ZX3/5 vs SVT

trevorx3

Established Member
I really have my heart set on an SVT Focus but availability and limited funds are really fighting me.

How much of a step down is it to get a non-SVT hatchback Focus?

VenomRogue

Focus > Mustang
Established Member
you dont get the good seats.

you dont get the body kit.

you dont get the extra 40 hp.

you dont get the better suspension.

you dont get the 6-speed getrag.

there is more, but these are the main things.

qurtrn10

Established Member
What kind of budget are you looking to spend?

Where in KS are you? How far out have you looked?

03#1965

Established Member
Give it some thought before moving ahead too quickly. Over time, you're likely to spend as much trying to turn your ZX3 into an SVT as you would just saving up another 6 months and spending that time doing some serious SVT homework. The search can be more than half the fun! Good luck.

qurtrn10

Established Member
Another thing to consider is that the majority of SVT owners treat their car well - the majority of regular focus owners treat them like a beater.

I picked up my svt for $5000, and if I wanted to be more patient, I probably could have had it for $4500. Mine was in really good shape - not perfect, but really good.

If you are looking at svts, after you look at condition, there were a few options available that you might like or not care about. If you'd like a sunroof, get one with it - you won't be adding one after. :) However, options like the audiophile sound system, and cold weather package can be added later on without too much hassle. The HID option can be added, but is pretty expensive, so if you run across one with that option, it might be worth more to you than a svt without.

Good luck, and if you need help finding a svt, ask!

trevorx3

Established Member
Well, my house and family are near Concordia, KS and I go to school at K-State in Manhattan. I've extended my search to all Craigslist postings in all of Nebraska, Missouri, the eastern part of Colorado, and the northern part of Oklahoma.

I found an SVT in Missouri, about 450 miles from where I live. Getting there isn't much of a problem. My dad would gladly take me there in his mpg car (Geo Metro).

Here's the Craigslist post:

"I am selling a 2003 Red Ford Focus SVT. The car has 55,000 miles on it. The blue book is around 7k and am looking for a quick sale. The motor has been completely rebuilt top to bottom. New head, crank, rods and pistons, bearings. Also has a brand new clutchmasters stage 1 clutch and alluminum flywheel. The car is in good shape, it does have a regular focus front bumber that needs to be painted due to hitting a raccoon, never been involved in an accident. The car also has a cold air intake and 2.5" exhaust which sounds pretty good. If you have any questions please give me a call @ 660-238-1428. can also send pics if wanted...................THANKS"

I've been emailing him and this is the conversation we've had so far:

---Me: "Could I get some pictures and some more info? Is it a 3 or 5 door?

Which of these following options does it include?

Options included a powered glass sunroof, 7 speaker Audiophile sound system with 8" sub-woofer, a cold weather package with heated seats, traction control, a 115V block heater, heated side mirrors and, for 2003 and 2004 models, HID xenon headlamps."

----Him: "Its a 3 door. Has hid headlamps and sunroof. Its has audiophile but is wired for an aftermarked system with stock deck. Has heated mirrors. Does not have the cold weather package."

----Me: "Could I get some pictures? Also, do you still have the damaged stock bumper?"

----Him: "Don't have the damaged bumper. Happened while I was in arizona visiting a couple years ago. "

----Me: "Alright, I'm interested for the most part. Who was the one who rebuilt the engine and how much experience did they have? Do you know why the engine needed to be rebuilt or the main cause for needing it (I'm assuming it was the engine was blown, in that case why was it blown?). How quick is the car, in terms of straight line speed?

Also, do you have more pictures of all angles of the car and of the interior?"

----Him:"The engine was re build by my brother who is a mechanic from arizona. The head was done by a local machine shop. The car had nitrous and messed it up due to missing second gear while racing it at the track. Then it spun a rod bearing. And now the whole motor was overhauled. The car itself is pretty quick. It no longer has nitrous but is set up for it. "

2003 Ford Focus SVT on Twitpic
Here is the only picture of the car he has sent me so far.

The reason I asked if it was quick was to see if it had been raced/abused.

Also, if I were to get a non-SVT Focus, I don't think I'd pour any money into it at all.

What do you guys think? Thanks for all the replies! Sorry for the text block =/

edit: he's asking $4500.

Last edited:

trevorx3

Established Member
Well, I'm looking at it with a grain of salt, of course.

