ZL - wow

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
I was on my way home from work and stopped by my local Chevy dealership because I heard they had a 2013 Chevy Camaro ZL1 there. It was an Orange Zl1 with an automatic transmission. Dealer demo with 528 or so miles on it. After talking with a nice young salesman he grabbed the keys and fired it up. WOW that thing is LOUD for a stock car, he asked if I wanted to take it for a spin so I said sure why not?

This thing was FAST LOUD and handled really well for a 4000 pound car. I genuinely liked it. If anyone isnt a brand nut swinger I seriously recommend taking it out for a quick spin. It is incredible. I would put above an M3 in terms of performance by FAR.

nickf2005

Established Member
I would like to know the the number of ZL1 owners that AREN'T brand loyalists. I'd venture to say it's <10%.

Have you heard any year GT500 fire up? My '12 is quite impressive for a stock exhaust.

BlackOutUT

Established Member
April Fools?

In all seriousness it a pretty impressive. I got to drive one a few months ago. But I would never take it over an m3 or 500. Fit and finish is sub par in my opinion.

96 cobra

Established Member
In comparison, the local ford dealership wouldn't let me test drive a base mustang gt...

I'm hoping someone will bring a ZL1 to the autocross this season, when I'm instructing :)

ThomasL

Established Member
I'd be curious to drive one for comparison's sake. Don't mind the looks of em as far as Camaros go. Probably wouldn't want one no matter how much i loved the ride.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Being a previous BMW owner, I'll take the E92/E90 M3 over a Camaro 101 times out of 100.

Never_Enough

Established Member
In comparison, the local ford dealership wouldn't let me test drive a base mustang gt...

I'm hoping someone will bring a ZL1 to the autocross this season, when I'm instructing :)

In 2011 I was looking to buy a new CTS-V. I had one for an extended test drive & found a GT500 at a dealer down the road so I pulled in to drive it (In the V) & they would not let me drive it LOL!!!

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
It's a piece of shit considering it's a $60,000, 4,200lb pony car. Visibility, performance, styling, ergonomics and efficiency. It is very balanced though and magnetic ride is pretty sweet. Just buy a CTS-V. Why buy an ugly POS with a shit interior and shit visibility for virtually the same experience?

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
It's a piece of shit considering it's a $60,000, 4,200lb pony car. Visibility, performance, styling, ergonomics and efficiency. It is very balanced though and magnetic ride is pretty sweet. Just buy a CTS-V. Why buy an ugly POS with a shit interior and shit visibility for virtually the same experience?

Agreed. CTS-V better option in every way - although it's still a fat pig of a car. Over 4klbs is just too heavy, I don't care how great the balance or suspension is.

ThomasL

Established Member

But i wanna know how you really feel...

AAG

Established Member
Would rather have the 1LE Camaro and put a blower on it + save $10k.

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
And the comparison to the 13 gt500?

I know this will come off as whipped but I am dating a woman that I am looking to propose to. She can't drive stick and doesn't want to learn. The Zl1 comes in automatic as does the M3 and the CTSV. I would love a 13 gt500 but I would rather fight over something else.

I would like to know the the number of ZL1 owners that AREN'T brand loyalists. I'd venture to say it's <10%.

Have you heard any year GT500 fire up? My '12 is quite impressive for a stock exhaust.

I actually never owned a chevy. I heard the '07 but never anything newer, Roush and Saleen but not a shelby. I did not mean to disrespect your 12 gt500 and Im sorry if it comes off as me disrespecting anyone's ride. Thats not my intent.

April Fools?

In all seriousness it a pretty impressive. I got to drive one a few months ago. But I would never take it over an m3 or 500. Fit and finish is sub par in my opinion.

Yeah some of the panel gaps were.... sketchy. I love the m3, my respect for it is boundless. However 56X hp vs 41X is a huge gap.

CHevy 112, let me test drive the zl1 and I am 23 years old.

Being a previous BMW owner, I'll take the E92/E90 M3 over a Camaro 101 times out of 100.

I have owned an 04 m3 for 3 months I love BMW. That being said I would take a m3 over an SS, a zL1 makes me think though.

In 2011 I was looking to buy a new CTS-V. I had one for an extended test drive & found a GT500 at a dealer down the road so I pulled in to drive it (In the V) & they would not let me drive it LOL!!!

Yeah ford wont let me drive a gt500 but I can drive a ctsv, zl1, any vette, jag xkr-s, 911 (non turbo), used aston martin

IDK what fords deal is.

I thought the ctsv was like 70-80k? maybe im wrong?

THis was a dealer demo

60,000msrp

then invoice pricing + 3000 in rebates

I came up to under 56 otd

Would rather have the 1LE Camaro and put a blower on it + save $10k.

I was under the impression (again I could be wrong) that the zl1 has forged rods and pistons.

I am scared to SC a non forged motor as this is my DD

But, but, but......magnetic ride!!!......and, and....road course times!!

tbh the mag ride wasnt that great.

Id rather have a c6 grand sport with a blower on it. That thing will move

I need a back seat for my DD otherwise this or a c6z06

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
Give your girl the M3 and get whatever you want. If she doesn't want to learn to drive a stick it's her loss. And btw, if she aint into driving the stick you are gonna have some issues...know what I'm saying?

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
Love these threads and how butt hurt everyone gets when someone says something positive about a camaro.

For being the "4k+ lb pig", it handles better than a GT500. Yeah, the precious GT500 should be faster from a roll, but that "overweight pig of a car" sure doesn't have a problem keeping a GT500 in the rear view at a road course.

Incase you're wondering... I would still take a GT500 over one, but quit acting like it's a prius when in some aspects it's better than the GT500.

DOHC MARK VIII

Mustang ***** since 1970
Established Member
You guys seen the new Car and Driver plus Road & Track articles and road tests on the new Z-28? Wow, it's got to be the world's greatest car if you want to believe what they wrote (LOL). Yeah it a fast track car with it's "magic" suspension but 0-60 in 4.4 and quarter mile times of 12.7 at 116 puts it in base Mustang GT territory and the 2015 "specialty" Mustang (GT-350/Mach 1/Bullit/ or etc) will probably run off and hide from it both on the track and street. They've basically equaled the street performance of a 2007 Shelby GT-500 from eight years ago. How much does GM pay those guys for advertising?

Users who are viewing this thread