you can turn a wrench. BUt you'll need the computer and other things as well. But if you do it, either keep it shaven, or keep the ZX3 badges on it. If the VIN don't say it's a SVT then it's not. As long as you make it look good though, no ones gonna give you a hard time unless you pull some ricer shit, lol. Good luck and let us know what you plan on doing. Sounds like a good build.

elliot400

Certifiable SVT Poster
Established Member
Probably pretty easy with the right mounts. Hoses and wiring are all pretty close. You'd want the dash too, diff speedo and oil temp/press gauges. The side motor mounts are different, but some inventive drilling might be needed? I'd go for it. More revs, more power, more gears etc. Or, just the springs and wheels would add some fun. Lots of ideas. E-

Cal

Established Member
Thanks guys, just the information that we needed. He was thinking of actually modding the badges. ZVT lol. Thought it was pretty cool. We should be going there to look at it today. Thanks again for the help guys :)

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
If at all possible just get the whole car, You will need all the engine harnesses, dash harnesses and the PCM along with axles, shifter, shift cables etc.

Plus if the brakes are there then he gets a HUGE bonus. Even if the brakes are incomplete he can buy whats missing easily enough.

A guy in our local club just did that swap and he has it up and driving. I can help with any new parts you need for the swap.

Primaris

Established Member
Steve just curious do you think it is worth doing the swap? vs. other options?

Keep the 5 speed from the zx3 if you want lower 1/4 times.

Cal

Established Member
Yeah would the SVT engine mount to the 5 speed? He wanted to know that as well if he couldnt get the whole deal.

Users who are viewing this thread