Here's the rest of our conversation so far-

----me: "I see. As I understand, racing vehicles puts a lot of strain on all parts of the car. Getting the bumper painted along with any other repairs that might be needed is going to cost money. How is the car's condition, other than the bumper, in regards to damage to exterior (scratches, dents, chips) and the interior?"

----him: "I understand about the bumber. Other than that the car is in pretty good shape. Always been in a garrage. The. Id take 4k this weekend for it in cash if it would get sold. Its not perfect. But also not bad at all. I in oklahoma and will be back Friday. I willing to deal"

----me: "Are there steering wheel mounted stereo controls? And if there are, are they working with the aftermarket system?"

----him: "Yes there are. They did work when I had an aftermarket subs and amp in it. Currently the wires are just in the hatch ready to be hooked up"

----me: "What is the condition of the tires?"

----him: "They are in good shape. Probably 75 percent left or better on the tread. It has 6 spoke svt rims off a 2004 svt focus. Which also are in good shape"

----me: "What was the reasoning for the 2004 rims?"

----him: "I had 18s on it and traded the 18s for them cuz 18s were way too heavey and he had a 2004 svt"

Even if I were able to pick this car up for ~$3,500, is it still too risky to take a chance on?

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
Even if I were able to pick this car up for ~$3,500, is it still too risky to take a chance on?

" I in oklahoma and will be back Friday. I willing to deal" :nonono:

Really? :dw:

From the conversation so far it sounds like the whole car has been torn up, even the stereo equipment.

Look at these,

The Ford Focus Forum | Powered by Focaljet

The Ford Focus Forum | Powered by Focaljet

Look around on E-bay, you can tell if the car has been thrashed or not, my advice is to buy the nicest one you can because buying a fixer upper is going to KILL your wallet.

trevorx3

Established Member
Yah, I've extended my search to include all Craigslist posting in Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, Colorado, Iowa.

I'll take a look on that forum as well.

I think I'll be avoiding this one.

Also: could someone copy/paste the info to the listed cars? I can't view them until my account is approved by the mods over there =/

Last edited:

shlbygt

Established Member
"I am selling a 2003 Red Ford Focus SVT. The car has 55,000 miles on it. The blue book is around 7k and am looking for a quick sale. The motor has been completely rebuilt top to bottom. New head, crank, rods and pistons, bearings. Also has a brand new clutchmasters stage 1 clutch and alluminum flywheel. The car is in good shape, it does have a regular focus front bumber that needs to be painted due to hitting a raccoon, never been involved in an accident. The car also has a cold air intake and 2.5" exhaust which sounds pretty good. If you have any questions please give me a call @ 660-238-1428. can also send pics if wanted...................THANKS"

----Him:"The engine was re build by my brother who is a mechanic from arizona. The head was done by a local machine shop. The car had nitrous and messed it up due to missing second gear while racing it at the track. Then it spun a rod bearing. And now the whole motor was overhauled. The car itself is pretty quick. It no longer has nitrous but is set up for it. "

2003 Ford Focus SVT on Twitpic
Here is the only picture of the car he has sent me so far.

The reason I asked if it was quick was to see if it had been raced/abused.

No license plate, "stickaz" on the window and the motor was toasted on nitrous. Another drag racer wannabe. What do you want to bet his "brother" is an HVAC mechanic with some cool tools?
Run far away, very far away....

03#1965

Established Member
Agree TOTALLY with FORDSVTPARTS....walk away and don't give this one a second thought. It's bad news just waiting to land on your doorstep! If a car looks and SOUNDS like it's been abused, it has been.

Last edited:

trevorx3

Established Member
I'm starting to think that finding a solid SVT Focus for around ~$4,000 is going to be difficult. I've found a few listed throughout Craigslist. What questions should I be asking the sellers outside of the basic; what options are included (cold weather package, hids, audiophile, sunroof, etc), number of miles, more pictures esp of cosmetic damage, how well maintained, tire tread %, and clutch and transmission current state.

Thanks for all the help guys.

I'm taking my time and trying not to get too zealous about one car find. Just difficult when I want a SVT Focus soo bad :rolling:

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
Agree TOTALLY with FORDSVTPARTS....walk away and don't give this one a second thought. It's bad news just waiting to land on your doorstep! If a car looks and SOUNDS like it's been abused, it has been.

THIS...ALL DaY LONG!!! DON'T BE A SHMUCK...FIND ANOTHER ONE!!! GOOD LUCK!!!

Users who are viewing this thread